Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

Consider a lift table to save your back. The heavy duty one can lift higher than the light duty one. Measure the height of your vehicle before you buy one.
Would you give more details on the item you are referring to? Is this a device that you could load heavy items up and onto a pickup bed?

Thanks
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It’s a hydraulic lift table available at Harbor Freight. I don’t have other details available other than they have two versions. The one with higher weight capacity also can lift that weight higher.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Maitland , Florida
Predator generator from Harbor Freight

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to buy the Predator 3500 because it was on sale, and because I would prefer a single generator than having to worry about connecting two 2000 watt generators to run the air conditioner in my AS. (I am aware of the Easy start which might allow me to run an air conditioner on one 2000 watt generator). I purchased the Predator 3500 for $700 on sale at HF and with a further discount coupon, compared to over $2,000 for a similar Honda (which also won't fit under my truck bed topper). I did buy an extended warranty for a year.

I also considered the HF pneumatic lift tables. The smaller model lifts 500 lbs up to 28", and the larger model lifts 1,000 lbs up to 34 1/2". My Denali tailgate is 36 1/2" off the ground, so the larger unit would probably suffice. The real problem is that you need to lift the generator about 1 foot off the ground just to get it up on the table of the larger lift unit. I happen to already have a crane/winch which fits into my trailer towing receiver, and can lift and swivel over the bed of the truck. I'm a deer hunter and have used this crane to lift deer into the bed of my truck, or to let them hang so I can field dress them. I should be able to lift the generator into the truck bed that way. Once in, its stays there until the end of the trip. If that doesn't work, I may reconsider the lift table.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments.
Gneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneff View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I decided to buy the Predator 3500 <<snip>>
If your experience is like mine has been, you will be happy with your purchase.

It is very important with this generator, or any generator for that matter, that the carburetor is drained of fuel any time the generator is not going to be used for an extended time. The fuel passages within the carburetor are extremely small, so easily clogged if fuel evaporates leaving a residue. Pay special attention to this. The instructions in the manual cover this in more detail.

Please report back your experience, good or bad.
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Add SeaFoam if you use gas to stabilize fuel

Since generators don’t get used every day it’s a good practice to add 1 oz. of SeaFoam per gallon of gasoline to stabilize it for up to 2 years: https://seafoamsales.com/early-seaso...-tune-up-tips/

As others have stated, its best to run the fuel out of the carb but sometimes not practical or you forget. I found SeaFoam to be better than StaBil or other fuel additives.

Enjoy your new genset!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Fowlerville , Michigan
Rec Fuel

Does anyone else run recreational fuel (93 Octane ZERO ethanol) in their generator? Any noticeable difference, doesn’t matter what brand generator...
plndrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
87 octane unleaded with no ethanol is 1st choice.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by plndrm View Post
Does anyone else run recreational fuel (93 Octane ZERO ethanol) in their generator? Any noticeable difference, doesn’t matter what brand generator...
Gasoline with ethanol has never been a good choice, especially for small engines. The energy of the fuel is less and the ethanol allows water in solution which can affect soft hoses, seals and other components more common in small engines than cars. Yeah, it costs more, I suppose because of lower production.
I used to see the affect on my truck, a 10% boost in fuel mileage with no ethanol. Of course it was not cost effective, but with a 26 gallon tank, it gave me a little more reach.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Maitland , Florida
I've started the break-in period on the Predator generator, and have a question that I can't find a direct answer to in the Harbor Freight manual - Do I need to add fuel stabilizer if I'm running 89 octane ethanol-free gasoline? I can easily get ethanol free gasoline a a Wawa station near me.
Gneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda , Florida
HF 2000W Generators

Just some observations on my personal needs and use and selection of two HF 2000W generators.

Living here in SW FL wife and I have to consider that maybe we might have to run away from some nasty weather. (Emma passed directly overhead) I too also have a bad back and required a weight limit on lifting into the truck bed then moving it around in the bed for use and/ travel. As most of our trips are to sites with hook ups the generators would not be used on a regular basis so did not want to carry around that weight on a regular basis and loading and unloading of a heavy unit could be hazardous to my well being.

Our truck is equipped with a tri-fold tonneau cover so I am able to stand up and position stuff in the bed. The HF 2000W units will fit under the closed cover even with a parallel kit installed.

I have had the units since Sept of 2018 and with a little care and following the oil change schedule they have been reliable. (Note: When I purchased the two units I only covered one with the extended warranty.)

Here is some tech stuff you might already know about:

Units are 47 lbs. empty of fuel
Fuel tank is 1.26 gals
Run time at 50% load is 6.5 hours
Each unit is rated at 2000W surge and 1600W run (2X in parallel)

In summary would I do this again? Absolutely. In my opinion the units can be configured as needed, have been reliable and remarkably quiet and are easy to maintain, especially in the changing of the oil department.

Cons: The units so not have any gauges or display for run hours or output for amps/volts. Would be nice to have, but at this price point I can work around this.

Wish you well in your search and that you get the best compromise that fits your needs the best.
Jobjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
87 octane unleaded with no ethanol is 1st choice.
Around here, Ethanol free gas is 89 octane because it doesn't contain octane robbing ethanol!
Wa-Wa has an ethanol free pump, but it's expensive. ($3.06?)
Before a trip, I dump any left over gas from by can into the truck, then refill with ethanol free.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Around here, Ethanol free gas is 89 octane because it doesn't contain octane robbing ethanol!
Wa-Wa has an ethanol free pump, but it's expensive. ($3.06?)
Before a trip, I dump any left over gas from by can into the truck, then refill with ethanol free.
Octane (resistance to engine knock) is increased by adding ethanol.
What is lost by adding ethanol is BTUs (combustion energy).

https://mnbiofuels.org/media-mba/blo...-for-beginners

from ^^^^
"In terms of its octane rating, ethanol has a rating of 113. As mentioned above, fuels with a higher octane rating reduce engine knocking and perform better. Also, almost all gasoline in the US contains 10 percent ethanol. When you mix 10 percent 113 octane ethanol with 85 octane gasoline it increases the octane two points to the normal 87 octane most consumers use. So the higher the ethanol content, the higher the octane. The octane rating for E15 (15% ethanol) is 88 octane and E85 (85% ethanol) is 108 octane."
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneff View Post
<<snip>> Do I need to add fuel stabilizer <<snip>>
Stabilizer is needed only if the fuel will be stored for a long period.
But it will not hurt anything if you add it.

ps:
covered on page 8 in my HF Predator manual, under "Checking and Filling Fuel".
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Fowlerville , Michigan
Ninety Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Octane (resistance to engine knock) is increased by adding ethanol.
What is lost by adding ethanol is BTUs (combustion energy)
Very true, and let’s not forget ethanol burns cooler as well, lowers EGT’s. Doesn’t make much difference in a 200cc single cylinder generator but it does in my 90’s Turbo’d Japanese car. E85 all the way in that thing.
I wasn’t implying ethanol was bad when I asked about recreational fuel. Here in Michigan the only place I can find recreational fuel is Sunoco and it’s 94 octane.
plndrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
jobjar I added a run time meter to my generator. They are small and easy to install. Believe I paid about $10.00 on Amazon

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
4 problems with Ethanol blended gasoline, summarized highlights from this article are below:

Article on Ethanol Fuels

1) It is corrosive to certain materials in fuel systems, including some rubber compounds and the zinc and aluminum alloys used in carburetors.

2) Dries out rubber fuel system components. This leads to cracking and brittle fuel lines, floats, seals and diaphragms.

3) Hygroscopic – it attracts water. Forming a chemical mix that causes corrosion.

4) A solvent in older engines, dissolving varnish and other deposits which are carried to carburetor or injection system where they can plug small orifices.

In 2001, under pressure from the farm lobby, seeking a ready market for corn – used in the manufacture of ethanol – the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved gasoline with 15 per cent ethanol content, but prohibited its use in small engines and other power equipment due to the potential damage.

At that time, the U.S. Department of Energy reported that gasoline containing the allowed 15 per cent ethanol caused corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, harder starting, and reduced engine life in small engines.
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Which is why I bought a dual fuel inverter generator and plan to run it ONLY on Propane...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:26 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda , Florida
Thank you for the information. Just saw a You Tube about installing one. Looks like I will be putting another item in the jobjar.
Jobjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Wen generator

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-20...52871130&psc=1

I have a pair of these with the parallel connection kit.
They work well. The only oddity is they seem to start promptly when I remove the fuel cap. After they start I put the fuel cap back on & they run fine. Only other downside is they don’t have a fuel shutoff so you can run the carb dry when done and ready for storage. However I keep stabilized no-ethanol gas in them.

I believe they’re Yamaha powered. They are very quiet, relatively speaking.

$430 ea on Amazon. For a pair with a parallel kit, you can get by for less than $1K
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Converted both of our Honda 2000 generators to propane only

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote