Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Question replacing glass fuses with blades

Greetings.
After searching for and reading many helpful posts on 12V problems, I started by checking the fuses on the Univolt. The first thing I noticed was that the left-most fuse block had all corroded connectors. I also pulled a few fuses, but found that removing and replacing the glass tubes is difficult amidst all that wiring, plus leaning over the back of the gaucho to get at the Univolt (plus having a broken left thumb that doesn't let me work as efficiently as otherwise possible!).

It seems to me I should start by replacing the fuse block. My question is, is there a significant difference between glass and blade fuses of the same amperage? If not, can I simply swap out the old glass fuse blocks for blade type without adversely affecting the system.

Thanks for your help.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
A fuse is a fuse.
Take pictures or document everything since each circuit "must" have a fuse of the same rating.
Do not work on it with power connected and disconnect the battery.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Those pesky glass fuses

The electrical design of Airstreams was controlled by the acounting dept not the engineers. Well that's my view. The good news is that anything made by man can be improved or modified by man.
I try to learn by the success of others who have an excellant history of success.
The aviation industry does electrics the best. A change to circuit breakers is my choise. I have divided a couple circuits and added a few circuits for the 12 volt power. The modern blade fuses are very easy, of low cost, and available about every where. An amp is an amp. The voltage is not critical, as I have used 24 and 28 volt aircraft breakers with no risk. There are fuse strips available from many suppliers.
Many times when the glass fuses are good the circuit does not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new wiring.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2379  
Old 08-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Have you replace your fuse block yet, if so can you provide info on where you got the parts.

I have a 1972 27' and want to replace fuse block as well, I live real nearby in Saline.
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
stayed with glass for now

I've stayed with the glass fuses for right now. I had bought a four-fuse block while on my trip last month. I think I got it at an Ace hardware near Milwaukee. then when we were in the campground I fooled around with a fuse for something that didn't work (marker lights - green wire) because the Univolt connection was badly corroded. While that didn't correct the problem (still working on that), since coming home I decided to put the remaining fuses into the new block. I found one fuse that looked fine, but didn't work. In another thread, someone had mentioned that you can't just go by the appearance of the blades; you have to test it. Very true. So now I have the auxiliary block wired up outside the Univolt. I'm not happy with the arrangement, but am running out of time to work on the A/S for the summer.

Hope that helps.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote