Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Safari battery problem

The Megatron (Interstate) batteries in my 2004 Safari have failed. Does anybody have know of a reliable replacement brand? What type is better gel or conventional water.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too soon will need to cross this bridge as mine went totally dead a few times which I hear is a no no.... I can tell they are not as prime as they were when first used the coach..... at any rate I've been happy with Die Hards in the car, but am not sure they would be good in the coach. I do know you should get a deep cycle type. I've been happy with both if the gel is the maint free type battery, but I am not sure deep cycle batts are gel type, but I'm no battery expert, just put the biggest one I can squeeze into the engine bay on the cars/truck for the real cold Chicago winters for the cold cranking amps and was thinking of the same Tim Allen method for the Safari too in the spring if my current batteries continue to degrade.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Absorption Glass Mat batteries have served me well so far. They are expensive, but I believe they're worth it. Mine came as part of the solar upgrade in my AS.

http://www.dcbattery.com/lifeline2.html
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
Add one more to the pile of trashed batteries- and from what I've seen, till you swap out that Parralax converter charger your batteries won't last very long. I went the WFCO route and also switched to 6 volt AGMs last year. Much faster charge times and they have a much better reserve capacity. I've got some nice long outing planned this summer and I'm really looking forward to putting these upgrades to work.
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
we switched too

We got the AGMs now after three battery failures on the 05. Do a search on 3 stage charging. You will find some links and info there on AGM. Yeah we haven't changed the converter yet only because it's freezing outside now, so we have the kill swith on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
Add one more to the pile of trashed batteries- and from what I've seen, till you swap out that Parralax converter charger your batteries won't last very long. I went the WFCO route and also switched to 6 volt AGMs last year. Much faster charge times and they have a much better reserve capacity. I've got some nice long outing planned this summer and I'm really looking forward to putting these upgrades to work.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I haven't been unhappy with the megatrons...I lasted nearly a full week boondocking, using lights, pump, stereo, etc. When the wallet re-coops from the recent outdoor shed purchase and the holidays, I am really going to consider one of those Yamaha prebuilt tri-fuel generators for extended boondocking. Not one to run the AC, just so I can create a wind tunnel with both my fantastic vents if it gets hot and not have to worry about the battery being totally drained.

Been looking for some plutonium to build a reactor/steam generator in my battery compartment so that I don't need any stinking batteries, but that stuff is hard to come by and Home Depot is always out.

**edit** the black helicopters just started to fly over my house....not sure why?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Wasafari
I spent most of the day researching batteries and converters. It seems your advice is good. I plan to upgrade to an electronic converter and will stay with flooded batteries. I looked at many internet sites and talked with local RV repair people. Apparently A\S (Thor) no longer includes the best quality components in our beloved trailers. It will cost about $600.00 to upgrade but I hope it will be worth the money to have a reliable system. Before making a final decision I will talk to Rod at C&G Trailer in Bellflower CA. He is the most knowlegable and reliable source of information that I know of. Unfortunatley for me he is on vacation at the moment.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AGM 6volt golf cart batteries will last the longest by far, plus you can draw them down 80% repeatedly with no adverse effects. While the batteries are surely important, the charging system is what really keeps them properly maintained. Look for a 3 stage 'smart charger' that gives you a bulk charge, followed by a float charge, followed by a maintenence charge. This type of charger will keep you batteries at peak performance. There is even a 'desulphate' option on some of the better chargers that will keep the electrolyte on those flooded cells properly mixed so the lead plates won't get sulphated and loose their charge potential.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Been looking for some plutonium to build a reactor/steam generator in my battery compartment
I'd take a Mr. Fusion (TM).

Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Battery Chargers

Hi All,
I reseble that remark of loosing batterys with no reason. I had a 50 amp charger in my 1985 Sovereign . I new it was noisy but did nothing to find out if the noisy sun of gun would turn of when the batterys are fully charge. Ofter the second set I put a volt meter on the batterys and monitored the 12 volts and guess what not shut down when the batterys were fully carged. Looked around to buy anothe bat. Charger fom AS but forget that they have one price for all 750 dollars. Finaly talked to one of my suppliers that sells baterry charges. He sold me a battery charger that will put out 30amps and will shut down when the batterys are fully charged. The cost was under 65.oo dollars.It has been two years so far and no problems.

Regards Russell in suuny Tucson Arizona
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote