Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
replacing 30a plug

Whoops --- almost forgot about this. During my last trip, my 30amp connector became partially dislodged from the park proivded extension cord. (Darn kids - playing in the dark around my trailer!) This caused some damage to my plug and I need to replace it before my trip next week!!! Is there anything special about removing the damaged plug and wiring in a new one? Hopefully it is rather straightforward - like replacing a lamp plug. Right?



Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
you can do it

It is very straight forward. When you buy the new plug it has very simple instructions. I like the newer plug ends that have a handle grip on them. Take a look.
__________________

__________________
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
It is very straight forward. When you buy the new plug it has very simple instructions. I like the newer plug ends that have a handle grip on them. Take a look.
Cool - thanks! I did see one with a handle and thought it was unique

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Laura

Looking at your plug I'm not sure I would replace it...Let me share an old trick I learned long ago about plugs...If you look at the two bladed prongs you will see they are split. another words the look like a piece of metal folded over against itself...Now heres the trick stick something in the split like a knife to open the split jus enuff to get the blade of a screw driver in to the split,then turn the screw driver to spread the split which inturn makes the prong wider to provide a tighter fit in the receptical...Be carefull not to be too agressive as you will break it apart where it folds over... This can be done to any male plug that has split prongs...Now jus take fine sand paper and clean all the prongs and you have a tight cool running connection...If you need any further info jus let me know...

Greg
__________________
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
banjobill
 
wmarsha's Avatar
 
2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 510
which one is neutral?

the grounding spade is round; the neutral spade should on the right facing the ends of the spades (like your photo). green=ground; white=neutral; black=hot. sometimes the hot will be red; sometimes the neutral will be gray or grey. these last two color codes are not seen very often today.
ol' bill
__________________
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
TinLoaf's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 794
Images: 22
I just replaced then end of my power cord with one of the yellow plugs with the handle. It was pretty easy but the wires are thick in a 30 amp cord and it took some work to get the wires under the screws.
__________________
Steve
TinLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg N Cindy View Post
Laura

Looking at your plug I'm not sure I would replace it...Let me share an old trick I learned long ago about plugs...If you look at the two bladed prongs you will see they are split. another words the look like a piece of metal folded over against itself...Now heres the trick stick something in the split like a knife to open the split jus enuff to get the blade of a screw driver in to the split,then turn the screw driver to spread the split which inturn makes the prong wider to provide a tighter fit in the receptical...Be carefull not to be too agressive as you will break it apart where it folds over... This can be done to any male plug that has split prongs...Now jus take fine sand paper and clean all the prongs and you have a tight cool running connection...If you need any further info jus let me know...

Greg

Whoops again -- that's not my plug - but a pic I got of the web. My plug is in bad shape: melted in a place and blade pulling out from where I wrestled it off the extension (which didn't show any damage).



Thanks for the tips - I'll start with fixing this plug and then move on to replacing my backing plate (previously found that I put the LH/RH ones on my axle in reverse... DOH). Dang - why did I wait until the last minute to do this stuff?

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
More of a chore than it should have been

Couldn't locate one of those nice yellow handled plugs locally so I used one that I found at Lowes. It is (I mean was) hard black plastic. Went together fine until I tightened the final screw - which promptly broke the plastic and the thing was a gone-er. Finally made it to the RV store tonight ... 16 hrs and counting before departure on my trip.

Got home and really looked at the size of this new yellow-handled plug and thought "geeze, it looks kinda big". Sure nuf, it won't fit thought the cutout hole in the bottom of my bumper box. Doh. So, since the other RV parts stores are now closed I went ahead and pulled my power cord out the bottom of the box and secured the new plug. It won't pull completely back through to stow inside but, it's better than not being able to get it out the bottom! Crap. But it sure is easier to plug in with that handle!

This little hiccup will soon be forgotten as I continue throwing things inside ... grill - check, fan - check, dog crates - check, and on, and on...

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
C
Got home and really looked at the size of this new yellow-handled plug and thought "geeze, it looks kinda big". Sure nuf, it won't fit thought the cutout hole in the bottom of my bumper box. Doh. So, since the other RV parts stores are now closed I went ahead and pulled my power cord out the bottom of the box and secured the new plug. It won't pull completely back through to stow inside but, it's better than not being able to get it out the bottom! Crap. But it sure is easier to plug in with that handle!


Laura
Laura, just take a pair of tin snips and cut a slightly bigger hole for the plug. You may even get away with just cutting out a small notch for the handle of the plug, and just making sure the handle aligns with the notch when you put it through the hole.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed 30A hookup boondockdad Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 2 07-04-2010 06:31 PM
30A to 50A cord? Bambi_Bandit Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 9 02-04-2009 04:57 PM
30A or 15A ...in 67 Safari aircooled4 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 3 01-07-2009 02:41 PM
30A power inlet urbanfood Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 08-20-2007 07:24 AM
30A Upgrade to 30A + 20A Wayne Olson Classic Motorhomes 10 12-12-2006 04:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.