Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Replacing monitors?

I'm have become a *search queen* on this foum but I'm not having much luck finding this topic....

I'm trying to see if there is an easy way to change out my original monitors (switches/gauges) with new ones. I would like to completely *rebuild* the front control panel but NOT have to run new wiring and/or sending units. A friend had offered to make me a new cover-plate to update the look but that offer never transpirted.... I broke a number of the original switch-style connectors and a couple other parts are just not looking so great. I believe all the original parts worked up until the time that I tried to take the cover off to make a pattern. Then my thumbs got in the way and I fell victim to the bigger hammer syndrome - and now it's in pieces.

So, if anyone knows of a thread that addresses updating the original monitors, please let me know! Or a simple YES or NO (to the likelihood that my effort of changing monitors without significant work of rewiring & replacing senders) will work too.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm have become a *search queen* on this foum but I'm not having much luck finding this topic....

I'm trying to see if there is an easy way to change out my original monitors (switches/gauges) with new ones. I would like to completely *rebuild* the front control panel but NOT have to run new wiring and/or sending units. A friend had offered to make me a new cover-plate to update the look but that offer never transpirted.... I broke a number of the original switch-style connectors and a couple other parts are just not looking so great. I believe all the original parts worked up until the time that I tried to take the cover off to make a pattern. Then my thumbs got in the way and I fell victim to the bigger hammer syndrome - and now it's in pieces.

So, if anyone knows of a thread that addresses updating the original monitors, please let me know! Or a simple YES or NO (to the likelihood that my effort of changing monitors without significant work of rewiring & replacing senders) will work too.

Laura
Laura.

The switches are still available.

Later monitors operate differently than yours.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Laura does your central control panel look like mine. I had a friend make me a new faceplate from stainless. He still has the pattern in his computer and could amke another for a fee if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Control Panel 002.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	113993  
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Laura.

The switches are still available.

Later monitors operate differently than yours.

Andy

WOW - I really didn't think they would be That will obviously be my easiest remedy! Thanks Andy.

Laura
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Laura does your central control panel look like mine. I had a friend make me a new faceplate from stainless. He still has the pattern in his computer and could amke another for a fee if your interested.

wasagachris - I'll send you a PM. The faceplate that you have looks like the one my friend was going to make. He suposedly had it all patterened out and ready to take to his shop for cutting (including some font to make it much like the original) - though out of Al. That was months ago.....

Yours looks great!

Laura
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
WOW - I really didn't think they would be That will obviously be my easiest remedy! Thanks Andy.

Laura
Be very specific as to which switch or switches you want to replace as different types were used in your panel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
_

. , .
for the new search queen...

a very old thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...tors-1179.html

and a really recent rocket scientist thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tal-58532.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote