Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Replacement breakers for a 79?

We've had some electrical issues over the years on the '79 sovereign, which I've addressed by

- buying a new univolt when the first one died
- replacing fuses when they blew out
- reducing the electrical load on the 15A GFI breaker which seems to be responsible for all electrical outlets & the univolt).

This last one, however, is getting weird -- specifically, the breaker trips even when there's basically nothing on (some but not all 12V lights, a laptop). (I'm not sure, but it's possible the fridge is also on the same circuit).

I heard a rumor that GFI breakers get weaker the more they trip. If that's true, after 30 years, that would explain why this breaker's got a hair trigger.

1) Is there any truth to that rumor?

2) If it's a reasonable idea to replace the breaker, where can I find one? Home Depot had nothing that looked like these (see pix). The box is labeled GE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	106348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	106349  

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	106350  
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I found one at a local mom 'n pop hardware store. Home Depot should have them, doesn't mean that they are in stock. There are three HDs in Little Rock/North Little Rock. The one closest to me, on Baseline Road, is by far the worst about keeping their shelves filled and getting help. I often have to go to another HD or somewhere else.

Speaking of the age causing breakers to trip, it's true of all breakers not just Ground Fault ones. While you have the panel off, replace them all. The GFCI breaker is the only expensive one, the other three are inexpensive. All will be GE, as the box is GE, should be easy enough to find..
Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Intelipower converters have been an issue for many when connected to a GFI breaker. You may want to take a look at this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...gfi-43187.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
While GFCI devices do fail it is unusual for them to become more sensitive to ground faults as they age. It is common for breakers to become more sensitive to overcurrent with age and in particular with repeated trips or switching under load, which increases contact resistance, leading to more heating inside the breaker.

Those are common breakers available from a variety of manufacturers. Look for GE or Square D "Homeline" or any breaker sold as a universal fit.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I had to replace my GFCI breaker. It kept tripping for no obvious reason and after checking everything possible I assumed it was just old.

I found a replacement breaker at Lowe's. It wasn't expensive, and while I didn't look, I assume they carry the non GFCI breakers too.

Since I replaced that breaker it hasn't tripped, other than when I periodically hit the test button.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I changed all the breakers on my '78 Ambassador. All my breaker troubles went away. No problems now.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Angry grumble...

I got a "square d" breaker, but it's not the same shape as the ones I have. Is "homeline" the key differentiator? The attached picture shows the old breaker in the back and the new square d in the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	108238  
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Your breaker looks like the older style GE. What brand label is stamped on the cover of your box? That will tell you what brand breakers you need to purchase. Also take the old breaker in and try inserting it into the panels on display. The Square D and GE are real close, but not close enough.

-thomas
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My box is GE. It also kind of looks like your old one in back, the one with the pigtail line, says General Electric but it's out of focus so I can't really tell.

Is the new one a GFCI model? My replacement had the "pigtail" line attached.

See if you can exchange the Square D for a GE.

Tags
1979, breaker, electrical, parts