Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Recommended Multimeter

I've never used a multi-meter before. I've found that the best way to determine both presence and strength of current is to just grab a wire near an audiometer and measure how loud I yell "YOUCH".

JUST KIDDING. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Seriously, for work on Airstreams, which multimeter do our electrical gurus recommend?

Jay & Lisa
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The free ones Harbor Freight gives away work fine for me. I have gotten 3 this year.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
No brand recommendation, but get a digital meter instead of analog.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Being an Electrical Engineer.....
If I was broken down in a Harbor Freight parking lot, I would get a free on there.
Otherwise a Fluke or a Klein...nothing fancy just the basic functions. If I was at a Yard sale and came across an old Radio Shack meter, that would be ok too.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have at least a half dozen of the free Harbor Freight meters stached around. They work just fine until they stop and then throw it away and grab another one.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If all you are looking for is volts and ohms, and are really only caring about wheather ther is voltage or not, and whether there is continuity or not, then any old cheap volt-ohm meter will work.

If accuracy is important to you (ifor example, checking wire insulation to ground and trying to determine if you have a small leak or not, or checking voltage at a campground outlet), then something more professional is in order. I have a basic fluke that has always served me well. One of my favorite "features" of a more high-end meter is that they typically have a variety of probe ends, things like screw-in alligator clips and the like, that will help you to make measurements when you don't have three hands to do the work. A Fluke 101 will run you around $50, so it isn't a major investment to have a little peace of mind.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you are asking about the best all-around meter, get a True RMS Multimeter.

I use a Fluke 81438*, whch is compact and easy to use. I would only recommend a True RMS because you may be working with Inverters and other devices that don't always put out what you think they do.

*edit: this model is no longer available, but Fluke has several True RMS meters avaiiable. Search on-line.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
I am a big fan of only buying good quality tools. The cheap ones fail when you need him the most. So I have a fluke true RMS meter. Using a good tool is always a pleasure
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have quite a number of different ones bought over the years - none extremely expensive but also not the cheapest. I have in the past bought cheap ones and had problems with poorly designed range switches becoming faulty.

The most multimeter I bought about a year ago cost about $120 on Amazon.
It has all the usual scales including a continuity beeper that I also find handy, but is the first multimeter I have owned that incorporates a "clamp type" current meter that works not only on AC but also with DC currents.

Clamp meters that work on AC gave been around for many years, but ones that also work on DC are a fairly new innovation.

I find that having the DC clamp meter function is handy for things like trailer brake wiring - you can simply put the clamp around one of the wires feeding each brake magnet and very easily confirm & measure current flowing.

When I first got this meter I wondered how accurate the DC current measurement would be using the simple clamp as opposed to actually including an ammeter wired into the circuit. It seemed too easy to use the clamp meter that I thought their could be a downside - perhaps in accuracy.

To find out, I did a couple of tests with the clampmeter comparing its readings with simultaneous readings from a conventional ammeter, and in testing up to about 15amps DC, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the two meters matched with about 0.1 - 0.2 amps.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If you aren't an electrician and have need of a couple of hundred dollar multimeter, 90% of the time you're interested in voltage and continuity. I too have the HF freebie multimeters, about 6 laying around here, and they are quite good. They are digital, easy to read and if it breaks, who cares?

I bought a Radio Shack multimeter in the early 70s, it still works, but it's analog and my weak eyes find the digital easier to read. So RS is another option if you want a little better product.

In your email you jokingly state how you currently check voltage . I would say the HF version is just right for you. If you don't follow Harbor Freight, go to one and sign up to get the coupons, watch for the free multimeter coupon, go buy something else there and get the freebie. Keep doing that so you have free meters, flashlights and other goodies. If they had a bar in there I'd be there all day There is always some kind of tool or supplies that I can use.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
The free ones Harbor Freight gives away work fine for me. I have gotten 3 this year.
I agree I have several of the free Harbor Freight meters and they work great for the needs of your Airstream which are only 12v DC and 120V AC. If they are not free this month they are only about $5.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Get a Good mid level Fluke and dont look back
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Both analog and digital meters have their place. I "grew up" as an EE using a Simpson 260 analog VOM, so it is my go-to meter and needs a battery only to check resistance. I recently acquired an obsolete Fluke portable which I like and I have several of the HF units, one in the truck, one in the trailer, so I always have one around. I have had two Radio Shack units that also had counters and capacitor testers built in, but they both failed after a couple of years. If I'm at home I'll use the Simpson or the Fluke, but on the road I use the HF. The HF was good enough to diagnose low AC voltage at a KOA recently that was tripping my AC breaker.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nowadays the Simpson 260 can still be had, but it costs more than a digital meter.

Bulky, but a great meter for some things.

I have a couple HF and others for knock-around use, but the go-to is a Fluke.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Fluke
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
Can't imagine life without a clamp-on DC ammeter that reaches down to 10 milliamp resolution.
Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
FLUKE!!

I have 4 of them!

Remember: friends don't let friends use junk meters!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Recommended Multimeter

Yeah, but you drop a Fluke off the roof it's sad. Drop a free HF one, just unwrap another. Cheap crap has its uses....😀

Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yeah, but you drop a Fluke off the roof it's sad. Drop a free HF one, just unwrap another. Cheap crap has its uses....😀

That's why I tether mine to the roof 'if' I ever use it there. Also, don't ever depend on the AC volt readings from anything other than a true RMS meter......especially if your life depends on it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Recommended Multimeter

Admittedly, I haven't dropped expensive test equipment yet....

On of my buds dropped a $5,000 test computer I designed and built 10 feet out of an airplane on the ramp to the concrete pavement. He figured he was dead meat when I found out. Since I built it, and remember those days, it was based on a ruggedized laptop system.

It bounced, and when he picked it up, it was still running. Scuffed a little on one corner. Beast weighed 20+ pounds with extra battery pack. All solid state hard drive--$$$$.

Overkill through experience....I destroyed a shiny new Tektronix oscilloscope aboard ship that way once. Live and learn. Paperwork nightmare blizzard to explain that one.