Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Thanks Andy,
I had to read your comments several times and almost felt like I was back in Chemistry class. You are thorough in your description and I believe I understand what you are saying. Since my Univolt is long gone and the current Magnatek does not have the capability to work the indicator, I will just plug in my electrical tester which will let me know that AC current is moving through the circuity breaker box to the wall plugs. If I plug in, I will know it anyway but it would have been nice to have it working.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A converter with a new name has been used in Airstream trailers since the end of Feb. 1988. The name is Magnetek, and replaces the Triad/Utrad. The basic design is the same.
All functions and testing remain the same, "EXCEPT", for the power on light circuit. In the past the power on light work on a difference of potential.
With the Magnetek, the power on circuit provides 12 volt DC current to one side of the bulb and the other side is ground. This 12 volt power is picked up from the 18 gauge wire from the converter.
When a Magnetek is used to replace a Triad/Utrad the wiring must be changed at the power on light in the central control panel.
THE PURPLE WIRE TO THE POWER ON BULB "WILL NOT" HAVE TO BE CHANGED. BUT, THE BLACK WIRE WILL HAVE TO BE CUT AND SPLICED INTO ONE OF THE WHITE GROUND WIRES.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:55 PM   #23
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Patience

Ahh,
Patience has finally paid off. I have been hoping that Andy would have some experience in this issue and it is apparent that he has.

Thanks for the assist and clearing the record Andy.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
power-on indicator with intellipower

hi- using the info from everybody in past threads, I re-wired the power-on light so it works with the new intellipower converter. I'll just try to briefly describe the process that worked in my '72 OL. I plugged in a little radio shack-type converter meant for a radio scanner into the same outlet I have the IP converter plugged into (which I have on a separate breaker from all the other wall outlets in the trailer). I cut off the end plug of that converter, and attached one lead to the gray wire coming from the bundle, meant for the power-on light. the other lead I ran to ground (screwed it into the C-channel). Up in the control panel, I did more or less as Andy suggested by leaving the gray wire attached to the bulb socket as-is, but taking the white wire off of the battery-check switch and going to a white ground with it. Now the light comes on when the 110 circuit for the IP is fired up, goes off when it is on battery-only. Couldn't figure out how to do it using only the IP. Hope this helps some of you other obsessive-with-detail types;-) have fun- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote