Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Re-wiring new batteries

I am in the process of:
1). Replacing my stock batteries with new AGM 6V
2). Adding 400w of solar to the roof

I had the bright (?) idea of re-wiring the battery to trailer by replacing the 4 battery cables with just 2. I would remove the exiting 4 and 6 gauge cables with 1/0 cable. Sounds easy right?

I would like to remove the exiting cables from the storage compartment as I’m installing a battery disconnect switch in the storage compartment. However, pulling hard on the cables does not seem to budge them (yes, they are no longer connected to the battery). Between the woven wire loom and the turns, seems like there is too much resistance to pull the through. There are cable clips along the way, but they are riveted on and don’t look easy to remove and replace due to limited access. I guess I could cut and remove the wire loom, but hopefully there is an easier way!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Conroe , Texas
Bill:
I just finished doing this on my 2018 27' FB. I removed my 2 stock batteries from the standard battery compartment and replaced them with 3 lithiums under the bed. I had to pull the 4 and 6 gauge wires through the floor of the trailer as well. I cut the loom underneath the trailer near where it enters the floor and I was able to pull the wires from the batteries to that point and did not have to disturb the clamps where riveted to the frame of the trailer. The hole in the floor is sealed with Adseal and is very tough. I then had a buddy pull the wires from above while I pushed from underneath. It was still difficult but we managed to break the silicon seal and pull the wires into the trailer.

I also extended and pulled my trailer jack and Zamp solar wires through the loom into the trailer. I then resealed everything using Adseal and it worked out just fine.

Eric
Pencilpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
I had a similar experience as Pencilpusher with my 27FB. Finally pulled the battery wires through after carefully removing quite a bit of the balled up sealant that was used in the floor penetration. Resealed with Trempro.
eganwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencilpusher View Post
Bill:
I just finished doing this on my 2018 27' FB. I removed my 2 stock batteries from the standard battery compartment and replaced them with 3 lithiums under the bed. I had to pull the 4 and 6 gauge wires through the floor of the trailer as well. I cut the loom underneath the trailer near where it enters the floor and I was able to pull the wires from the batteries to that point and did not have to disturb the clamps where riveted to the frame of the trailer. The hole in the floor is sealed with Adseal and is very tough. I then had a buddy pull the wires from above while I pushed from underneath. It was still difficult but we managed to break the silicon seal and pull the wires into the trailer.

I also extended and pulled my trailer jack and Zamp solar wires through the loom into the trailer. I then resealed everything using Adseal and it worked out just fine.

Eric

Thanks Eric! I have removed most of the rubber junk in the hole and I can move the 6 gauge wire but the 4 gauge does not want to budge! I have been able to pull down the wire loom with those cables to below the trailer but still no luck!

I plan to run the Zamp connector and a batter temperature sensor through the loom when I finally succeed!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Just to be clear, I’m trying to pull the inverter positive into the trailer so I can shorten and reuse the wire.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On a "typical" trailer (as if anything is always the same with AS) the cables go through retainers after they are in the belly pan. Yes that seems really crazy. Depending on just how tight those are, moving the cable(s) or replacing them with something can be pretty much impossible.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Bob! I can follow my cables pretty easily. The battery box has two holes...one on either side of the box. There is a wire loom out of each hole leading under the trailer to a hole in the trailer floor....in my case under the bed in the storage compartment. The cables to the inverter go through the wire loom and twist and turn their way to this hole.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Hi Bob! I can follow my cables pretty easily. The battery box has two holes...one on either side of the box. There is a wire loom out of each hole leading under the trailer to a hole in the trailer floor....in my case under the bed in the storage compartment. The cables to the inverter go through the wire loom and twist and turn their way to this hole.
Hi

Yup and the part you can get at is pretty easy to deal with. The part once the cables go past "this hole" is the part you have no control over. Fiddling with the loom stuff and the external clamps (or going past them) ... no big deal.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote