Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Power Jack Breaker Size

I am planning to install a power tongue jack. I believe I must tap the Blue wire for power and then ground directly to the frame. Does someone know what size circuit breaker is needed in the power line?

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Power Jack

I just installed a Barker power jack on our Safari and it had a in-line fuse on the wire.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The bolts holding the jack to the frame will provide your ground. Mine is wired like this. From the fuse (30amp) block to the jack hot wire. However my fuse block is hard to get to and I would go with an inline fuse near the jack for ease of changing (it's on the list). This wire still need to terminate on the fused side of the block in case it shorts to the frame between the block and the jack. Use a larger fuse in the block so the jack fuse goes first.

Very important that you follow the calibration instructions. When hooking and unhooking I have the trailer plugged into the truck and the truck running so I don't use the battery. These things draw alot of amps and the small gauge wire they come with doesn't help. If you don't have a wire going to the block now use at least #12 marine grade straned wire. At least means #12 or heavier (lower numbers are heavier 10 8 ). For an extra dollar you'll have a top notch setup.

Your instructions will tell you what size fuse to use.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Consider a 30 amp thermal resetting breaker - it may be shared between the power jack and the breakaway switch for the brakes (on mine it is).

Good advice on wire guage, too.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Many thanks to all for the advice.

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote