Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Removing Old Univolt & Installing New Intellipower 9160

I have searched past threads re: removing/installng the old Univolt & installing a new Intellipower converter. The problem that I am experiencing is that I cannot figure out how to remove the Univolt from my 79-31' International. The Univolt is housed in a recessed area just below the distribution panel at the front of the trailer and I have been able to remove 2 of the screws that hold the "front legs" of the Univolt into place. There are/is obviously something else holding/adhering the Univolt in place to the plastic housing but I cannot see it (using a flashlight) and I don't want to force anything. Does anyone have any experience with removing/installing a Univolt/Intelipower in this era trailer? Thanks,

Montnanandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
The screws were difficult to get to in mine as well, but there should be 3 or 4 screws securing the univolt to the bottom of the plastic housing that the univolt is in (mine had 3). What I did was remove wood panel in front of the univolt (drilled out the rivets, etc), which exposed the entire plastic housing that the univolt is in. I then made a three sided cut in the plastic right where I thought the screws would be to gain access to them. When I had it out I just "folded" the cut piece back down and put some duct tape over it.

Hope this helps.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Removing Old Univolt & Installing New Intelipower

Craig:

Thanks for the advice. Your solution sounds like the one I will take if I cannot find the remaining 2 screws while fishing around the compartment with a flashlight.

Curiously, the service manual for the 1979 AS I have addresses removing the Univolt by 1st removing the 4 screws that hold the cover of the Univolt in place and then removing the screws from the "feet" of the Univolt. There is not a diagram in the manual as to where the Univolt cover screws are located and I don't see them when I am shining the light around.

Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Univolt power supplies etc.

I have an Argosy that has a Univolt supply.
Mine was installed in a cupboard under a shelf back from everything. It was mounted on 2 wood slats and the front was not bad, BUT THE REAR 2 WAS TERRIBLE.
i HAD A BAD TIME GETTING THEM OUT. WITH THE 2 IN THE FRONT OUT i PRIED THE BACK 2 OUT. With words of much wisdom as you can imagine. How Unkind Air-Stream/Argosy is and was.

My initial problem is that the out put of the power supply was down and low. (6 volts)

On my service bench I discovered that the power transformer is and was a 6 volt supply. And an AC capacitor ( the same as used in motor starting) made the circuit a voltage doubler. Cost of Capacitor was $8.00 and I checked all the diodes and other parts. assembled and installed unit (without the back screws and all is well.

The power supply is not a DC supply it is an AC supply that charges the battery.

IT has one input fuse and several output fuses all in parrallel.

Any othe info just E-Mail me.

Rae Baker VE3CZN
rbaker@nas.net
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote