Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Question 1965 safari

Help!

I am pulling apart the inside of my 1965 safari... It appears that I have unconnected electical wires throughout the camper. All of the visable outlets work, none of the switches or front map lights seem to work.

Is there a reference book or resource that can guide a novice through this madness?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
You won't find a true electrical schematic in any of the literature published for your 65. Some user manuals have floor plan diagrams showing outlet and light locations with one-line diagrams showing the circuits. They are some help, but nothing like a real schematic.

I use a toner/probe to chase wire when I don't know were pairs go. These are kind of expensive, $80 or so. Another method I use is a 9 volt battery and an 6 to 14 volt automotive test light. Put the battery on the pair at the circuit breaker and go to the non functioning termination points and probe each one until the light comes on.

Be sure to disconnect from shore power(110volts) and disconnect you 12-volt battery to avoid suprises and false signals. Electricity can kill.

-BobbyWright
(the Forums Resident Safety Nut)

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Smile thanks

Thanks for the information... I will have to give it a try. I pulled down a couple more walls and uncovered more unconnected wires. It is a shame we don't have electrical plans for these campers.

Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Electrical opportunities

Hey Murph, I would suggest that you view the lack of electrical as an opportunity. Now you can do the wiring your way. You now may decide that your trailer can be wired as a newer trailer as there are diagrams easily available. In most trailers there are very few 120volt ac connections. If the battery is gone/not charged or the converter is not powered by ac, nothing will work. I'm gonna guess that there are only a few 120volt ac devices/outlets and the converter. All the other connections will be 12volts dc. Even connected to ac power the fuses could be bad, poor connections, or converter not connected.
Hey, ain't this fun?? I love a good mystery....... Now you will come to know the electrical very well.......
Old 06-13-2002, 05:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Thank You

Is the glass half full or half empty...

I am certainly learning a bunch and I have been really enjoying the other aspects of the reconditioning effort. The electric, with its univolt (which I posted another question on) has been a challenge. I have attempted to connect all the unconnected wires and reset the breaker. The breaker hummed and the working lights flickered and the nothing.

Half full or half empty... undecided. Again, thanks for the encouragement. I can certainly use it.

Tags
1965, 1965 safari