Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I'm good up to about 100-105. I needed ac when it hit 118 in Kansas but I just found a quiet park with electric.

I grew up in Virginia without ac and spent many summers near Tucson Arizona in a trailer with just a swamp cooler. Apparently, I adapted. Who knows, maybe without all that ac y'all would too! Course maybe not.

But I personally will take heat over cold any day!

Me? Born in Phoenix, lived in SE AZ and SW NM most of my life mostly all with swamp coolers... worked outdoors in a laborious job,,,,, but.. sleeping in a 100 plus degree trailer when it isn’t necessary? um,, no. I am not that macho. Lol

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #62
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I must have a comprehension issue .

I have a large construction generator at home because at time the electricity will go out for several days at a time. I run that sucker around the clock for days. It isn't a quite Honda inverter generator, it is gasoline driven and I run it between my and the neighbors house. All the things I shouldn't be doing according to most of the posts here.
Well, somebody’s got to be comfortable, right? :
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Well, somebody’s got to be comfortable, right? :

I have run noisy generators for days on end when we have endured days long power failures. I kept generators running 24/7 at my parents house too. Nobody complained.

Maybe this means that RV people tend to be complainers?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m sure you realize that running generators on a construction site, and after natural disasters in various forms, is not the same as electing to run one all night to power your trailer AC...while parked in close proximity to other RV’s.

What exactly is being argued about at this point.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #65
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The majority of the posts here were lecturing at large. Don't do this or that, you better not offend, you should, I suggest, not safe, if the fumes don't kill you your neighbor will on and on.etc.etc. If that is not lecturing I don't know what is ?
If you choose to take offense at posts not addressed specifically to you, then on behalf of the entire AirForums community, I apologize for you taking offense.

I for one don't consider ANY post by ANYbody to be a "lecture," even if it ends up being instructional, no matter how it's phrased. All advice offered here on the AirForums is just that, advice. Which can be followed or ignored or disagreed with as each reader sees fit. No one here will hunt down any reader or fellow poster and force them to follow the advice offered.

I personally welcome fellow posters who disagree with something I say, provided they can support their opinion with fact, experience, and/or reference material. That way, I might learn something new, too. But disagreement that does not offer reasons for the disagreement won't give me a chance to learn from those who disagree.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I’m sure you realize that running generators on a construction site, and after natural disasters in various forms, is not the same as electing to run one all night to power your trailer AC...while parked in close proximity to other RV’s.

What exactly is being argued about at this point.

Maggie

At the same time, running a quiet inverter generator is not the same as running a noisy old fashioned construction generator either.

I think there are some people who would complain about a generator that they have to walk up into the campsite to know it’s running.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have been in a full hookup campsite and received a friendly suggestion in the morning that I not run my AC the next night and enjoy the fresh air.

Lol, I would politely retort that I would consider that suggestion.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #68
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Me? Born in Phoenix, lived in SE AZ and SW NM most of my life mostly all with swamp coolers... worked outdoors in a laborious job,,,,, but.. sleeping in a 100 plus degree trailer when it isn’t necessary? um,, no. I am not that macho. Lol
I ain't criticizin ya, as long as you're a respectful neighbor. Ain't a matter of being macho, just a matter of enjoyin my time off grid away from folks... and their kids/dogs/generators/etc....
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
You guys are awesome. I need 68F and low humidity. I only come out of the camper at night.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you choose to take offense at posts not addressed specifically to you, then on behalf of the entire AirForums community, I apologize for you taking offense.

I for one don't consider ANY post by ANYbody to be a "lecture," even if it ends up being instructional, no matter how it's phrased. All advice offered here on the AirForums is just that, advice. Which can be followed or ignored or disagreed with as each reader sees fit. No one here will hunt down any reader or fellow poster and force them to follow the advice offered.

I personally welcome fellow posters who disagree with something I say, provided they can support their opinion with fact, experience, and/or reference material. That way, I might learn something new, too. But disagreement that does not offer reasons for the disagreement won't give me a chance to learn from those who disagree.
I am not offended at all. I am amused. Anyone owning a genereator knows not to run it in enclosed places. All of us with any kind of common sense know not to offend and to be mindful of your neighbour. All RVs especially class a motorhomes come with instructions. If you can drive one I assume you can read.
Recently we spent 5 nights at an RV Park . It was above a 100 during the day and in the 80 at night. Everyone was running their AC 24/7. And if it would have to be on a generator no one would have complain.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I dont know about everyone elses upbringing, but I was brought up to have respect and consideration for others, in all parts of daily living.
I feel so guilty about the noise and fumes from firing up my old Onan to make a pot of coffee in the morning, I just reworked my inverter wiring so I can have my morning joe with silence for all.
I do have experience with the "Me first", "I am the only one who I care about" people out there. I do my best to tolerate their life style, and usually sit quiet and endure it, but when it comes to a unnecessary interruption of my sleep, you may be waking a pissed off grizzly from hibernation.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #72

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Anyone owning a genereator knows not to run it in enclosed places. All of us with any kind of common sense know not to offend and to be mindful of your neighbour. All RVs especially class a motorhomes come with instructions.
And yet the questions still come up here on the Forums, and people with Class B motorhomes with built-in generators tucked up underneath (outside, but still too close to windows and other places that outside air can enter the van) still sometimes wake up with CO poisoning, or worse, wake up dead. And many of us have anecdotes about neighbors who offended us by running loud equipment during quiet hours.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
And yet they still install these intrinsically dangerous devices on RV after RV.... It’s crazy!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What is kind of crazy too is how Onan hasn’t made a generator as quiet as my little Yamaha.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #75
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Don't get me wrong, I love my Yamaha. I've also run Onan's for a lot of years. If I *had* to pick one to keep going and going ... not the Yamaha. Onan is pretty conservative in their design approach on these units. Noise? The target audience isn't the crew that goes to quiet campgrounds ...... think parking lots ....

Noise next door for somebody in a tent is a bit different than noise next door if you are in an RV.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
But right now you have a Yamaha and not an Onan?

I don’t know, I have some experience years back with Onan gensets, compared to my Yamaha they were noisy, they vibrate, and while fundamentally very sound, they tended to be not as reliable as they could have been.

I think Cummins could make a better more refined generator in this day and age. They have the technology.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #77
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Amidst all this chatter, we recently spent the night at a KOA which provides 50/30 hookups at all sites and prohibits generators altogether. Just across from us, a Class A ran his generator all night anyway. Typical insanely loud, obnoxious motor home generator. It was unpleasant, to say the least.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Amidst all this chatter, we recently spent the night at a KOA which provides 50/30 hookups at all sites and prohibits generators altogether. Just across from us, a Class A ran his generator all night anyway. Typical insanely loud, obnoxious motor home generator. It was unpleasant, to say the least.

Lol, obviously the owner is not so bright.... A generator when hookups are available and paid for?

so,,,, is it right to be angry with him because of his disability?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #79

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
so,,,, is it right to be angry with him because of his disability?
Having more dollars than sense is a disability?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Running generator all night to power A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Having more dollars than sense is a disability?

running a noisy generator in a tightly packed campground when shore power is available is more an expression of lack of reasoning ability than a display of an abundance of money.... in my opinion anyway.

I suppose there is an outside chance that he might have had a broken transfer switch or something, but if that is true he should have moved to a more secluded parking spot...

I try hard not to be mad at people because they don’t exercise a minimum standard of cognitive application, I can’t be angry so many times a day.