Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Protection from Electro Magnetic Radiation/EMF in an aluminum airstream

I know this is a fringe/new topic of discussion for many people. It is something I am concerned about because it causes health problems. Here is a link to EMR 101

https://slt.co/Education/Electromagn...ation-EMR.aspx

My thoughts that an airstream would be a protective faraday cage in a sense because it is aluminum and aluminum screen does block RF radiation (cell phone/ 5g radiation). So the airstream with aluminum screens on the windows would be pretty safe I would think.

Any other tinfoil hat people out there?

My concern is with the airstream dc battery systems is that those systems would create an emf around the battery bank. I see people putting them under their beds and couches. Do people shield them properly?

Very unsafe to be in such close proximity to the battery bank.

Thank you,
Aaron

SlocanValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There were studies a long time ago that said that IF there was any risk at all from EMF, it would be in developing entities, e.g. very young children. Only EMF from very strong sources was ever identified as a potential risk, fields from 345KV power lines, and up. If you are old enough to be hauling around an Airstream, you should worry more about second-hand smoke from campfires.

Larry

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Actually not a new topic. Plenty of "Faraday potential" threads here on the forums. Consensus has generally been that the abundance of glass (windows) eliminates the benefit (waves will enter through the many giant openings). I actually agree that waves have detrimental potential, and I have a feeling that cell phones and Bluetooth will be the "oh my God how did you not know cigarettes were killing you" of the future. But outside of living completely off the grid far, far from society, I'm not sure how to avoid it at this point. I try to minimize generating waves in my home (Ethernet vs. wifi, etc.), and while I do use Bluetooth, I won't stick it directly *inside* my head (headphones/earpiece).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off, a 12V DC system creates a magnetic field but virtually no electric field. If you look at something like an electric blanket, it creates a *massive* electric field compared to just about any other source.

Airstreams no longer have aluminum screens. The screen material is plastic. Those great big holes in the sides let in lots of RF energy. That's why your cell phone still works when you are in the trailer. Since the *likely* issues from radiation are all at microwave (rather than very low frequency) there isn't a lot of benefit.

Indeed, the "exposure" from a brief conversation on a cell phone is going to be way higher than anything you will get just sitting around. WiFi enabled tablets and PC's .... same thing. (You have thrown away your cell phone, tablet, and PC .... right?)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
An Airstream will not act as a complete faraday cage. It will reduce, but not be a true 100% faraday cage. Case in point, if you can use your cell in the Airstream, odd are, the non-alum areas will let EMR in too.

I am not a scientist, but I played one in a school play just as electricity became widely available.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
There were studies a long time ago that said that IF there was any risk at all from EMF, it would be in developing entities, e.g. very young children. Only EMF from very strong sources was ever identified as a potential risk, fields from 345KV power lines, and up. If you are old enough to be hauling around an Airstream, you should worry more about second-hand smoke from campfires.

Larry
cough, cough, cough and I got fireburned on my face from watching fire.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
I know this is a fringe/new topic of discussion for many people. It is something I am concerned about because it causes health problems. Here is a link to EMR 101

https://slt.co/Education/Electromagn...ation-EMR.aspx

My thoughts that an airstream would be a protective faraday cage in a sense because it is aluminum and aluminum screen does block RF radiation (cell phone/ 5g radiation). So the airstream with aluminum screens on the windows would be pretty safe I would think.

Any other tinfoil hat people out there?

My concern is with the airstream dc battery systems is that those systems would create an emf around the battery bank. I see people putting them under their beds and couches. Do people shield them properly?

Very unsafe to be in such close proximity to the battery bank.

Thank you,
Aaron
How could you create an effective shield between the battery box at the front of the trailer and your front bedroom?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
But if you use aluminum screens in the windows and an aluminum belly pan it would be totally enclosed or close to it. Aluminum screen works as well. Put one on my powerful wifi router at work that I can't take out.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Shielding a battery bank is something I don't know about yet. You would be shielding it from EMF-electromagnetic fields and possibly Electric fields. There is stuff out there to do that kind of thing.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Actually not a new topic. Plenty of "Faraday potential" threads here on the forums. Consensus has generally been that the abundance of glass (windows) eliminates the benefit (waves will enter through the many giant openings). I actually agree that waves have detrimental potential, and I have a feeling that cell phones and Bluetooth will be the "oh my God how did you not know cigarettes were killing you" of the future. But outside of living completely off the grid far, far from society, I'm not sure how to avoid it at this point. I try to minimize generating waves in my home (Ethernet vs. wifi, etc.), and while I do use Bluetooth, I won't stick it directly *inside* my head (headphones/earpiece).
Totally agree with you. As a high school teacher I am bombarded with multiple wifi signals all day. A great challenge in this day and age. Smoking dangers are going to pale in comparison to electrosmog pollution. The Airstream might be an oasis in the electrohaze.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you replace the plastic screens with aluminum, you still have the (many) windows that do not have screens at all. Since the screen "attachment" is designed for highly flexible (and thin) plastic, getting it to work with aluminum is questionable. You also have the issue that most metal screens are coated and that coating would need to be removed ( = it's an insulator).

Probably best to order one up custom with no windows or electric and go from there. Don't have any lighting or other devices installed and there is nothing to worry about. Just put in water and propane. Best guess is this is a quarter to a half million dollar sort of project.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia

More likely to die from some idoit with road rage or a gun

Married With Airstream Blog Click Here
Blog Languages: English/French/Spanish
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
The facts are available to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
Do people shield them properly?...Very unsafe to be in such close proximity to the battery bank. Aaron
Recommend reading IEEE C95.1-2019 - IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Electric, Magnetic, and Electromagnetic Fields, 0 Hz to 300 GHz. This consensus standard was just updated based upon the latest scientific and medical evidence, not tin foil hat lore. Calculate your exposure, and engineer a solution - if needed.

You are likely at more of a health risk from your propane appliance's carbon monoxide and other pollutant emissions.

Otherwise, recommend removing all AC and DC trailer wiring, eliminate your wireless tow vehicle key, abandon you cell phone and other wireless communications devices, camp only in remote areas, and use only a flashlight, candle, etc. However, recommend keeping the NHTSA required trailer lighting and braking circuits.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Curious to why?

If catastrophic event were happen, an AS no matter how well shielded is not going to matter.
WBCCI 9164
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284022111820203/
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
One important thing to point out is that all things considered, if you are worried or feel the need for EMR/EMP (outside of a few electronic devices), think about it this way. If things really hit the fan, shielding yourself from EMR/EMP is going to be the least of your worries. Just sayin.....
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Curious to why?

If catastrophic event were happen, an AS no matter how well shielded is not going to matter.
If the (event) does happen I hope Im in my AS so I grab my favorite bottle of scotch
, run outside ,build a fire ,sit in my favorite lounge chair and wait for the end!!!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Then my only fear is running out of Scotch
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I think the folks who worry about the radiation from cell phones and the like are really sadly misled. The "man" wants you to worry about EMF so that you won't think about the real danger from all those chem trails in the sky. At one time I worried about both, but then they moved the approach route to SFO so that it's closer to my house--I think they were watching my on line posts--and now I get a much bigger chem trail dose and I don't worry as much. About anything. Which is helpful in these stressful times.... (I should have capitalized a lot more of this post, shouldn't I?)
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
I would have to disagree with you. As this technology is just over a decade old and the regulatory standards were strongly influenced by the emerging cellular companies, basing their findings on antiquated figures, and very little public knowledge on the science findings that actually come out.

I don't want to this to debate the dangers of EMF here, but I the main reason I asked is not about the stuff hitting the fan and I would survive in my AS.
It was more about the AS being able to block all or most of those RF frequencies by the nature of the construction, so I have a space that is relatively quiet when it comes to this kind of this thing.

An EMF free zone, for good sleeps!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Batteries are a very small source of EMF energy (low voltage and DC). Radio frequencies and high voltage alternating current sources are where you are going to get most of your EMF from. Cell phones are probably your most intense EMF because they can sometime put out several watts of energy and they are stuck right on the side of your head. If you don't believe me, hold a cell phone cupped in your hands and watch the signal drop. Microwave ovens are another source of EMF. Living under high tension power lines is another one. Your power inverter is a much higher source of EMF than the 12V batteries that supply power to it. If you want a good faraday cage you would have to use aluminum screen and the trailer shell would need to be grounded. Otherwise you are living in a big antenna.

Perry

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote