Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Replacing interior 120v Outlets

I know a number of you folks have already replaced some or all of the Wirecon/Diamond "speed wire" style crap-o-matic AC outlets in your trailer. This weekend I started with two. I used shallow "old work" boxes with the screw "fingers" that clamp the outlet to the wall. For the outlet that was at the end of the run and only had one romex cable into it, I used this smaller 7 CI box. For the other outlet that had romex going in and out I used this larger 17 CI box. I was fine with the depth of the box, but I did need to use my Dremel tool with a disk blade to cut out the wall a bit. It was like cutting butter and went very quickly. Once I did that, the boxes popped right it. The clamping fingers also worked out perfectly.

I had never looked at the Wirecon style rv/mobile home receptacles before, but once I did I was motivated to start changing them all out. I know they work fine most of the time, but the fingers that bite into the wires on the back side are rather flimsy. I am thinking twice about plugging in out electric heater into one of them after taking a look LOL. Over time, when it's not too hot out, I plan on changing them all out. I figure, why have an AC receptacle in AS that I wouldn't (actually couldn't by code) put in my house. Just FWIW.

Here a couple of pics showing the box in the wall and then with the cover. The stains are no extra charge from an earlier (previous owner) leak. Don't even get me going on leaks, I'm currently chasing one down in the back bedroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	265771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	265772  

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Aumsville , Oregon
Thanks for posting this info. Even if it didn't get much attention at first, I just found this helpful. I'll be looking for that shallow old-work box that wraps behind the wall. I think it'll be super useful, and hadn't seen one before.
pvfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfjr View Post
Thanks for posting this info. Even if it didn't get much attention at first, I just found this helpful. I'll be looking for that shallow old-work box that wraps behind the wall. I think it'll be super useful, and hadn't seen one before.
This is what I used. Fits nicely behind the shallow walls and the cover opens up as needed.

http://www.alliedmoulded.com/catalog...vices/p-122sc/
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Thanks, I haven't got around to inspecting these things yet. I doubt there's a serous fire hazard, but they certainly could be a nuisance, and possibly a shock hazard.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Fire is a term that might cover a range of things. If "turn black, toss out smoke, stink up the place" qualifies, then yes they could be a fire hazard. If burn down the trailer / great balls of fire is the qualifying event .... probably not so much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Vintage Trailer Supply carries a nice shallow box, but don't expect to install any receptacle that are anything beyond the basics...so no GFCI and no USB charge ports built in. I don't think you will find a shallow box that will fit those, so if you want a receptacle that has USB charge ports it will need to go in a location that isn't mounted in the exterior wall. YMMV obviously.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote