Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
Looks like I need to focus on AM Solar and take a look at Renogy for price comparison. I already know I cant afford Lithium Batteries, and will look into AGM. Since I'm taking my TT apart right now I just want to ensure that Solar wiring is in place before I put the skins back on regardless if I install it right now or not. Im the type that over researches crap all the time. There are so many threads and solar brands that my brain is about to explode. With that being said thank you all so much for your input. Ill contact AM Solar in the morning for some more much needed advice. Oh, the reason I was looking at Grape Solar is because Costco sells it and they have the best return policy.
ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
I have an older yeti 400 with the agm battery. I just used it this past week, 5 days on a little coleman refrigerator. Although I do like goal zero, it's quite pricey when it comes to charging with goal zero solar panels.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
I think the bulk of money is spent on lithium batteries so I've opted to stay with AGM's in hopes of keeping my cost down. Im stuck on the order of operations to configure my system. For instance to I start with the solar panels, and work down or do I start with the size of the inverter? I guess I'll get a little more clarification once I contact the AM Solar, Go Power and Renogy and see what they tell me. Should be interesting.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #24
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
I've been using 2 100w Suoaki flexable panels for 5 months now, so far so good. My controller is Midnite's Brat very water resistant pmw 30amp. I have a liberal arts degee and the set still charges my batteries with good sun to float level by noon. Love that each panel is only 5lbs. Use it as a portable system, storing the panels on the bed when traveling or not needed.
I plan on using mine as additional portables, as well. I like being able to place the panels in various locations, like a few days ago I was camped in the forest under the shade of a large Maple tree and the panel was 30ft away in the sun charging up my batteries.

Also, inverters are very innifiecient, the stock 1000w inverter that came with my airstream will eat more power than anything I'd plug into it. What you want to do is try to do as much with 12v as you can (get 12v plugs for anything that makes em). So don't go plugging your cell phone or your tablet or even your laptop into the inverter, it wastes too much power. Instead, charge them via USB or a cigarette lighter plug.

You can make a cheap version of that yeti. Just buy a 12v battery of your choice, put it in a battery box and wire in an inverter, a 12v socket and a charge controller. Will save you lots of money. Renogy is also making their own version of that yeti box: http://wp.renogy.com/lycanpowerbox.html

One thing to keep in mind is that solar tech is where cell phone tech was in the early 2000s. Back then, every new phone was a giant upgrade and a huge breakthru but nowadays it's hard for them to come up with really exciting new phones cause the tech has stabilized. Same with solar. 3 years from now, any batteries or panels you bought today will be dinosaurs! But eventually, it will stabilize and major upgrades or breakthrus will be less frequent.

That's why I'm in no rush to put more holes in the trailer.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks for all the great data.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #26
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I wouldn't be surprised if they figure out how to make the whole trailer roof outta panels within the next couple years. Like those shingle roofs they're makin for houses now. Soon we won't ever need electric hookups. It's gettin pretty close.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #27
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
15k.... practical?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
you can do an awesome AGM systems for around 4K, if you go lithium double that. AM solar is the place to go and learn. I also bought there. They have INCREDIBLE support for the DIY. Search these forums, many of those who answered above have documented very well their systems and why they chose what they chose.

Here is a link to my journey in solar, and I knew ZERO about it as we just bought our first RV 7 months ago.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-a-162955.html
Old 06-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
AM Solar......but then I'm just a little biased!! .......
One day soon I'm visiting Lew at AM Solar 👍
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
AM solar…zamp panels..made in Oregon…
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If money is more of an issue than weight or space, or you don't need 1000 amp-hours of storage, you can do fine with AGM batteries in most cases and wait a few years for the price of more exotic battery chemistries to come down.
that's my plan going portable route with agm batteries
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote