Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Removal and replacement of outside radio antenna

Hi guys!
We need instructions on how to remove and replace our outside radio antenna on our 1996 Excella 1000.
Is there access from the interior of the trailer?
Is one antenna the same as others or is one better than others? We certainly don't want to make any additional holes.
Thanks so much
gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If it is the large ball base you will need access to the backside. heck even if it isn't you will need access to the backside.

The screw heads that are visible have normal nuts on the inside holding it in place. The only real option is to cut a hole in the inner skin and do what you need to, then patch over the hole. That is what all of the service manuals I have read from Airstream say to do. They also say the same thing to install.

If you are willing to take things apart you could remove the section of inner skin that is on the wall inside of the antenna. Do what is necessary, and reinstall it and all the other stuff that had to come out.

I have attached a picture of what the inside wall looks like with the inner panel off. In the lower right corner, to the left of the window, you can see the back of the antenna, it is the small round thing with no insulation around it.
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You might get lucky...

Depending on whether it was factory or dealer installed. I was looking at an AS the other day and the attenna base was acessible from the speaker hole otherwise it will be what Brett said.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks that information is very helpful. It seems that the only stations we can get are very high wattage ones. We are thinking the antenna is not even hooked up.
we'll let you know if this works.
thanks so much!!

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Weak Antenea Question

Hi all -

Saw this thread and thought I'd post my question. I am having a similar issue with the antenea on Silver Toy ( '92 34' Classic Limited). I do not have the antenea with the ball at the bottom.

Noticed the comment that access might be possible thru the speaker hole. Anyone tried this? Year and model please if yes.

Is the antenea cable prone to damage or failure on AS's??? It seems I don't have a connection between the radio end ( yes it is plugged in properly) and the antenea end. Is there a test I could do???

Living in the Mountains East of ALBQ there are radio issues anyway. Is it possible that my seemingly non-functioning antenea is due to this interference? IE - are the anteneas generally weak as far as reception goes?

Just looking for input before I go and do the Radio 'Full Monty'.

Thanks in advance!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote