NCR , Ontario
you CANT plug a GFI or a device like a surge surpressor into a GFI outlet

they don't play well together

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Northport , Washington
Thanks for sharing. We just picked up our AS from the dealership in Spokane. They had our unit for two weeks and could not fix it, claiming they couldn’t get an answer from AS head office directly.

The first time we brought it to a dealership in Canada (shortly after we bought it) and they switched out the 15amp breaker in the trailer, this did not solve the problem.

Soooo we are at a loss. We are planning to bring it back to where we bought it and hope they will fix it. The dealership is 8 hours away but we have to get it fixed. We said we were going to leave it there until it was working properly, even over the winter since we lived so far away. Their response... you can’t leave it here as our RV units can get damaged over the winter. Who says that! They sell million dollars units. I’m wondering if I should get an independent electrician involved.

Peachell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

No expert opinion here, above my pay grade but this guy Mike Sokol might be someone to contact for the independent viewpoint. Mike has published multiple RV safety reports, videos and website. This is a link to GFCI info for RV's.

http://noshockzone.org/rv-electrical...art-viii-gfci/

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #24
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachell View Post
Thanks for sharing. We just picked up our AS from the dealership in Spokane. They had our unit for two weeks and could not fix it, claiming they couldnít get an answer from AS head office directly.

The first time we brought it to a dealership in Canada (shortly after we bought it) and they switched out the 15amp breaker in the trailer, this did not solve the problem.

Soooo we are at a loss. We are planning to bring it back to where we bought it and hope they will fix it. The dealership is 8 hours away but we have to get it fixed. We said we were going to leave it there until it was working properly, even over the winter since we lived so far away. Their response... you canít leave it here as our RV units can get damaged over the winter. Who says that! They sell million dollars units. Iím wondering if I should get an independent electrician involved.
Hi Peachell,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlhutdp View Post
2019 23' Flying Cloud FB

When I try to connect to one of my home's exterior 20A GFI outlets, The GFI protecting the home circuit ALWAYS trips. I've tried different 30A to 20A adapters, different extension cords, different home GFI circuits, but always trip the home GFI. None of the breakers in the trailer trip. When I connect to a non GFI protected circuit (like a campground 30A post), there is no indication of a problem. If I connect anything else to any of the home's GFI circuits, there is no indication of a problem.

If I turn off the circuit breaker in the trailer that is for the Inverter circuit, I can then plug the trailer into any of the home's GFI circuits without tripping the home's GFI and everything else in the trailer appears normal.

The Inverter seems to function OK when I'm not plugged into shore power.

I haven't been able to find anything in the AS manuals that gives a clue about what the problem could be.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Hi stahlhutdp,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. If you still need assistance, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
From the WFCO 5110R 1000 watt inverter Operator's Manual, page 3 under General Information: (emphasis mine)
" A convenient 120 VAC power cord is attached to the WF-5110R for pass-through use. Simply plug the power cord into any standard (non-GFCI) 120 VAC receptacle."
I don't think the problem with tripping the shore power GFCI is because Airstream wired anything incorrectly. I think the problem is that Airstream supplied an inverter that is incompatible with a GFCI protected power source.

My work-around has been to trip the 120 VAC breaker to the inverter before plugging into shore power, and only reset it when I need 120 VAC while boondocking. Come to think of it, other than testing to see if it works, I have never used the inverter. Given the sorry state of the stock wet cell batteries, I consider the inverter all but useless anyway.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
you CANT plug a GFI or a device like a surge surpressor into a GFI outlet
Yes, you can. People have been plugging GFCI equipped hair dryers into GFCI protected outlets in their bathrooms for years.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
You can, but for some reason GFI power sources and Airstreams don't get along well.

I have no faults in my trailer, and have addressed the bonded inverter issue, but still GFI outlets don't like my trailer.... and from what I've read here a lot of people have the same issues.

I can't say why, it's just how it is.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote