Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Progressive Dynamics EMS-HW50C

Hi,

Just came home with our brand new Flying Cloud 27FB! One thing I intended to do this weekend was install the Progressive Dynamics surge protection. I watched a few YouTube videos but none of them were installing it on an Airstream. I talked to the tech today where I bought the AS and he seemed to indicate that it might be tough to find a place to install this device. The only place he could think of was behind the converter. He said there was not much space back there but it may fit??

Has anyone installed one of these on an their AS? I need to know if it is doable or I should just return this one and get an external device.

What a great forum. Thanks for all you have taught me already!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida

FWIW-

I just put the 30 amp model in our "Pete", our 27fb twin. We only have one AC, so a 30 amp coach. I think what I did on ours would work fine in your 50 amp coach as well.

I mounted ours upside down under the bottom closet shelf in the hallway wardrobe, utilizing the access granted by the mechanical doors under the wr doors. I simply removed the main inbound power cable coming from the exterior input connector, attaching it the output lugs on the PD, and ran a new 10 gauge power cable from the PD input lugs to that exterior connector. Does that make sense?

If you read the info from PD, they don't want the unit mounted on the floor...., but are ok with upside down or vertical. It worked out ok, and I could easily add the remote monitor readout panel later. Oh, and the unit works very well, and the slight buzz isn't noticed behind the closed doors.

Hope this gives you some ideas and that it helps!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are really only two candidate locations for the beast:

1) By the shore. power connector

2) Behind the 120V power board

The reason is pretty simple. There is a cable that goes between those two points. Getting at the cable while "in flight" is not easy. You either put the beast on one end or the other.

So first question - can you get at the back side of your shore power connector? In some cases that's easy in other cases ... no way at all. If you can get at that end, I'd bet it's the better location.

Second question - is there any room at all near / behind the power panel? I would include nearby areas (under / behind the stove maybe ...) in that search.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
FWIW-

I just put the 30 amp model in our "Pete", our 27fb twin. We only have one AC, so a 30 amp coach. I think what I did on ours would work fine in your 50 amp coach as well.

I mounted ours upside down under the bottom closet shelf in the hallway wardrobe, utilizing the access granted by the mechanical doors under the wr doors. I simply removed the main inbound power cable coming from the exterior input connector, attaching it the output lugs on the PD, and ran a new 10 gauge power cable from the PD input lugs to that exterior connector. Does that make sense?

If you read the info from PD, they don't want the unit mounted on the floor...., but are ok with upside down or vertical. It worked out ok, and I could easily add the remote monitor readout panel later. Oh, and the unit works very well, and the slight buzz isn't noticed behind the closed doors.

That's all I did. Mounted it upside down. Under the wardrobe on my 26u was where shore power entered. That made it very easy. I considered mounting it behind the power panel, but twisting and stuffing the wiring in would have been problematic. Admittedly I didn't see anything about not mounting on the deck, I only inverted it to avoid water if there happened to be a pump failure or water leak, as the pump shares the same space. Also as stated, this allowed easy mounting of the remote monitor. I simply ran it to the port aft locker door, right next to the shore power plug. This allows me to monitor things as soon as I hook up. Added benefit was I can read it from inside by lifting the "queen" bed.
DannyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyClark View Post
That's all I did. Mounted it upside down. Under the wardrobe on my 26u was where shore power entered. That made it very easy. I considered mounting it behind the power panel, but twisting and stuffing the wiring in would have been problematic. Admittedly I didn't see anything about not mounting on the deck, I only inverted it to avoid water if there happened to be a pump failure or water leak, as the pump shares the same space. Also as stated, this allowed easy mounting of the remote monitor. I simply ran it to the port aft locker door, right next to the shore power plug. This allows me to monitor things as soon as I hook up. Added benefit was I can read it from inside by lifting the "queen" bed.
Okay, I'll check out the wardrobe area that you guys are talking about. I'm not real clear on where you are putting the monitor?? Are you talking about the locker that is in the rear of the AS that you can get to from the exterior or from lifting the queen bed? If so, how did you run the wire back there?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
FWIW-

Thank you. I'll check that out. Where did you mount the remote?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
On my 26U there's the closet. Under the closer is the equipment space where the hot water tank and water pump are located. The queen bed is perpendicular to the direction of travel and against the closer. Under the head of the bed, which is on the drivers side, is the storage area you can access from outside, or from under the bed. The extirior door to that storage area is very close to where I mounted the surge protector. I just ran the monitor to it and used command strips to mount it. It's right next to the shore power plug. Makes it easy to see what's going on when I plug in. Hope that helps.
DannyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
All-

I decided to snap a few pics of our EMS 30 Amp install as described above. Hopefully these make sense, and help describe how I mounted the unit under the closet shelf in our 27fb. Sorry, but these pics are the correct rotation on my I-phone, so dunno what the deal is.

By the way, I cheaped out and didn't buy the $100 remote. We had a 50 amp installed in our motorhome, and our experience was either the EMS works and allows power to the coach, or it doesn't. I reckon I might add it later.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS left.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	295937

Name:	EMS right.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	295938

Name:	EMS mount.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	295939

Name:	Inbound Pwr.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	295940
Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Those pictures help a lot. I just have a few more questions so I don't break things!

Are you removing the cable from the shore power port on the outside of the AS? See attached picture.

If so, I'm not sure how you take this port apart so that you can remove the wires from the plug? Can you give me some help with this?

Also, I'm told to use marine wire since it is more flexible and handles vibration better. Where will I be able to find 6 gauge (I have 50amp service) 3-conductor, jacketed wire? In other words, I'd like to get the same cable that is currently in the unit?

Appreciate everyone's help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	296088  
Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Can you not just cut the wire inside the trailer under the wardrobe and put one side to the input and the other side to the output of the surge suppressor? You shouldn’t need to run new wire at all I wouldn’t think?
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
Can you not just cut the wire inside the trailer under the wardrobe and put one side to the input and the other side to the output of the surge suppressor? You shouldn’t need to run new wire at all I wouldn’t think?
Yes, I can. I was hoping to reduce the risk by just adding a cable, but that does not look feasible at this point in time.

It looks like AS glues that white safety cover on to the shore port, so getting to those wires is nearly impossible.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 AM   #12
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida

Bill-

My 30 amp exterior power plug is obviously different than your 50, and the safety cover came off to allow me to replace the wire. Yours must come off somehow because you may have to replace that plug someday.

The primary reason I did as I describe was to allow more cable slack on in/out to EMS, and no splices (almost would have splice a tail on one end or the other for length if you just cut).

Spend a little more time pondering that plug, call mfg if need be, it'll make for an easier install if you can add cable from that plug to input of EMS in my opinion. Also, try a sure-nuff electrical supply house or maybe marine store for that cable.

Hope this helps.