Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygus View Post
Thanks, idroba! I'll give that a shot. I'm searching for a retailer here in Southern CA that has a PD4655 in stock. I'd like to get the swap done today.

Does anyone know of a Southern California/Orange County distributor that sells to the public that might have one in stock?
If you can't find one locally, Best Converter can probably overnight one to you.

4600 series Upgrade Kits

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Rroberts40,
Nice post, thanks for kicking it off.

Rroberts40 and Lucky Dog,
What made you want to change the Paralax out to begin with? Smarter and more effective charging system?

Thanks a million for taking the time to post specifics and insights here on the install. This is very valuable and adds in a very big way to the Forum.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Any where the wind blows me , California
I finally figured out my problem. The black positive wire was somehow hooked to something in the back of the converter, so I thought it was attached to something in the back. I was able to free it and install properly.
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.
Julie
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Rroberts40,
Nice post, thanks for kicking it off.

Rroberts40 and Lucky Dog,
What made you want to change the Paralax out to begin with? Smarter and more effective charging system?

Thanks a million for taking the time to post specifics and insights here on the install. This is very valuable and adds in a very big way to the Forum.
I changed mine out for one simple reason: I wanted to be able to leave my trailer plugged in most of the off season and not worry about boiling the batteries. Now I am not foolish enough to believe and can plug it in for 3 months and walk away so I will continue to watch the water level etc but I know that the original Paralax converter will boil the batteries if I leave it alone too long. I have faith the PD4655 will give me more leeway and time between checks etc...
Rrroberts40
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Julie
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I didn't get back to answer sooner. Work still gets in the way..

Alphonse
Ditto what Rrroberts40 said. You are correct, the PD4655 is a "smarter" converter, with better charging capabilities. An upgrade from the original Paralax.
Rich
WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
I hate to say it once again but for what an Airstream costs it should have a PD4655 installed originally...jus sayin'...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrroberts40 View Post
I hate to say it once again but for what an Airstream costs it should have a PD4655 installed originally...jus sayin'...
I agree. Cost me about $200 retail, so what could be the diff to Airstream? But I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, all those little upgrades on my original $60k base price trailer and we'd be talking real money! That's what we get for wanting "different" than SOB. A lot of my friends ran Chevys. Me, I liked Pontiacs. Them..$ Me....$$$ Go figure. Next thing you'll be wanting LEDs standard!

Rich
WBCCI #1512
2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
stop gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Shut the circuit breaker off for the old Paralax converter and hook a regular maybe 10 amp battery charger to the batteries out on the tongue. You should be OK until your new converter comes and you have time to install it.
This is an excellent suggestion. My neighbor has an el cheapo 3 stage battery charger I used for 10 days last January after my converter was fried. It kept my battery from being ruined as well. I'll post the details on brand/model when I get a chance...it might be a good 'emergency item to have on hand (and it weighs less than 2 pounds).
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Any where the wind blows me , California
Not to worry Rich, I understand about that work problem! I'd rather be Airstreamin! I just appreciate this forum and all the great people that are willing to share their knowledge.
Julie
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
I agree. Cost me about $200 retail, so what could be the diff to Airstream? But I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, all those little upgrades on my original $60k base price trailer and we'd be talking real money! That's what we get for wanting "different" than SOB. A lot of my friends ran Chevys. Me, I liked Pontiacs. Them..$ Me....$$$ Go figure. Next thing you'll be wanting LEDs standard!

Rich
The problem is (I think) that Airstream uses the Paralax panel which is an integrated 120 volt and 12 volt system with the converter/charger included. It is very convenient for them to have all the systems in one place and buy one panel for all. The problem is that Paralax does NOT make a 3 stage converter/charger so if AS wants to use the one piece power center they cannot get one with a 3 stage converter/charger. They would have to essentially rip out the Paralax converter/charger parts and put in another brand, essentially voiding any warrantee from Paralax and adding a lot more work on the assembly line.

Apparently no one makes an integrated 120 volt circuit breaker panel and 12 volt panel, with a 3 stage charger included. And Airstream does not want to use three separate systems like they did in the past, with a 120 volt circuit breaker panel, a 12 volt fuse panel, and a converter/charger (Univolt). I can't blame them, but wish that I didn't have to do the change out myself, a month after I paid big bucks for a 20' FC.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #25
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
I guess putting it that way makes sense. I do like the integrated nature of the setup. Airstream needs to put a little horsepower out and get parallax or somebody to step up and build a 3 stage setup. The technology exists so let's get into the 2010's.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Laguna Niguel , California
I bought a battery charger and hooked it up externally to the two batteries before heading out on an eight day work trip. My wife reported last night that the 12VDC components are still working, so I have my fingers crossed that she'll make it through the next six days.

When I get home, I'll be doing the upgrade to a 4655.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the forum!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
Jaojamjab

The main pos and neg battery wires are thick and pretty stiff and a little tough to work with but with the little extra slack provided, I was able to get them in place on the new board with out too much trouble. I then installed the new DC board and transferred the wires from the old board to the new board one at a time, in the same order. I found that easier than having two boards flopping around in the same space. Yes, there are more than enough connectors, I just lined them up in the same sequence as the old board.

Rich
Thanks Rich, we just installed the converter and your photos and descriptions were a great help.

In retrospect I would've run the larger battery cables behind the board. Also, note that the left most circuits, numbers one and two, were suggested for only low current circuits. I avoided those.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGal04 View Post
In retrospect I would've run the larger battery cables behind the board.
It's not as easy as it sounds or looks. This picture makes it look easy, but that was probably the hardest part of the job. You did better by not trying it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote