Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
freeland , Michigan
replacing uni volt

After yeaars of her annoying hum my uni volt has expired and I am replacing it with a 60 amp power max boondocker. My question is on the back side of the low voltage distribution panel are 2 lugs and they both appear to conect to the positive side of the fuse panel. If I attach the neg lead from the boon docker to rhe 1 post and the opos to the other I pop the GFI in my barn?? The 2 leads leaving the old UV had hooked to these 2 lug///What up
poldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You are correct that the output connects to the back of the panel. The GFI is supposed to protect you from the AC power and the DC output of the converter should not be an issue. Does the GFI pop if you do not connect the output wires to the panel?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
freeland , Michigan
no with lead from the new converter disconnected from the fuse panel I do not pop the GFI, the ac power in my barn is the gfi I am popping and if I do a continuity check across the 2 post on the back of the low voltage panel they are some how connected, that is what has me confused and I believe why I am popping the GFI
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are checking continuity on the 12 volt side between the + and -.
You may be reading thru light bulb filaments or transformers, if any switch is left on. There are other 12 volt devices that could be providing a path as well.
If you are reading between Ty's 12 volt DC negative and the 120 volt AC earth ground. You will read a short. Since they are both tied to the frame and skin of your coach.
Can you provide a reason why you are looking at the 12 volt side, when you are tripping the GFCI?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
freeland , Michigan
when I disconnect the 12 volt leads from the back of the low voltage distribution panel and plug in the new power all is fine and I read 14+ volts from the leads.. When I connect the positive from Power converter to lower post on the 12v dist panel and the neg to the lower post I plug in the power converter I blow the GVI
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post some pics of the low voltage panel?
Are you connecting to the same terminals on the low voltage panel with the correct polarity?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt