Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cameron , North Carolina
Replacing 110v main power line

Hi guys,
So many questions--so little time! It's a '63 26' Overlander with a "rotten" power cord(not sure the correct terminology, but the do-hickie that you plug in on the outside of the camper to get ac current flowing into the camper). Since our Overlander was radically modified by po, I'm not sure what is stock and what is not. The power cord comes out of this camper near the passenger side rear and is stored in a compartment that is near belly and is opened by unlatching two latches(not sure of what you call them either). After opening the compartment and pulling out the cord, it seems to disappear towards the rear of the storage compartment and up into the floor. Also, where would the fuse panel/circuit breaker be located? Any suggestions as to how to access and replace power cord will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Glenn

Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr63air
Hi guys,
So many questions--so little time! It's a '63 26' Overlander with a "rotten" power cord(not sure the correct terminology, but the do-hickie that you plug in on the outside of the camper to get ac current flowing into the camper). Since our Overlander was radically modified by po, I'm not sure what is stock and what is not. The power cord comes out of this camper near the passenger side rear and is stored in a compartment that is near belly and is opened by unlatching two latches(not sure of what you call them either). After opening the compartment and pulling out the cord, it seems to disappear towards the rear of the storage compartment and up into the floor. Also, where would the fuse panel/circuit breaker be located? Any suggestions as to how to access and replace power cord will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Glenn
Hey Glenn,

I had the same setup on my Overlander, before the modernization.
The breaker box should be in the hanging closet, or somewhere in the rear of the trailer. Look for a lonely breaker....in a grey box.
There is a junction under the bed on the streetside, the bottom of which is fed by the shore power cable. You should be able to disconnect it there and feed in a new complete cable assembly, complete with a 30A modern RV style plug. The cables are available at RV stores, or at Inlandrv.com.
I would suggest that you connect a pull wire to the old cable before pulling it out, so that you can then use the pull wire to "pull" the new cable through. You should be able to fit a nice length of shore calbe in the recess.
Good Luck, and remember - Overlanders Rock!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you can get a canadian spec cable that is longer than the original.

check the above mentioned dealer.

john
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cameron , North Carolina
shore cable

Many thanks uwe & john hd. I'll go out bright & early tomorrow and search for breaker box. The po installed a full-size tub on curb side where twin bed would have been, with a wall at the rear of tub, so I'm not sure if wiring will be accessible. BTW are there any sources for an original or close-to-original shower/tub for these models?
Glenn
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Many thanks uwe & john hd. I'll go out bright & early tomorrow and search for breaker box. The po installed a full-size tub on curb side where twin bed would have been, with a wall at the rear of tub, so I'm not sure if wiring will be accessible. BTW are there any sources for an original or close-to-original shower/tub for these models?
Glenn
Glenn,

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Full size tub, huh? Well, just remember - where there's a will, there's a way.
Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Hi guys,
Glenn
Hey Glenn,
There is a full bath setup listed for $20 on Ebay right now for a 1964 Overlander. I dunno if it matches your '63 original, but it matches our '65. My power cord was also rotted and ran under the trailer into a rear passenger side hole that had a cap (which matches the dump valve cap, see pic below) and into a breaker box in the bath cabinet. To hook up the electric, I have to remove the cap and feed the wire through the hole and to the power source, kind of a PITA. It was replaced with 30' 10/3 wire I bought from Lowes and a new plug was added. Replacement isn't difficult, just make sure to hook the wires back up in the breaker box the way they were (get an electrician to help if your unsure). In the near future, I'm going to add a shore power outlet to the exterior of the trailer like the ones found on boats just to make connecting things easier. I've already done this for the water hookup. The two latches are probably "cam-loc" type, they have a small loop and spring. Good luck! --dave

And Uwe, your right! Overlanders Rock!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overlander Power Outlet.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23318  
Old 07-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Glenn:

Uwe and others have given you good advice that will help you.

I take it that your present cord coils up in a compartment?

If you want to have a DETACHABLE system, like Dave is thinking of, it would be easy to install one exactly the same as on a 2006 Airstream.

Marinco makes the INLET and CORDSET used.

http://www.marinco.com/

Camping World, West Marine and others sell the Marinco 30A CONVERSION kit, which will allow you to do this yourself. The instructions that come with it are very precise and easy to follow.

Sergei

Attached Images

Old 07-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cameron , North Carolina
Thanks to all!

Thanks again to everyone for advice, both for electrical cord, and especially to "streaming65", for clue on ebay shower/toilet assembly. I'm still searching for where electrical power cord disappears to. Yes, ewe, where there's a will there's a way, but I just hope my will can endure the way!
Glenn