Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
I sure am glad I prefaced my newbie question by apologizing in advance for any STUPID questions.
No one ever said it was a stupid question, and there was no need to apologize. The response was predominantly negative, but that doesn't make the question stupid.

And predominantly negative is not the same as completely negative. A complete reading of the responses should indicate that there may be some situations where it would be acceptable to run your generator at night, if you can take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety while doing so. As you gain experience, you'll get a feel for when it's okay and when it isn't.

Don't think of the answers you received as a wallop upside the head. We answer— and answer strongly— because we care about our fellow Airstreamers, not just you but anyone else in future times who stumbles across this thread with a similar question.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
High Cotton,
There are just plain dumb questions that can be figured out with a little thought. then there are questions that can only be answered through experience. IMHO your question definitely falls into the latter, so ask away.

You will see a couple of patterns on the forums. One is someone is a first time poster asks a dumb question and is never heard from again while forum members discuss (or argue) their respective opinions. IMHO it is good form to at some point acknowledge post reply just for members to know they are not talking in to their hat.

Another pattern is dumb responses to questions. (I plead guilty). Most the time I have gotten to the edit button in time but not always. It is easy with electronic media to stick your foot in a bodily orifice or to misinterpret a response leading to chafed elbows. Personally I try to post responses based on my direct experience not heresay, but this does not always happen. So take what you read with a grain of salt and your BS detector on.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, if you post a question on here, a public forum, you are inviting the opinion of others as to what you want or intend to do.

You may not always like what you hear, but you will hopefully get honest opinions that you can sort thru to determine what is best for you.

It is helpful for original posters to pop back onto threads they start, to respond to comments so that a) others know they are still interested and involved, and b) they can provide some feedback to comments regarding their question.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I run my quiet inverter generator anytime that; a) I feel is appropriate, AND B) it is not expressly forbidden.

Simply put, I spent money for a really quiet generator. If my closest neighbor is further than about 50 feet away, I will run my generator if I need or want...

While I respect other people around me, I do not believe that their desire for dead silence automatically exceeds my desires for comfort or utility.

Concerning the safety of running my generator all night, I really don’t see a lot of plausible additional risk.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The rare times I had a generator and no shore power, I didn't feel the need to run it all night. Unless you're camping in Florida in August it cools off at night. If you must have it cold, don't camp in Florida in August.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I run my quiet inverter generator anytime that; a) I feel is appropriate, AND B) it is not expressly forbidden.

Simply put, I spent money for a really quiet generator. If my closest neighbor is further than about 50 feet away, I will run my generator if I need or want...

While I respect other people around me, I do not believe that their desire for dead silence automatically exceeds my desires for comfort or utility.

Concerning the safety of running my generator all night, I really don’t see a lot of plausible additional risk.
I had one of those construction grade generators. Could not stand the noise so I got 2 inverter gennys. Still don't like the noise but it is tolerable.

Some people expect a wilderness experience in a campground. With kids, dogs, cars, parties, never will be. You can add a generator to that list. It is naive at best and imposing your values on others to expect true "peace and quiet" in a campground except one inhabited by mimes. That is not to say I don't respect my neighbors rights to a reasonable camping experience. Eventually you are going to get complaints about something. One thing you can do is stick a tuba in front of your camp. That will increase the privacy factor by 10.

I once was playing (not tuba) and singing when a neighbor complained. I asked him what kind of music he liked and then we had the best sing along.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

FWIW, I spend most of my time in the south and the southwest desert, I frequently run my generator all night, and will continue to do so... if I was into being uncomfortably hot all night, I would have considered a tent instead of an Airstream. #JustSayin

Old 10-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westminster , California
On our travels across the country we often take advantage of truck stops and rest areas to spend the night. In such places we are often surrounded by big rigs with their engines running. Our little inverter generator, out in the back of the truck, adds very little noise to the overall situation. Haven't tried a Walmart yet. Do big rigs ever use Walmarts?

On the other issue of running a built-in generator overnight, and not ever had a motor home or a built-in generator in a trailer, I have always assumed that a built-in generator was there to be used while parked where there is no electrical connection available. We see the occasional motorhome in truck stops and rest areas running generators. Wrong?

Again, on our travels, if it's hot, we plan on staying in campgrounds with hook-ups.
ralphcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
"Didn't have an accident" is not necessarily the same as "safely." Safety is about eliminating risk. Not having an accident is about not falling afoul of a risk, even if there was a risk present. I'll concede that you did it safely if you can tell me what precautions you took to eliminate the risks of running a generator that wasn't being monitored.

I placed it on the ground, outside of my Airstream. What else, exactly, should I have done to run it “safely”???

Am I supposed to be staring at the generator the entire time it’s running?

No.

The fumes were not going to get me. The heat was not going to get me. Heck, the thing could explode and it still it would not get me. So, to me, that is “safe”.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I had one of those construction grade generators. Could not stand the noise so I got 2 inverter gennys. Still don't like the noise but it is tolerable.

Some people expect a wilderness experience in a campground. With kids, dogs, cars, parties, never will be. You can add a generator to that list. It is naive at best and imposing your values on others to expect true "peace and quiet" in a campground except one inhabited by mimes. That is not to say I don't respect my neighbors rights to a reasonable camping experience. Eventually you are going to get complaints about something. One thing you can do is stick a tuba in front of your camp. That will increase the privacy factor by 10.

I once was playing (not tuba) and singing when a neighbor complained. I asked him what kind of music he liked and then we had the best sing along.

You put that well. I try hard not to be a stumbling block to my neighbors quality of life, but as with all things, there must be a medium of give and take. Never running a generator at night is “other peoples rules” of which I do not subscribe. That said, I think that there were posters on this thread that have taken way too harsh a tone and way too hard a line with regard to the original question.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I placed it on the ground, outside of my Airstream. What else, exactly, should I have done to run it “safely”???

Am I supposed to be staring at the generator the entire time it’s running?

No.

The fumes were not going to get me. The heat was not going to get me. Heck, the thing could explode and it still it would not get me. So, to me, that is “safe”.

I put my generator on the ground about four feet away from the head of my bed. No one hears the generator more than me, and while there may be some slight risk in allowing it to run “unattended”, the risk PALES to the risk of driving the TT combination from point A to point B.... Context matters.... a lot.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How about a compromise?
I won't run a generator if you keep your kids quiet and your dog from barking.
Suddenly the shoe is on the other foot!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Mostly, my response and several like mine were predicated on the principle of, “Please, don’t be *that* guy.”

If you enjoy being *that* guy, then it seems you and a few others here already know what to do.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Mostly, my response and several like mine were predicated on the principle of, “Please, don’t be *that* guy.”

If you enjoy being *that* guy, then it seems you and a few others here already know what to do.

If “that guy” is about everyone getting the most from their day, being polite and flexible in reasonable two way street accommodation, while not embracing unreasonable demands then count me as “that guy”.

Sorry, but lying down is sweat soaked sheets is not my idea of enjoyable camping....

Yeah, there are caveats, quiet generator, not right on top of neighbors, but blanket demands for no overnight generator use is not a reasonable position in my view, and not as cut and dry as a few posters here would like it to be.

We should all strive to be reasonable and prudent in dealing with our neighbors at home an on the road, while knowing full well that the squeakiest wheel is not always right.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If one is in a campground, you will not be able to run a generator any time you want to, and never at night. Period.

This has to do with campground rules, which have been universally restrictive on generator use, in my experience. There are many campgrounds with “no generator” loops, where they cannot be used at all, at any time.

These are not negotiated day to day, they are set for all.

The OP asked about running the generator all night to power the ac, if that was advised or ill advised, then another asked about running the generator all night in a WalMart parking lot.

If one is out in the middle of nowhere, with no one else around, run the generator 24 hours a day if that’s what you choose.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #36
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
If “that guy” is about everyone getting the most from their day, being polite and flexible in reasonable two way street accommodation, while not embracing unreasonable demands then count me as “that guy”.

Sorry, but lying down is sweat soaked sheets is not my idea of enjoyable camping....

Yeah, there are caveats, quiet generator, not right on top of neighbors, but blanket demands for no overnight generator use is not a reasonable position in my view, and not as cut and dry as a few posters here would like it to be.

We should all strive to be reasonable and prudent in dealing with our neighbors at home an on the road, while knowing full well that the squeakiest wheel is not always right.

You’re deliberately misunderstanding me and asserting that I’m making demands I have not made. Nice debate tactic.

Sorry, but lying down in my camper listening to your generator is not my idea of enjoyable camping.

Yes, we should all strive to be reasonable. Meanwhile, I’ll remind myself not to camp near you when boondocking.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have been in a full hookup campsite and received a friendly suggestion in the morning that I not run my AC the next night and enjoy the fresh air.
Yep, me too. I ignored the "suggestion". I follow the published rules. If I can listen to kids all night they can tolerate my whisper quiet AC.

My neighbor used to knock on my door on hot nights and tell me to shut off my porch light so the power grid wouldn't collapse. Nope.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
OP here. NOT lurking and NOT disappearing. I naively thought RV people were laid back folk. Don't FLAME me people.

I sure am glad I prefaced my newbie question by apologizing in advance for any STUPID questions.

Thanks for the MEMO. I get it now! NO OVERNIGHT GENERATOR RUNNING. Period. Exclamation mark!

Recovering from the 4 by 4 wallop upside my head. YIKES!

Use your best judgment. Location, location, location.

I know some posters who consider me as the lowest form of Airstream Owner, as I told them the truth about their... Boondocking Abilities. Being told one is incompetent in some area, does not mean they cannot continue to live their life as they want, but not with me as their caretaker. Not everyone deserves a trophy just for showing up...

Now that is taken care of...

Do not feel like an out cast... yet. I beat you to it, so get in line.

Many Airstream or trailer owners LEARN to 'camp seasonally'. The Mohave Desert of the Southwest USA in the cooler months and into the high country at this time is a good example. Then reverse with the seasons. You may be able to work that out as a compromise or Boondock Off the Grid and do not give it a second thought.

If you are Boondocked and isolated from humanity... go for it. Make sure you know that it will take two smaller Honda's to run an AC. Bigger if you are running two AC's. The fuel you will consume may discourage the use, when needing to refill the small fuel tank when it runs empty.

You will develop a thick skin if you spend any time on the Forum.

I already have a thick skin and a thick skull after living with ding bats much of my life. It comes in handy at times, but many jump to assumptions that you are dumber than I am, when they read a Newbie Post.

A furnace running during cold evenings might even get BAD FEEDBACK... so you cannot win.

I like the way you EMPHASIZE your words to get an idea ACROSS... you get the Bold Trophy for BOLD posting.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Look at the wonderful impact having further input from the OP created. Feedback is a good thing !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Make sure you know that it will take two smaller Honda's to run an AC. Bigger if you are running two AC's.
Reminder to all, the OP has a 2011 Airstream Avenue class B motorhome, with an on-board gasoline-fueled generator tucked up underneath. It's a little bit different having an on-board generator throbbing away under the bed when compared to setting a portable generator away from the vehicle at the limit of a shore power cable, both in terms of noise values and in terms of safety.