Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Recommended 110V Wire Gauge

Ready to install 30A Marinco type power inlet and am not sure of which gauge of wire to use from the inlet to the breaker. Have planned on the yellow 12 ga Romex from breaker to AC, fridge, micro, water heater, outlets, etc. Is 12 OK or should it be 10 ga as the power cord is?
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Ready to install 30A Marinco type power inlet and am not sure of which gauge of wire to use from the inlet to the breaker. Have planned on the yellow 12 ga Romex from breaker to AC, fridge, micro, water heater, outlets, etc. Is 12 OK or should it be 10 ga as the power cord is?
When in doubt, using the larger sized wire, is always the best choice. It costs a few cwnt more, but if you consider what you would have to do, to replace it, then that few cents, becomes next to nothing.

If you really want to make sure, use 8 gauge. Hurts nothing.

Andy 11.1k
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I used 10 G from the outlet to the breaker box. I believe that 10 G is necessary for the 30A circuit. I used 12 G everywhere else in the Liner.

Bill

Quote:
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Thanks Bill,

Guess I'll head out to get some more wire, I already had the 12 gauge.

Michael
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Andy,

I agree.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
The smaller the wire size number, the smaller the voltage drop over a given length of wire ---- and this especially important when you are using 12v D.C. as in a trailer. I x R = Voltage Drop, so ---- the smaller the R, the better off you are.
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
For 110 VAC copper wiring:

10 gauge minimum for 30 amp.
12 gauge minimum for 20 amp.
14 gauge minimum for 15 amp.

Standard building code / rv code stuff.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Posters upthread are correct that 10 gauge is the minimum gauge, by code.

Depending on the distance from the breaker box to the outlet, you may need a larger size to avoid excessive voltage drop. The NEC says you're supposed to use large enough wire to keep the voltage drop to 1% at the actual current drawn by the load, which is pretty conservative. By their rules you're limited to a 20' run from the breaker box to the outlet at 10 gauge, around 30' at 8 gauge, and 50' at 6 gauge. (all based on 24 amps which is supposed to be the maximum design load for a 30 amp circuit). But in practice people don't use such large wire sizes, and you can maybe triple those distances before the voltage drop starts to get out of hand. In most campgrounds in the real world we see 10% voltage drop routinely when everyone is running their air conditioner.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
buy nice not twice

silverhoot--i did the same thing with the marinco outlet and went with the 30 amp compatible wire to my converter. then i used the same wire to run through the walls up to my 12 volt vent fan--just in case whoever inherits the trailer may want to put in ac a long time from now. bigger is better--just harder to work with. But it's nice knowing your wire's not going to fry. do it once. cheers ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Exactly right. 30 amp = 10 gauge wire, 20 amp = 12 gauge wire, 15 amp = 14 gauge wire by National Electric Code. To prevent insulation from melting off during overloads or short circuits, breakers must be sized per wire they protect. 30 amp breaker = 10 gauge wire, 20 amp breaker = 12 gauge wire, 15 amp breaker = 14 gauge wire. Insulation melting off the electrical condutor is the primary cause of electrical fires. That is the whole reason for properly sizing wire and breakers, to prevent fire!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by the544man View Post
silverhoot--i did the same thing with the marinco outlet and went with the 30 amp compatible wire to my converter. then i used the same wire to run through the walls up to my 12 volt vent fan--just in case whoever inherits the trailer may want to put in ac a long time from now. bigger is better--just harder to work with. But it's nice knowing your wire's not going to fry. do it once. cheers ted
And by the way.............

If you want to do a really PRO job.......... throw away the solid core Romex and use 105*C stranded marine cable. Much easier to work with and will not have a chance to work harden and potentially break from road vibrations!

I NEVER use solid copper in any RV electrical or solar installation or repair. When the wire gauge gets above 8AWG, I use Grade K welding cable. More expensive....YES.........but oh so supple and easy to route around corners and into junction boxes.................and rated to 225*F to boot!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

If you want to do a really PRO job.......... throw away the solid core Romex and use 105*C stranded marine cable. Much easier to work with and will not have a chance to work harden and potentially break from road vibrations!

I NEVER use solid copper in any RV electrical or solar installation or repair. When the wire gauge gets above 8AWG, I use Grade K welding cable. More expensive....YES.........but oh so supple and easy to route around corners and into junction boxes.................and rated to 225*F to boot!!!

This is some good information. You had me at supple......
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
This is some good information. You had me at supple......
Remember, this is a G-RATED site!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
GREAT info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Thanks Lewster, I used marine grade for all trailer to tow vehicle hookup, basically all my 12V wire will be marine grade stranded but already have the Romex so will probably use that for the 110v. What I removed was aluminum and it still worked.