Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Reconnecting our batteries

I would like to get an external total disconnect switch installed on our interstate batteries. I’m hesitating because we are now proficient at unhooking and reconnecting them when needed like for storage or longer periods of not using the trailer. I manage them at home when plugged into shorepower by checking for voltage and when at 12.7 or more I disconnect from shore power and let them sit. Then check on the voltage periodically and when it gets to 12.5 or so I plug back into shore power .( Lately that doesn’t take very long)
I’m told the external disconnect would make life easier managing the batteries.

But would we still be able to so easily unhook the batteries and reconnect them like we do now when we want to put them on the battery minder?
Or will it just complicate that process and better to just leave what we are doing alone ?

Thanks
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no difference at all between using a switch (or relay) to disconnect the batteries vs un-wiring them as you are now doing. Both processes do exactly the same thing.

If your batteries are anywhere near good shape, they should hold voltage for a couple months after disconnect. If they don't, they likely have issues. Get them checked and replace as needed.

Since it's cold out, the voltages on the battery actually should be a bit higher than normal and it should take longer for them to discharge. I have no idea when our where you last checked things so this may not apply to your situation.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Thanks Bob! I always look forward to your input!
I was most concerned about ease of actually removing the battery’s once an external disconnect is wired to them.
As it turns out I’ve decided to contact Randy at Best converters ( as you suggested to me last fall) and upgrade to a multi stage converter for better maintenance of the batteries when I’m plugged into shore power. I’ll probably skip the additional battery disconnect and just unwire them when or if I need to remove them from the trailer.
I just need to find someone to install the new converter. Im a total non DIY!
Thanks again for the input!!
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless the batteries are in bad shape, there is no real need to pull them out of the vehicle. If they are in bad shape - replace them . If they are flooded batteries, make sure they have a water level top off from time to time. Also with flooded batteries a different converter *might* help things. (it's a win / loose sort of situation). If you have AGM's the fancier charger really does not do a lot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
$10-15 per battery for a switch is mental comfort ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote