Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Removing Zamp three-outlet plug/housing

Removing the housing for my factory Zamp solar plug would make overlaying a new skin a lot easier. Sure looks like everything is “non dissassemble”.

Any suggestions for removing the housing without making re-installation a lot of (extra) work?

I was hoping I could somehow remove the plugs from the housing but it doesn’t look possible without destroying the housing/wire/plugs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	355808

doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Hi all -- bumping my thread here. Surely someone has removed one of these units!! : /

Any suggestions on how to get this thing off (in a way that it can be re-installed)??

Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Looking it up, Zamp has what is called a solar port. It is that round plug with a short pigtail (looks like 18"). It definitely is attached somewhere in the ceiling. If it is near an AC intake or vent, I would look around in the ceiling to see how it was connected to a longer run. It also may have been specially made for Airstream and a one-piece wire running to the controller. In that case, you have no choice but to cut it and splice it later if you have enough slack.

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Yep....tried as best I could to try and separate any of the plug components from the wires, but I believe you are right: it seems to be a one-piece molded component. I ended up cutting the wires with as much slack as possible. Fortunately I ended up with about 4", which should be plenty for whatever solar junction box I end up replacing it with.

A couple of small notes:

-The wires do have 'incisions' in them caused by the small yellow 'tap splice' connectors used (not sure if I'm using the term correctly). I believe the actual wiring is more or less intact and should still be useable. I'll use liquid electrical tape, then 'proper' electrical tape around the incisions to seal them up (though even as-is, no conductor is exposed).

- There was very little slack to be gained (less than 1") from inside the skins (i.e. pulling on the wire was ineffective).

Now I just need to start doing some research on a replacement for the Zamp connector. I'm probably not going to be buying Zamp panels anyway as they seem pretty pricey. Wonder if Renogy has one.