Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
Question on power jack

My 1972 Ambassador has an electric type powered jack to raise the trailer tongue. In the even that this breaks or goes out, can anyone tell me how I could manually lower and raise the tongue or will I have to replace the motor?

Thanks
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb You could

Alex
Quote:
In the even that this breaks or goes out, can anyone tell me how I could manually lower and raise the tongue or will I have to replace the motor?
Depending on the make of your power jack, I understand that, if you have to cranke it manually, the top cover piece can be removed to lower or raise it manually.
Parts are available for most makes/models.

good luck~

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
With most jacks, you can remove the motor (may require an allen wrench) and use a ratchet with a socket to turn the shaft at the out put of the motor. be aware that you will have to turn and turn and turn since you are working through a gearset.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Yes indead the owners manual talks about removing the motor from the jack by loosening the allen screw and inserting the crank handle in the tube to lower or raise the jack by hand. I don't have a crank to insert in the tube and wish I did.

Does anyone know a source for the crank handle?

Thanks
Brian
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Yes, an allen wrench is the usual tool to remove the motor head. Some of the power jacks provide access to the jackscrew through a port so the motor doesn't need removal.

Once you get access to the top of the jackscrew, you can use a 'Z' shaped handle designed to fit into the top and provide some leverage for turning the jackscrew.

Since most jackscrews have a slotted tube top (a tube with notches cut in each side), I find I can use a large pry bar to turn it or a big screwdriver sideways across the slot.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:58 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Alex,
Use caution if you remove the head from your power jack to manually crank. Most jacks have a resyncronization process that has to be performed prior to replacing the head. If you don't follow this procedure you will damage the head and gears. If you can verify the manufacturer of the jack you may be able to contact them (assuming they are still in business) for specific instructions and a manual crank.

I had a power jack on my SOB which had a pop open cap that allowed me to insert the crank without pulling off the power head and having to resyncronize. Wish my Airstream jacks had that feature.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

I had a power jack on my SOB which had a pop open cap that allowed me to insert the crank without pulling off the power head and having to resyncronize. Wish my Airstream jacks had that feature.

Jack
My 2003 International had a jack with the pop-off cap. I never had to use it. My Classic does not have that feature; I suspect that we have the same jack.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Power Jack

My power jack quit working also. We used a car jack to jack it up and down, then bought a manual jack. It was $30 as opposed to $200. Eventually want the power jack back. It was nice!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote