Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Progressive Industries warranty void if using a Yamaha EF2000iS

Found this today: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.
For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."

I wonder how this might apply to other 2000 watt generators that boast using the Yamaha engine?
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Lots of good info clicking on their news tab.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Found this today: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

"... For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."

I wonder how this might apply to other 2000 watt generators that boast using the Yamaha engine?
Why would it be necessary to use an EMS with a generator? Are they to protect against line power surges and faulty campground electricity?
Old 03-10-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Why would it be necessary to use an EMS with a generator? Are they to protect against line power surges and faulty campground electricity?

Excellent point for the portable EMS units, I have the hardwired EMS.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there a bypass switch?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power.

I wonder if this happens to any other inverter generators?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
The same for any inveter of any wattage of any brand , like Honda.
Couple things: if you are using a quality generator/inveter like Honda or Yamaha there is no need for your power protection like Progessive ( note I own their product and two Honda 2000i but not used together. I tried that and the PMS freaked out). I contacted progressive
and they said don’t do that , just like their documentation stated. PMS explained to me one, no need for their unit using a Yamaha and Honda their power is very clean. Second they said the Yamaha and Honda inverters use a ‘floating ground’ which the PMs
Logically assumes you have a power issue. Just repeating what they told me and my experiences.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The quality of AC output from an inverter generator is as good as you can get. Lewster advised me to always use a neutral-ground jumper plug directly plug into a socket on the genny. All RVs are wired with a floating neutral because the source at the pole is already connected and if the RV was then plugged in with reverse polarity you would have a mess on your hands. It might even be lethal.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Missing info - " start up current " is meaningless !
Whats starting - what , and how much current are they talking about - with this statement ?
I agree that using there device with a generator should not be inline with the generator .
If you are using a grid-tie inverter , then having the EMS plugged into the gird / shore-power to an inverter that has a transfer-switch , that is designed for generator backup .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
My Progressive EMS manual from fall of 2016 said don't use with any inverter generator.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Make a Plug for the floating ground

Lots of good Youtube video instructions on making you own plug to stop any floating ground issues. I made two of them for my two Honda 2000! I just tried them with my Surge Guard and the Micro Air installed on the AC. I had no issues running the AC with only 1 Honda, I had no fault codes or circuit issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
The same for any inveter of any wattage of any brand , like Honda.
Couple things: if you are using a quality generator/inveter like Honda or Yamaha there is no need for your power protection like Progessive ( note I own their product and two Honda 2000i but not used together. I tried that and the PMS freaked out). I contacted progressive
and they said don’t do that , just like their documentation stated. PMS explained to me one, no need for their unit using a Yamaha and Honda their power is very clean. Second they said the Yamaha and Honda inverters use a ‘floating ground’ which the PMs
Logically assumes you have a power issue. Just repeating what they told me and my experiences.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progr...-p/18-7691.htm
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Greetings. I’m confused on this one. The manual for my Progressive ems hw30-c makes no mention of generator usage in the warranty. I have it hardwired in to protect the entire trailer electrical system. I’m still working on this forever project but was definitely planning on using a Honda 2200 for boondocking. One would think the ems should be one of the most robust pieces in the loop and if it didn’t like the input voltage, it just would not let it in. I did call Randy at Best Convertor today and he said that there are no issues with using my ems with a generator.
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Greetings. I’m confused on this one. The manual for my Progressive ems hw30-c makes no mention of generator usage in the warranty. I have it hardwired in to protect the entire trailer electrical system. I’m still working on this forever project but was definitely planning on using a Honda 2200 for boondocking. One would think the ems should be one of the most robust pieces in the loop and if it didn’t like the input voltage, it just would not let it in. I did call Randy at Best Convertor today and he said that there are no issues with using my ems with a generator.
Steve read this article, I think it will clear things up for you.

http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/

I made one of these plugs for my Champion 3500 generator just so I could see how many amps my trailer was using with my Progressive EMS-50PTX. With a hardwired EMS I believe you will need a neutral-ground bonding plug so your generator and EMS will play nice with each other.

Micro-Air sells these plugs if you don't want to make your own.

https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Thanks Dave.
You’re right. I also read that same article and was under the impression that I would need that plug. But I had thought that without the plug, the ems would not connect since it thought the incoming voltage was ungrounded. What would that have to do with the ems life/warranty?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Absolutely nothing. Their answer makes NO sense electrically.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks Dave.
You’re right. I also read that same article and was under the impression that I would need that plug. But I had thought that without the plug, the ems would not connect since it thought the incoming voltage was ungrounded. What would that have to do with the ems life/warranty?
I think there are two different issues here. First is the need for a neutral-ground bond plug if you are using a generator with a floating ground (generally inverter generators are not bonded, construction grade generators are bonded) and a EMS/surge protector together. Without the bonding plug the EMS will not allow power through it.

The second issue is what is the reason for Progressive's statement:

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."

I making an assumption here that "enough start up current" refers to starting an AC unit with a under powered generator which overloads the generator causing it to output "non-true Sine Wave power." Next assumption, "non-true Sine Wave power" will or has damaged Progressives EMS units.

As to why Yamahas EF2000iS has been singled out when many smaller generators are not capable of starting RV air conditioners (the reason for hard start capacitors) can only be guessed at.

Dave S
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Dave, Interesting observation. So perhaps if the a/c was never powered by the generator, then this would not be an issue?
Steve
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Dave, Interesting observation. So perhaps if the a/c was never powered by the generator, then this would not be an issue?
Steve
Correct, but it is really about not trying to get more watts or amps out of a generator than it can produce which would be overloading it. For example, Yamaha's EF 2000iS is rated for 2000 surge watts (start up watts the generator can put out for a short burst to start a motor) or 16 amps. Its rated watts (maximum continuous output) is 1600 watts or 13 amps. These numbers are at sea level, as altitude increases the output decreases significantly!

A 13.5K BTU air conditioner needs about 13 amps to run, more to start up, so the Yamaha EF 2000iS is maxed out.

Bottom line is know what your generator can put out at the altitude you are at and know the watt or amp requirements of the equipment you want to run. If you don't overload the generator your EMS you will not have any problems.

Dave S
Old 03-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
From Progressive's statement:

"Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Absolutely nothing. Their answer makes NO sense electrically.
Now I get your statement Rich. What campground supplies "True Sine Wave power" at the post? Answer, NONE.

SteveD I still would be careful about overloading your generator it may in some way cause problems for your Progressive EMS.

Dave S