Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Problem with factory AGM batteries

Anyone else having problems with their AGM batts not holding a charge?
Ours have been that way since new delivery several years ago but dealer never has replacements in stock. Now the Lifelines will not even hold over night. They have been on an external agm charger when not in actual use … charger is powered on for 15 minutes per day via a timer.

The dealer wants another $450+ to replace. Should I look at Full Force AGMs?
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Lifelines are the best AGMs out there. They were probably trashed / discharged to zero / 10.5 volts sitting on the dealer lot before your trailer was ever delivered to you - and the damage was done. It’s a know issue that parasitic draw will kill a buttery in 2 weeks if you don’t physically disconnect from the trailer. Common while they sit on dealer lots.

Discharging below 50% / 12.1 volts will terminate any lead acid battery by causing sulfation on the plates. Couple that we a crummy stock airstream charger (if you haven’t upgraded your converter) and it’s a bad recipe for lifespan / longevity.

Get some new lifelines, change your stock charger / converter to a progressive dynamics or boondocker and you’ll be good to go. You should get 3-5 years out of lifelines.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Lifelines are the best AGMs out there... You should get 3-5 years out of lifelines.
That is what many folks say, but not born out by my experience. That is why I am asking for proven alternatives … I have few (zero) Lifeline dealers in my area. Local Airstream dealer doesn't stock and parts folks don't seem to even know what they are!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have had no issues with the Lifeline AGM's and I have abused them. The bottom line is that any alternative you find will be *worse* than the Lifelines. If you got 6 months out of them, you will get 3 months out of the others ( on average ).

For about 2X the price quoted for the AGM replacement, you can get the same number of usable amp hours in Lithium. With a built in BMS ( battery management system ) they are a bit more bulletproof than a lead acid battery. You might / might not replace your charger / converter when you do the switch to Lithium. That would add another $200 or so. Of course you might do that when you replace the AGM's as well.

If the issue *is* parasitic draw, then you will have issues with whatever you go with.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I second what Wulfraat said. Your original batteries were probably trashed by the dealer (it's very common; happened to me with Interstate batts).

You won't find any better AGMS than Lifeline's; I've used them for more than fifteen years in three different rigs, and if you treat them right they will hold up very well.

Treating them right means making sure your charger/converter follows Lifeline's specs for absorption and float voltage, etc. If it doesn't, replace it with one that does (e.g., Progressive Dynamics).

You don't need a local dealer. I buy from Powerstride; their prices are competitive and they ship anywhere in the US at no extra charge. (There are other online battery sellers with similar deals, but I'm familiar with PowerStride from long experience.)

Lithium (LiFePO4) has advantages, but the cost is much higher than AGMs, and correct charging is critical (and quite different from AGMs).

Hope this helps.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Jeffersonville , Kentucky
"Ours have been that way since new delivery several years ago but dealer never has replacements in stock"

If you had them document this, then they should replace them for you.

But they would probably deny now. I personally would not give them any business if they did that to me. You can buy anywhere you want.
Possible bestconverter.com ?
Dremel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
That is what many folks say, but not born out by my experience. That is why I am asking for proven alternatives … I have few (zero) Lifeline dealers in my area. Local Airstream dealer doesn't stock and parts folks don't seem to even know what they are!

I ordered mine online and they were shipped to my doorstep. Got the best price on the market by spending 5 minutes on google and installed them myself - takes about 15 minutes end to end to disconnect wires, pull the old ones, drop in the new ones and Re-connect the wires. Easy peasy.

After 3 years they were still holding 12.6 volts strong.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

"Dealer" can mean a couple of things. If dealer is the outfit that sold you the RV then sure, they don't have batteries in stock. For battery warranty stuff, one normally goes to a battery dealer. If you find one of those who has no stock on a specific battery, that is unusual but not impossible. The standard process in that case is to give you credit against what *is* in stock.

Bob
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
GTL48

2018 33' Classic
Greeneville , Tennessee
AGM Batteries

Try Centexbatteries.com, Marc Kurth 903-603-6007. I replaced the factory batteries with Lifeline AGM's on our new Classic 33 and received a credit from the dealer as part of the sale. They kept and probably resold the lead acids. Centex is one of the largest Lifeline suppliers and there price was the best I could find. Received within a few days. You may also try calling Lifeline directly. I had a problem with one of 4 Lifeline AGM's on our boat several years ago and they replaced it with no fuss.
GTL48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Battery ideas

Quote:
Ours have been that way since new delivery several years ago but dealer never has replacements in stock. Now the Lifelines will not even hold over night. They have been on an external agm charger when not in actual use … charger is powered on for 15 minutes per day via a timer.

If my battery box was outside like yours I would use flooded cell batteries, much cheaper than AGM and more forgiving, but they need maintenance.

This is a very good deal on your Lifeline AGM, however (Group 24?)
https://batteryguys.com/products/lif...nt=32270600516

I use Batteries+ Duracell AGM made by Deka. Batteries+ is everywhere and have a good warranty....but doesn't cover excess discharge. (No one does)
You get $20 off per battery if you order online and pick up in store.
They may not be good as Lifelines but mine are still working after toasting two sets of Lifelines.
They saved me $400 for my set of four, so I thought it was worth the risk.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...4m/sli24magmdc
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Lifeline batteries have worked great for us
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:

These have a three warranty from the date of your trailer purchase. Three years and one hour late... good luck.

The Las Vegas Interstate Battery warehouse did not have any AGM batteries in stock. AGM's are in demand for Boats, so where there is water and boats... AGM batteries will be found. The retail dealers keep few on hand so they do not become dated for their own protection... I suppose.

The Las Vegas Interstate told be at the time the Lake Havasu, Arizona boat dealer had 15 or so on order... (April 2018). So, contact your local Interstate Battery Company office. They can get an up to date location of where AGM's may be found.

The battery will say AGM Marine... so it makes sense that few are to be found in the Deserts of Nevada.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
mamaroneck , New York
Which progressive charger/converter do you recommend ?
jackanddiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Look for a drain. I'm too embarassed to tell you what caused me to think my AGMs were bad (brake safety interlink) groan.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Look for a drain. I'm too embarassed to tell you what caused me to think my AGMs were bad (brake safety interlink) groan.
Hi

Somebody trips over the cable and you loose the batteries and start wondering about the brake solenoids being damaged ... yes indeed it *does* happen.

Bob
Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:

Airstream electrics are their "Achillies heel" - Even with the disconnect switch there is a considerable parasitic draw. Few people have access to electricity when the unit is stored ( we have nice covered storage but it does not offer power) so for short term storage physically disconnect a battery terminal, and for longer term storage we pull the batteries and take them home and put them on a trickle charger, and I have a cardboard template with shoelaces to replace the batteries in the box to make figuring out which cable go where, I tie the cables to the 4 corners of the template...

Leaving them on a solar trickle charger might be an option, but we opted to pull the batteries instead.

It is a pain, but without a source of power for storage no way round the situation, regardless the variety of batteries used.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the feedback … transaction with the dealer is pending...
I will keep you informed.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
JackandDiane: Go to Bestconverter.com. You want the PD4655V for 30 amp service. If 50 amp service, talk to Randy.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanddiane View Post
Which progressive charger/converter do you recommend ?
Hi

Unless you want to do a bunch of re-wiring, you go with the same current rating as the one that came with the trailer. 55A vs 60A is not a big deal. Going significantly larger will have you re-wiring a bunch of stuff. Whoever you decide to buy from should be able to point you at the one you want.

Bob