Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Propane Powered EU2000i

Received my propane conversion kit for my Honda EU2000i Generator last week. This past Saturday, I did the conversion, which took about 2 hours.

This conversion is not for the faint of heart. You take the covers off and remove the gas tank and all associated fuel lines to the carburator. You then remove the carb, remove the fuel bowl, then remove the high speed jet. Then, you (gulp!) drill out the passage where the high speed jet was, to 15/64. After that is complete you clean the shavings out, and screw in the new propane jet, remount the carb, and do the rest of the propane plumbing, which includes the carb vapor regulator. Then put it back together and hook up the tank for testing. Mine fired right up after a few pulls.

Why did I do this conversion, you may ask? After using generator extensively through 2 hurricanes last year, I found refueling late at night in darkness, holding a flashlight in my teeth in 40 MPH ++ winds to be a real pain. Gasoline on hot mufflers is not good I can now get over 4 gasoline tanks worth of running out of one 20 Lb bottle, or better yet, we are going to get a 100 lb cylinder for this year. In a pinch, we can pay the big $$ and get an exchange cylinder almost anywhere around here.

For camping, I feel it is easier and safer to haul a propane cylinder, or just use one on the Airstream, versus hauling a plastic 5 gallon jug of gasoline around.

Another good selling point on the propane fuel is no old gas sitting in the carb and fuel tank during the months the generator is not in use. Generator can be stored inside with no fuel fume or leakage worries, if disconnected from tank.

Cost of the kit was around $99 plus shipping and tank hose and regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000A.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	11481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000CARB.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	11482  

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Pick, thanks for the excellent report! I've always wondered about that conversion. I'd like to do it on my eu1000i but last time I looked they did not offer that conversion option. It just makes sense -- carting around gasoline in a jug is not appealing and we already have 60# of propane on board...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
More info Please

Pick
Could you give some part numbers, and maybe a source.
Sounds like something I would like to do to our 2000.
I have not been able to find a factory kit.

TKS
Old 04-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
_

. , .
impressive operation and the patient survived!

wow that's a neat conversion. too bad it's not possible to switch back n forth as fuel dictates.

have you any idea on the emisions after the coversion. i realize lp gas is generally cleaner to start but wonder about incomplete combustion by products. i also wonder about the efficiency with the propane since it appears there were no changes to the compression, timing and so on.

i see that mayberry's has lp models available but when i'm ready for this conversion....can i just send my unit to you?

again, great job and report.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I had a 4000 Honda in 1980 that I converted to LP and it ran for about 12 hours on the large LP tank. The main selling point for me was that it never needed to be cleaned after a certain number of hours and of course would run much longer without the need to go for more gasoline. Used it for several years without any problems. Can't really remember any specifics about the converstion except the Honda dealer took care of it. It was sold with the trailer, but I see no reason it may not still be going strong with good care.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Kits Available Here:

Everything you need is at:Propane Generators.com

Honda seems to run better on propane, and does not lug down as much when a heavy load is first applied.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Thumbs up What about a new Yamaha w/ adapter installed already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Everything you need is at:Propane Generators.com

Honda seems to run better on propane, and does not lug down as much when a heavy load is first applied.
Thanks for the site, I spent a little time looking it over and since we have yet to buy our generator (deciding size needed/weight issues) I saw a link to the Yamaha generators that come already converted/adapted. http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/
The 1000 comes only as a propane/natural gas conversion but the 2800, 3000, and 3000 w/ boost all comes with a tri-fuel adapter. This appeals to me since I wouldn't have to buy a generator, then the kit, then finally pay someone to convert it.
We originally were looking at buying a Honda 2000, the kit and then sometime down the road if we felt we needed it another honda, another kit and the parallel kit. That's already up around $2200 without the install cost of the two conversion kits. So I started thinking may be the Yamaha 3000 w/ or w/o boost may be a better way to go at $1970 and $1770 respectively. Shipping is $98 east of the Mississippi. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
M&M- Did you make a decision on a propane powered generator yet? I'd like to hear what you have done.

You're in my backyard... I've modified an EU3000 to run dual fuel propane and gasoline- see my site at www.mswartz.com for the details- and it has worked well for several years now.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #9

I just decided on the yamaha ef3000ieb-d version. It's good to switch from NG, lpg or gas when you need to. I got the boost one for the extra 500W. Decided to get some bells and whistles and got the lpg kit, time meter and wireless remote all installed for me. Sweet!!

I was going to get 2 of the eu2000 hondas but I want to run lpg and didn't really want to do the conversion myself, especially on 2 generators. Plus you can't do the wireless remote with the hondas.

Overall, I have to wait 4-6 weeks. They are on backorder. I see why. Good thing I am only going camping about 2 or 3 times before it gets hot for Air Cond. needs in July and August.

Y.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Ordered the Yamaha 3000 w/boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz
M&M- Did you make a decision on a propane powered generator yet? I'd like to hear what you have done.
Thanks for the Replies. We have decided to order the Yamaha 3000 w/ boost in the natural gas/propane version. We felt it would be easier for us with the propane since we didn't want to carry gasoline. We also have to wait for it since they are out of stock. We are camping over Memorial Day with only water available and we were hoping for the gen. Oh well guess we can keep are fingers crossed that they get them in sooner.

Marshall thanks for the link and info on your gen conversion. I'm glad we ordered the 3000 w/boost, hopefully it will help when we're running the microwave and the a.c. kicks on. It looks like you're pretty handy, good to know there's someone close if we have questions/trouble.
M
TAC #MA-4
Old 05-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you should be fine w/o a generator for the rally. I can usually get a weekend out of my single battery w/o much problem; you probably have 2 in your unit, yes? you'll have the water hookup, so you won't be running the pump...all you need the electricity for is a few lights at night. ok, so no micro or a/c, but you probably won't need the a/c in that location. even so...and this is the great thing about being w/ a group...you won't be "stuck". you can always bring a battery over to my trailer and hook it up to my yooni-volt, should your lights start to dim. or we can swap batteries for the evening to get a charge on yours....whatever.

I've also "borrowed" juice from my truck, so I could watch a little tv on the last night of a dry-camping weekend. I've found that my ac/dc tv is just a tad sensitive to low voltage...just needs a little extra help sometimes. I might not try this if I was alone in the wilderness, for fear of a dead truck battery the next day. but like I said...with a group...no problem.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Post Good points!

I don't plan on doing much boondocking, and as far as I'm concerned if you have AIR CONDITIONING you ain't roughin' it! None the less, I've followed this topic with interest. All of your points are valid, and if you're getting a robust generator for both home and RV use, your setup makes excellent sense!

For those of us who want a simple off the shelf solution with a small unit like an EU-1000 or 2000, why not use a syphon to the tow vehicle's gas tank? It's a safe way to carry gasoline and deliver it to the generator (of course I'm talking about the kind with the built in squeeze pump - no nasty gas mouth for me, please! ). I can haul up to 38 gallons of generator fuel safely if I figure on doing it that way.

Tin Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Why did I do this conversion, you may ask? After using generator extensively through 2 hurricanes last year, I found refueling late at night in darkness, holding a flashlight in my teeth in 40 MPH ++ winds to be a real pain. Gasoline on hot mufflers is not good I can now get over 4 gasoline tanks worth of running out of one 20 Lb bottle, or better yet, we are going to get a 100 lb cylinder for this year. In a pinch, we can pay the big $$ and get an exchange cylinder almost anywhere around here.

For camping, I feel it is easier and safer to haul a propane cylinder, or just use one on the Airstream, versus hauling a plastic 5 gallon jug of gasoline around.

Another good selling point on the propane fuel is no old gas sitting in the carb and fuel tank during the months the generator is not in use. Generator can be stored inside with no fuel fume or leakage worries, if disconnected from tank.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Four-legger comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I don't plan on doing much boondocking, and as far as I'm concerned if you have AIR CONDITIONING you ain't roughin' it!
Tin Lizzie,
We came up the ranks as tenters and would camp as far away from trailers as we could with their generators roaring, t.v.s glowing, etc. I think it's made us much more aware of our surroundings and others. We do need a generator and one large enough to run our a.c. because we travel with a special four-legger and on those occasions in which he isn't invited along we need to know that he will be comfortable and cool back in the 'Gray Lady'. We will exercise good neighbor policy (quiet hours 10 p.m. - 8 a.m.).

Chuck,
Thanks for the offer, we look forward to meeting you at the rally. I'm not really concerned about running out of juice, we've dry camped this past October for a weekend and barely moved the battery level (we have 2 batteries). We were just hoping to have our fellow Streamers around when we hooked the generator up and tried it out in case we have any issues/????. See you in a few weeks.

Mark and Mary
TAC #MA-4
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
wondering.....

Hi all'

I'm a popup camper looking for a 60ish 22-26 foot airstream. I tend toward boondocking rather than hook up camping so self-containment is going to be an issue for me. Having said that, I like the idea of a propane generator.

How long does one of those run off a 25 pound tank? I also wonder if the 2000 uses twice as much propane as the 1000? If it does whould it make sense to get the parallel set up and only use the second one when needed?

All of which has me wondering if you are running a waterheater, fridge, and stove off of propane; how long should you expect to go between refills?

Rodney
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
I'm guessing 28 hours per 20 LB tank, based on the fact that the EU2000i can run in eco throttle mode for up to 9 hours on a gallon of gas. I have not needed to run mine for more than an hour or two since the conversion.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
no foolin

Thats quite a while considering I would mainly be using it to recharge. thanks

Rodney
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Yamaha 2400is generator with Propane/Nat Gas Conversion

Well it's been a long time coming but finally our yamaha generator is on its way. In between the time we originally ordered the yamaha 3000 w/ boost and the time they started to work on it (was backordered for several weeks) the 2400 came out. We read several reviews and decided that the weight issue (only 70 lbs.) and the positive reviews from Hayes Equipment were enough to convince us to switch.

Being a new generator US Carb had to make a new conversion kit for it which delayed the order longer. The good news is that the generator will arrive tomorrow via UPS and should give us some time to play with it before we head off again for another rally. We'll let you know how it handles the 13,500 Dometic AC. Here is the website to US Carb and the 2400is http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2400is.htm
TAC #MA-4
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #18

Port Charlotte , Florida
Were you ever able to try this generator with your A/C?

I'm curious how it worked -
Pres in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Thumbs up Yamaha 2400 w/ propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres in FL
Were you ever able to try this generator with your A/C?

I'm curious how it worked -
It seems to work fine with the a.c. and a limited number of lights and t.v. We need to switch off the a.c. if we are running the microwave. Also, something we do even when we are running on 30 amp is to run the hot water heater and fridge on propane when we are using the a.c. otherwise it will trip the breaker in the coach. We brought it to the Region I Rally in Quebec and gave a quick demo using a orbital polisher. People were impressed with how quiet it was and that the fumes were minimal.

The nice thing with the propane is that we can leave the genset chained in the bed of the truck and run it with the back hatch of the cap open protecting it from the weather and theft, it also minimizes noise for surrounding campers. All in all we are very pleased with the set up and are glad that we only have to carry one source of fuel to run our generator, grill, and fire pit. If it were warmer out I'd go out and take a few pics but you can easily see what it looks like by going to the uscarb site mentioned earlier in this thread.
TAC #MA-4
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Did you get the Bi-fuel or Tri-fuel version, if you didn't get the Tri-fuel can you explain why as I see they are priced the same and it gives you more fuel options. Thanks