Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
Remove one battery permanently

Very seldom do I boon dock, when I do I have a EU 1000 for battery charging. My question both batteries need replacing if I replace only one and tape up the + cable on the other side everything should work fine other than reduced 12 Volt capacity ? correct ?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, but I wouldn't rely on tape. I would remove the batt furthest away from the converter and remove the battery leads for the removed one at the junction of the present cables.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you're using the same amount of electricity off one battery as you did off two, you'll be charging that battery twice as often. If cost savings is the driving force behind the change, you might want to figure out how many hours you can run your generator for the price of that second battery.

Chances are, if you don't boondock often, running on just one battery and charging twice as often WILL be cost-effective. Especially if you time your recharges so that the main energy hogs can run directly off the generator while you're charging the battery.

For other people who spend a significant amount of time boondocking, that second battery might eventually pay for itself in terms of saved generator fuel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Also take into account....

If you determine after a Season of Camping/charging that you do need two batteries, you'll have to buy two new for best results.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
Very seldom do I boon dock, when I do I have a EU 1000 for battery charging. My question both batteries need replacing if I replace only one and tape up the + cable on the other side everything should work fine other than reduced 12 Volt capacity ? correct ?
Older AS only used ! battery,I have had ! failure in 52 yrs. because battery went bad it was old
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you're using the same amount of electricity off one battery as you did off two, you'll be charging that battery twice as often.
Before anyone else chastises me for the over-simplification in my previous post, please note: while you'll be charging twice as often because your battery drains faster, you will be only running your generator about half as long each time, since it will take fewer amp-hours to bring the one battery up to full charge than for two.

It doesn't QUITE balance out. Because of the way charge controllers work, it's not a straight "twice as often for half as long." You'll still use more fuel than if you were charging two batteries half as often. But not a LOT more. And you can hide that increased consumption depending on WHEN you recharge.

Here's more practical advice…
If you can at least get a full 24 hours runtime on one battery, and can run your generator for recharging during the hottest part of the afternoon while it's powering your air conditioner anyway, then it doesn't matter if you have to recharge every day. But, if you get less than 24 hours of runtime on one battery before needing a recharge, then buy two.

If you get MORE than 24 hours on one battery, so much the better; recharging every day before the battery is drained completely extends your battery life.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Something else to consider, with 2 batteries hooked in parallel when one dies and can't take a full charge the other battery gets overcharged until it dies to or the bad battery is removed from the circuit since no matter how good your converter is with both batteries hooked together it sees the average voltage of both.

With that in mind if you don't need the capacity for boondocking your 1 battery should last longer then 2 as long as you don't run it dead due to the lower capacity.

Personally I just run 1 battery myself, I put the second positive wire into an old radiator hose and taped it to insulate it.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
It will work ok.

Like others posting upthread, I would hesitate to rely on tape alone. I would suggest covering the battery terminal with a large piece of split loom and then taping it.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
Thanks everyone, I do not like 2 batteries in parallel. If I needed two batteries I would look into installing a battery selector switch just like a boat...and yes I did protect the cable end.

Thanks again
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I do not like 2 batteries in parallel. If I needed two batteries I would look into installing a battery selector switch just like a boat...and yes I did protect the cable end.

Thanks again
You get more amp hours out of your batteries by paralleling them then by separating them. Just in case you were not aware...

The link is to a website written by David Smead for boaters. He is one of the people who literally wrote he book on 12 energy system design and care. His work was the foundation for all 3 step temp compensated charge controllers that we use today and is great reading.

The Preferred System

Bruce
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Sandy Hook Memorial Fund

Hello Robert. I an courious about the Sandy Hook fund that you display in your posts. My son lives in Sandy Hook CT, which is a section of Newtown CT, and I drive past the school almost every day. Memorials are still all over the place.
I was just inquiring to your involvment.
Happy Camping nm1oqrz (Joe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Also take into account....

If you determine after a Season of Camping/charging that you do need two batteries, you'll have to buy two new for best results.

Bob
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
If you do go to a single battery, consider a group 27 if it will fit the box.

Remove the parallel jumpers, don't use tape.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
If you do go to a single battery, consider a group 27 if it will fit the box.

Remove the parallel jumpers, don't use tape.
I use one GR27 and boondock quite a lot with no problems.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello Robert. I an courious about the Sandy Hook fund that you display in your posts. My son lives in Sandy Hook CT, which is a section of Newtown CT, and I drive past the school almost every day. Memorials are still all over the place.
I was just inquiring to your involvment.
Happy Camping nm1oqrz (Joe)
Several days after the tragedy I saw an interview with the woman's basketball coach explaining the Memorial Fund....

"UConn's Hall of Fame women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma and his wife, Kathy, have made an $80,000 lead gift to the fund."

I realized that what they had done was probably one of the best ways to Honor the memory of all those effected and made a donation.

Believing that some of us here might also like to help I started a thread and was very surprised at the response.

Thats the rational behind the signature link, it's visible with every post I make, maybe it will help....just hope it has in some small way.

Thank's for noticing.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote