Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Replace electrical distribution panel?

Our 1967 22' Safari has the original Wadsworth 115 V, single pole box with 2 - 20 amp breakers. This is plugged into 30 amp shore power. Previous owner added AC to one of the breakers, the propane refrigerator was replaced with AC electric and propane furnace removed so heat is now a small AC electric plug in. It should be no surprise that breakers trip more often than desirable. We also would like to add a 1000 watt microwave or toaster oven.

There could be multiple steps to solving this but should one step be to replace the electrical panel and breakers? Space available is no more than 5" deep, 10 3/4" high and about 8" wide. I would like to have additional breakers, perhaps 3 or 4 - 15 amp breakers. Conditioning the power to minimize damage from fluctuations would be sweet as well. If the panel should be replaced, is there a product available that fits the situation?
Thanks!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67AS Safari elec.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	175995  
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Electrical service

In my former life I was in the electrical equipment distribution business. Without the catalog at hand to be sure, a six circuit panel should be available that would just about fit in the available space. My recommended brand would be Square D. That is what I sold. If you put a 30Amp RV plug on the cord to feed the panel it should be a 10 gauge cord, 3 conductor. Generally the size of breaker is determined by the size wire in the circuit. !0 AWG is rated at 30A, 12AWG is rated at 20A and 14AWG is rated at 15A. So if the circuit in your TT is 12 AWG a 20A breaker is used to protect the WIRE, not what equipment is on the circuit. You would have to determine what size wire has been used on each circuit. Remember the diversity factor is at work in this case as it usually is, i.e., not all items are going to be using power at the same time. For example, the AC and 1500w heater are not going to be running at the same time. And the other equipment will cycle on and off as needed. Hope this helped and if I can be of further help, let me know.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote