Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Problem running both roof AC units

In the past I have been able to run both roof AC units on my Land Yacht motorhome when I was running the generator. On the recent trip I was able to only run one unit when the generator was running and that was the unit that was selected by the switch for use when on "shore" power. The monitor station showed that the generator was running. The generator is operating just fine.

Does any one know what might be the problem?
BW_LandYacht36MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not a expert on this subject, but have you verified the amps/volts coming out of the generator?

Additionally, is the generator large enough to power both units or were you just running them? It could be that they were running, but due to low voltages/amps, you could have damaged the compressor(s) to the point that they now require more juice to start up.

Just a few thoughts....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
2nd AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW_LandYacht36MH
Does any one know what might be the problem?
On the earlier MoHo's with twin ceiling AC's the genny output was split with 2 AC circuits - one for the "main" selector switch and the other dedicated to the rear AC only....

I would first check the output at the generator of the secondary leg and proceed from there - no voltage at the output of the generator it is a generator related problem (there should be a circuit breaker mounted on the generator for both the main and secondary circuit). If you have voltage at the circuit breaker of the secondary circuit at the generator, trace out the output from the secondary generator circuit to the AC - there should be an "isolator switch" that allows the rear AC to operate independant of the "main" switch.
You should be able to follow the circuit with the electrical diagram suppllied in your owners manual.

On the "Classics" the "isolator" switch is mounted on the cabin side of he generator housing.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info about the two circuits out of the generator, my problem was that something had tripped the circuit breaker for the rear AC unit. Problem solved.

Thanks for the info.
BW_LandYacht36MH is offline   Reply With Quote