Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
Rotten egg / sulfur smell

Hello all, Im still a puppy here and have much to learn. Today when I went out to work on my Safari, there was a distinct sulfur smell. I have her hooked up to shore power and traced the smell to my battery. I had a deep cell marine battery from my boat that Ive been using for 12 volt. That thingy box is hooked up to it, I guess keeping it charged. Any reason my battery is warm/hot and emmitting that smell. Ive disconnected it, but everything has been working fine up until the fowl oder today?

Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
__________________

__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Check the water level in your battery. If the water level is good, you probably have a bad battery. If only one cell is very low, you probably have a bad cell. If your battery is over 2 years old, it probably should be replaced anyway.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
Thanks Terry, Its a maintenence free battery, can you get the tops off of those?

Scott
68 Safari
__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
aviontt's Avatar
 
, Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 185
Images: 5
The battery is OVER CHARGING..Find the cause sometimes dead cell, or the inverter/charger has a problem also check connections...The smell is hydrogen. Very flammable.
__________________
Worry will never change the outcome!!!
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
THANK YOU.
THE BATTERY WAS NEW 2 YEARS AGO AND WE ONLY USED IT ABOUT 5 TIMES FOR A 38 LB THRUST TROLLING MOTOR. THE INVERTER / CHARGER LOOKS LIKE IT MAY BE ORIGINAL. i WAS HOPING TO GET THOUGH THIS YEAR WITH IT AND REPLACE IT BEFORE USING THE AS IN THE SPRING. WE ARE GOING TO DELAWARE STATE SEASHORE CAMPING THE LAST WEEKEND OF THE MONTH, DO YOU THINK A FULL CHAGE ON MY BATTERY WILL GET ME THROUGH 3 NIGHTS OF CAMPING, LIGHTS ONLY?

THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THE HYDROGEN AND IT BEING FLAMABLE!

THANKS, SCOTT
68 SAFARI
__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Scott, you are overcharging the battery, the battery is bad, or possibly the battery is low on water (assuming it uses water). I don't know that much about marine batteries.

My '73 still has the original Univolt rectifier installed. It is going bad and will be replaced as part of the rebuild. It will actually boil the battery when run for more than a few hours. What this device does is take 110v AC and convert it to 12v DC to run the 12v stuff in the trailer and at the same time charge the battery. As I understand it (I'm not an engineer) these things go bad after 30 or 40 years (hint).

Do a search on Univolt or Intellipower using the search feature above. You'll find more info than you can imagine from the more experienced members on the 'Forum.

Good luck with it.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
Thanks Jim,

I think the maintenece free part of a marine battery is that it has no water. I got you hint and will use your suggestion to look for another inverter/charger. Thanks to all of you for the help and advise! This project and journey would not nearly be as fun without all of you!

Thanks again, Scott
68 Safari
__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
aviontt's Avatar
 
, Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 185
Images: 5
Put a volt meter across the terminals it should read 12.6 volts and no more than 14.2 volts to be safe.
__________________
Worry will never change the outcome!!!
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
I boroughed a voltage tester from one of my techs at work. I turned the breaker on to my converter/charger and tested the battery about every 10 minutes. It read between 11.2 and 11.6. Without the electric on to my converter/charger, the battery is dead. Within about an hour or so, the battery started to get hot from the top down. Should I try charging the battery with my auto 12v charger or just buy a new battery? If I do need a new battery, what would we suggest?
Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
aviontt's Avatar
 
, Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 185
Images: 5
Disconnect the battery and check the voltage if it reads below 12.2 (should read about 12.6) scrap it not sure about the battery you will need but a deep cycle marine or RV will work just measure the length, width, hight and get the same size. After new battery is installed check your voltage then...
__________________
Worry will never change the outcome!!!
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
New Member
 
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Hydrogen is flammable but it is actually odorless. Batteries are filled with sulfuric acid. If a battery is overcharged, it can boil off the acid, giving off the sulfur odor. Battery compartments should be well ventilated as hydrogen is very easy to ignite and could catch your trailer on fire. If you smell these odors, you should first shut off power to the battery charger and ventilate the trailer before doing work near the battery compartment that could cause even the smallest spark.
__________________
okst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #12
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
All indications point to a shorted battery. I would pull it out and take it to an auto parts store that store that has a battery tester. These devices do a pretty good job of evaluating the condition of the battery. I'll bet yours is a toast. Check the threads for replacement battery types and brands.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss1679
I boroughed a voltage tester from one of my techs at work. I turned the breaker on to my converter/charger and tested the battery about every 10 minutes. It read between 11.2 and 11.6. Without the electric on to my converter/charger, the battery is dead. Within about an hour or so, the battery started to get hot from the top down. Should I try charging the battery with my auto 12v charger or just buy a new battery? If I do need a new battery, what would we suggest?
Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
Scott

You have problems that are addressed in this link http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/
Everything you ever wanted to know about your batteries is contained at this site.
Good Luck
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 59
Images: 13
Hey all,

I decided to take everyones advise and replace my battery and converter / charger. My question is what amp to get. I have a 68 Safari that is 80%restored. I can only see us having the TV and maybe one other appliance on at the same time. Does anyone know what the original amp system is for the 68 Safari, or doesnt it matter? Im looking at something simple like the Inteli-Power by Progressive Dynamics.
Thanks, Scott
68 Safari
__________________

__________________
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sewer Gas Smell davespann Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 18 07-24-2016 09:57 PM
Rear toilet platform rotten, now what?? MontanaArgy Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 9 08-14-2005 07:46 AM
Bad cabin smell from new Solar instalation w9det 2001 Safari 7 04-21-2003 11:21 AM
Furnace exhaust smell Silvertwinkie Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 02-25-2003 08:54 PM
Absent Members hex Our Community 33 01-03-2003 04:18 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.