Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Buzz / Hum - Fire Hazard?

I came across this thread, which is a couple of months old, and hope to tag on a couple of questions.

The fan motors in my recently installed 4655 make a high-pitched electrical noise. The fans move back and forth, but they don't fully rotate, and then will eventually start rotating for a short period of time. The fans stop and then the buzzing/humming starts again. I would guess the fans are stalling because not enough power is being applied, so they buzz but donít turn.

This is while the camper is receiving a consistent 120 volts.

1. Should I be concerned about this being a fire hazard? Iím debating cancelling a camping trip next weekend until I can get a replacement unit installed.

2. Does anyone have an idea of what dates the bad batch was manufactured? I ordered the unit Jan í17. The retailer shipped a new old stock (Sep 2015 manf.) unit to me.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I'm going to guess bad fans. The fans I had in The fridge did the same thing and it was the fans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
I came across this thread, which is a couple of months old, and hope to tag on a couple of questions.

The fan motors in my recently installed 4655 make a high-pitched electrical noise. The fans move back and forth, but they don't fully rotate, and then will eventually start rotating for a short period of time. The fans stop and then the buzzing/humming starts again. I would guess the fans are stalling because not enough power is being applied, so they buzz but donít turn.

This is while the camper is receiving a consistent 120 volts.

1. Should I be concerned about this being a fire hazard? Iím debating cancelling a camping trip next weekend until I can get a replacement unit installed.

2. Does anyone have an idea of what dates the bad batch was manufactured? I ordered the unit Jan í17. The retailer shipped a new old stock (Sep 2015 manf.) unit to me.
Give PD a call. They seem to have goid customer service. I installed my PD unit in the fall of '15 and it is dead quiet.

Mike
Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Just an update to my previous comment. I called customer service at PD this morning and asked service rep regarding blinking green LED without shore power and they told me that was normal. The part that still puzzles me is that same indicator light is used to determine charge rates when connected to shore power. Again she said it was normal.
Has your unit continued to operate well? Wondering if you experienced any of the fan issues being reported now. We are still thinking of making the upgrade this year.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #33
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yes, call Progressive Dynamics and chat with them about the noise. They have a good customer service department there.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
The retailer is sending me another unit. Hopefully it will be a "new" one this time. I'll try to install it over the next week and see how it fairs. Any problems with the new one and I'll definitely call PD.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #35
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
I also have a noisy PD4655 converter, as described above. They said some of them are a little noisy, though fully functional, and offered to replace mine if I like. Haven't gotten around to asking for a replacement yet.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I do wear hearing aids but our PD4655 is dead quiet and Cheryl agrees. It is mounted in the living area, not the quiet bedroom. They're easy to swap out, I'd hit them up for a new one.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Our PD4655 is mounted halfway between the bedroom and living area. We've been on the road about 4 weeks and last week I noticed the noise coming from that area. I flipped some of the circuit breakers and the noise stopped, flipped them on again and it started again.

It sounds like the fan(s). It's not there all the time, just comes and goes. It seems to be there more at night when I have all the lights on. Everything else is normal and the batteries are staying charged. It has to be pretty quiet for me to hear them. If the fridge cooling fan starts I can't hear the squeaky fan noise from the PD4655.

I'm not going to worry about it, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything and is possibly just a nuisance noise, there are so many, like the cardinal attacking my port side window this morning.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #38
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Fingers crossed we don't have an issue with the one going in today. Pat
Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
I made it out to the camper today and installed the new (Aug '16 manufactured) PD4655. After installing it, I let it charge the batteries for an hour and it didn't make any noise. The unit I am returning started making noise within the first 30 minutes that it was installed. Fingers crossed that I got a good one this time.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
100th post!

I finally swapped the fans after chatting with Progressive Dynamics on the phone. The sounds in my trailer were intermittent. The diagnostic procedure was to observe the fans on a warm day with no 12V load than lots of 12V load by turning on the lights, fantastic fans, stereo, etc.

The fans went from not moving and quite to not moving with the rattling hard drive noise, to spinning and silent. The original fans rattle when the fan controller on the circuit board is approaching the threshold voltage to turn on the fans! Interesting...

The upgraded fan is installed on the left and the old fan is on the right. You'll need two of them. If you were to buy these fans, I'd go with the ball bearing fan instead of the sleeve bearing fan Sunon KD1208PTB1 13.GN (swap 'S' for 'B' in the part number). A guy on eBay has them for $7.00 free shipping. Not looking a gift fan in the bearing, I installed the free replacements from PD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201705-ProgressiveDynamicsFans.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	285576  
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
This is the same noise my recently installed PD4655 unit makes. We just got home from our first trip and thankfully it never made the noise in the middle of the night. We were told to look for any wires that might be touching the fans. I'm going to do that today.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
This is the same noise my recently installed PD4655 unit makes. We just got home from our first trip and thankfully it never made the noise in the middle of the night. We were told to look for any wires that might be touching the fans. I'm going to do that today.
Try it with a heavy 12v load. You can put a jumper on the umbilical cord to make the running lights come on. Ours makes a very slight whine when it's under load, otherwise, nice and quiet. I've converted the interior lights to LED, maybe that will be something to do this summer, covert the outside lights too.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote