Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
RE: 1968 Tradewind 12V wiring

Hello all,

I have run into a bit of a conundrum and am hoping someone can give me a bit of good advice.

Last year part of the 12V circuit that runs the lamps on the passenger side rear, near the side bed (mounted on the side of the passenger side, forward closet) and which also seem to run the 12V fan over the stove and an after-market lamp over the sink (both driver side) stopped working.

The Univolt seems fine, and the light on the mirror in the bathroom still works. The wiring for that light seems to come straight from the univolt via a pair of thick single strand aluminum wires that come up into the bathroom closet (passenger side.) There are two crimped marrets there, and from there two identical wires go back into the wall.

I am assuming those wires from the closet in the bathroom are the ones that come out inside the adjacent closet forward of that, which clearly power the lamp I mentioned above and which seem to then run across the top of the trailer ceiling over to the stove fan.

There is 12V power in the bathroom closet but no voltage in the adjacent closet forward.

Can someone confirm that my assumptions about the wiring path are correct? I don't want to wire a bypass with copper until I am sure I won't be causing an even worse problem. There is no continuity from the closet in the bathroom to the adjacent closet forward, (I think possibly both pos and neg wires have parted or melted and this is causing this.) Obviously I would have liked to see continuity on one wire or the other from point to point to verify my assumptions, and for this reason I am posting here before going forward, as I am feeling a bit nervous. (I have a background in electronics and some electrical experience but it's been a while since I worked in the field, and I am rusty! ) If someone who has stripped their trailer can recall the wiring paths they saw when they did that they could confirm for me in a minute if I am on the right track, hopefully!

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Matt

Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
grove city , Ohio
I found a owners manual on the forum and it had a wiring diagram in it . Go to the forum banner and click on trailers and then click on airstream knowledge base , There is a post with someone asking for a owners manual . The pdf file is free. I hope this helps

Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
I will try that, thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The 12V supply line runs from the battery to the "Central Control Panel". All the cables that supply lights run from there back to the various 12V lights, fans, etc. Check the connections and the breakers in the Control Panel.
Also check the ground bus (white wires) and make sure all are tight.
If you want to check the circuits and determine which breaker controls which 12V line, unhook the battery and use a continuity checker with a long jumper wire Between the black wire at the light and the black leg in the Control Panel box. If you have problems PM me and I'll give you my phone #.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Thanks for all your help! I found the 12v distribution above the fridge and will use my digital volt meter to trace the circuits leading to the light over the sink and the oven fan - should be pretty easy to fix. But now my original uninvolved has given up the ghost - need to find a new technology replacement.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Univolt not uninvolved lol. iPad.

Tags
12v, 1968