Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Removing Sony Radio - 2012 FC?

I've taken the plastic bezel off, and there seems to be no screws holding the radio in. I removed the speaker on that side and can't feel anything up inside.

I would love to get this awful thing out and replace it with a good radio. Anyone know how these come out?

The wood panel it is mounted to seems to have absolutely no external screws or bolts.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It's a DIN radio, I believe. There'll be 2 flat "keys" that came with it that you insert into a slot on either side of the radio, probably behind that bezel you removed, and they'll release the radio.

If you didn't get the keys along with the head unit's books and accessories, they're a common item. Amazon sells a whole set for example.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You need the radio removal tool which is two metal forks that insert on either side of the radio, bezel removed. They release a couple of latches allowing you to pull the radio out. If you do not have the ones that came with the radio you can buy them at Amazon, Ebay, etc or your local audio shop can pull it. But I have not found anything with better features.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Look in the packet of owner's manuals that came with the trailer. You should find your Sony's manual. In it, there are a couple of "radio removal tools"- 2 flat pieces of metal that you insert into slots on both sides of the radio to release it from the sleeve. If you cannot find the radio removal tools a straightened paper clip will do. The radio removal tools may be in a kitchen drawer with the external propane hose and other trailer gadgets.
Why are you dissatisfied with the Sony? I love mine.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'd like to get rid of my Sony as well. I do have the keys - darn near threw them out as I initially had no idea what they were, but luckily I did not.

My Sony works fine - for what it is - but has no aux input nor ability to use an USB drive or SD card, so no ability to use MP3's sand/or iPod/iPad.

I can use an FM transmitter, but it doesn't work that well - I suppose due the external antenna location.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
KEYS! Ok folks, thanks. Maybe they are even still in the manual bag. I will look in a few minutes. Good thing I didn't pull too hard.

As to the actual radio, it doesn't meet my standards for useability. Too may small buttons that are software activated, the buttons don't make particular sense, and if there is an AM band, I can't find it. Like most "all purpose things" that are designed with software, it does nothing very well and requires a huge manual to find all the million small functions. I'll probably look for an old mechanical radio with a mechanical on/off and a tuning knob. Something I can use without a book. Please no flames - - I realize most people love gadgetized things, I'm just the oddball that hates these kind of designs!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It really just functions as a switch/input selector for the whole system.

Like most modern devices of its ilk, it makes incredible use of a very few controls that are most 'inscrutable'. If you don't care to learn them, you will be best advised to look at competitive models to see if they differ in this regard BEFORE removing the Sony.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Looked through the entire briefcase of manuals and materials that came with the trailer and found no keys - NUTS!. I see the ones on Amazon are a whopping $10 bucks! I think I'll try some brass shim stock first.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
All of these modern toys are so un-inuitive (is that a word?) as to how to operate all the push buttons that what I now do when acquiring a new one is to make a condensed set of operating instructions from the manual and store my version in laptop/ipod/ipad.

That way, if I get stuck on the road I always have a handy reference! I have had to resort to it more than once!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Looked through the entire briefcase of manuals and materials that came with the trailer and found no keys - NUTS!. I see the ones on Amazon are a whopping $10 bucks! I think I'll try some brass shim stock first.
I did find mine just loose in the pocket of the AS zip bag that contained the manual - there was no indication as to what they were. I bought the trailer used.

Any chance yours might be lying inside the cabinet where the radio is housed? I imagine you have already checked all the cabinets.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I wanted to replace the decade old unit that came with my Lotus and didn't have the keys; long story short I used the same technique that someone who doesn't own the car would use (youtube it) and used two steak knives. Came out clean and fast with not even a scuff on the aluminum structure or composite dash, kind of impressed myself there. If nothing else I now have an appreciation for how pointless the anti theft measures that Kenwood and Sony employ, function in the real world.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'd like to get rid of my Sony as well. I do have the keys - darn near threw them out as I initially had no idea what they were, but luckily I did not.

My Sony works fine - for what it is - but has no aux input nor ability to use an USB drive or SD card, so no ability to use MP3's sand/or iPod/iPad.

I can use an FM transmitter, but it doesn't work that well - I suppose due the external antenna location.

Brian.

It is probably time to get a new unit, but before you do (once you get it out) look for auxiliary inputs on the back of the unit. My new Sony does everything.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
All of these modern toys are so un-inuitive (is that a word?) as to how to operate all the push buttons that what I now do when acquiring a new one is to make a condensed set of operating instructions from the manual and store my version in laptop/ipod/ipad.

That way, if I get stuck on the road I always have a handy reference! I have had to resort to it more than once!

Brian.
Pity we have to resort to cheat sheets for a dang radio, isn't it? This one isn't really useful to us. It has no AM, has no WX, and it's performance on what it does do is crap anyway. And RV radio without WX? Seems absurd to me, but I am just one guy. I like the look so far of the Jensen RV radios.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I once had a Lexus. The radio had an alarm clock function. Strange in a SUV, but would be wonderful in an Airstream. Waking up to music instead of the damn cell phone or clock alarm.

I did finally read the instruction burner on my induction burner and figured out how to have a teakettle of hot water ready for coffee when I woke up. That makes a pretty good wake me up, but I'd still prefer music.

Post if you find a replacement radio with an alarm please.

Paula
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

Have you looked wherever all the other trailer gadgets (the kohler faucet tool and propane hose for the external LP port) are for those keys?
Do you have a set of feeler gauges or a couple of paring knives?
Stop by your local car stereo store. They have hundreds lying around. They will probably give you some.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
KEYS! Ok folks, thanks. Maybe they are even still in the manual bag. I will look in a few minutes. Good thing I didn't pull too hard.

As to the actual radio, it doesn't meet my standards for useability. Too may small buttons that are software activated, the buttons don't make particular sense, and if there is an AM band, I can't find it. Like most "all purpose things" that are designed with software, it does nothing very well and requires a huge manual to find all the million small functions. I'll probably look for an old mechanical radio with a mechanical on/off and a tuning knob. Something I can use without a book. Please no flames - - I realize most people love gadgetized things, I'm just the oddball that hates these kind of designs!

All of them have too many small buttons and controls that are software based. I have had Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood,too.
Alpine seems to have better sound quality and is a little more user friendly. I like actual rotary knobs way better than pushbuttons for everything. I am quite impressed with the Sony. I love the abilty to bluetooth music or phone conversations from my iPhone or iPad.
To get AM, push the "band" button 3-4 yimes to get past FM1, FM2, and FM3.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yimes = times
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I am quite impressed with the Sony. I love the abilty to bluetooth music or phone conversations from my iPhone or iPad.
To get AM, push the "band" button 3-4 yimes to get past FM1, FM2, and FM3.
=================
Right. When people USE a feature, they tend to learn how to make it work and so on. I have no interest in Bluetoothing, have no interest in getting light shows, ZAP, or Heart button, don't even know what it does. I want to turn on the AM radio and the WX band and actually turn a tuning knob to scan the dial. Takes five seconds on a cheap table radio and takes forever on this Sony. BTW, I pressed the band button and cycled around FM1, Fm2, FM3 and back to FM1. I'm sure it's a fantastic radio. It's just not one that interests me or serves any of my needs. When I finally pry it out of that cabinet I think I am going to put it under my rear tires of the Suburban and run over it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Oh, no!
Give it to someone who will enjoy it.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sell it on eBay or Craig's list for $50.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955