Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
More Questions...

As I'm elbow deep in pex fittings today, trying to sort thru the amalgamation of 3/8" and 1/4" copper, 1/2" IPT and clamped hose. It occurs to me that with the currently plumbed arrangement that I will NOT have hot water while boondocking I understand that one pump can't pump both hot and cold - so what's everyone else do while boondocking? Just live without hot water, or has anyone tried hooking up TWO pumps, one for hot and one for cold?

Next question - are TWO faucets at each sink necessary, and if so why? The "regular" faucet is of course for city water, and the smaller one for self contained. In the current plumbing layout my "regular" faucet line has a tee fitting that feeds the smaller faucet. If the water pump is pushing the water in the same pipe, is there really a need for the second faucet? Does it have to do with the volume, or can I forgo the smaller faucet?

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
I thought I had it all figured out, but now I'm confused. I have a '64 Overlander, and my owners manual says " As you drive, the battery in your trailer is under constant charge by your car's generator." ....as I re-read the what I just typed above, I figured it out. I'll go ahead and post it anyways in case I'm missing something else. While driving my battery is charged by the TV correct? ...BUT the '64 univolt does not charge the battery when hooked up to shore power correct?
Oh Great Pumpkin:

When I wrote "There was no battery charger in 1964" I meant there was no internal battery charger in the 1964 one-year-only version of the Univolt that operated when you are plugged into shore power. I was looking at that one item only, the 1964 Univolt, and not at the entire electrical system for a 1964 Overlander. So you correctly understood what I meant even after you read the manual.

Whether your trailer battery is being charged while you drive down the highway in 2006 depends on how your tow vehicle, your tow vehicle to trailer electrical plug connection, and your trailer are currently wired. Something in any one of them may have been changed in the past 42 years. So although intended to work in 1964, that charging-while-driving feature may or may not work in 2006, depending on the actual wiring. It would be a good feature to have working, but that's a different issue for another day.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
GreatPumpkin, you should have both hot and cold water while boondocking. The water pump prushes water to the cold water taps and also the hot water taps by way of the water heater. It is the same as being on city water except that the pump provides the pressure.
My trailer has 2 water knobs at each fixture. They are the same size, one for hot and one for cold. The toilet is only plumbed for cold water.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
It occurs to me that with the currently plumbed arrangement that I will NOT have hot water while boondocking I understand that one pump can't pump both hot and cold - so what's everyone else do while boondocking? Just live without hot water, or has anyone tried hooking up TWO pumps, one for hot and one for cold?
GP: The 12 volt water pump should be "downstream" of your water heater. When turned on, and when a hot water faucet is opened, the water pump should push cold water into the bottom of the water heater. That cold water should displaced and push hot water out of the top of the water heater and through the hot water faucet, giving you hot water while boondocking. It should work the same principle as your home water system, where city water pressure forces cold water into the bottom of your home water heater and hot water out the top, through the pipes and into your sinks and tubs when you open a hot water faucet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pumpkin
Next question - are TWO faucets at each sink necessary, and if so why? The "regular" faucet is of course for city water, and the smaller one for self contained. In the current plumbing layout my "regular" faucet line has a tee fitting that feeds the smaller faucet. If the water pump is pushing the water in the same pipe, is there really a need for the second faucet? Does it have to do with the volume, or can I forgo the smaller faucet?
Look at the serial number plate on the exterior of your trailer near the door. Does is state "Land Yacht" or "International Land Yacht"? What is your trailer serial number?

If your trailer is an International model, it may have a second faucet that has (or had) an inline water filter which filters the water coming from your water storage tank for drinking. That feature is useful when boondocking where the quality of available drinking water is questionable. Do you see a canister that looks like a water filter in that second water line? Less probable, some prior owner may have added a second faucet for why knows why.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Thank you azflycaster & 47WeeWind for your replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
GreatPumpkin, you should have both hot and cold water while boondocking. The water pump prushes water to the cold water taps and also the hot water taps by way of the water heater. It is the same as being on city water except that the pump provides the pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
The 12 volt water pump should be "downstream" of your water heater. When turned on, and when a hot water faucet is opened, the water pump should push cold water into the bottom of the water heater. That cold water should displaced and push hot water out of the top of the water heater and through the hot water faucet, giving you hot water while boondocking. It should work the same principle as your home water system, where city water pressure forces cold water into the bottom of your home water heater and hot water out the top, through the pipes and into your sinks and tubs when you open a hot water faucet
As I lay awake pondering my plumbing last night, I came to the same conclusion that it should work. My confusion came from prior ownership of an SOB. It had a regular water faucet for city hookup, and a little tiny one that was fed by a little tiny pump. Two seperate systems. That pump wouldn't have put out enough pressure to feed a regular size faucet very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Look at the serial number plate on the exterior of your trailer near the door. Does is state "Land Yacht" or "International Land Yacht"? What is your trailer serial number?

If your trailer is an International model, it may have a second faucet that has (or had) an inline water filter which filters the water coming from your water storage tank for drinking. That feature is useful when boondocking where the quality of available drinking water is questionable. Do you see a canister that looks like a water filter in that second water line? Less probable, some prior owner may have added a second faucet for why knows why.
Mine is a Land Yacht, S-026410559. However my owners manual did mention a filter under the kitchen sink (long gone). That makes sense. The second faucet was probably there for exactly that reason. - BUT there's also a filter/faucet in the bathroom - what is the point of a filter at the bathroom faucet also? (see picture) This actually says "Ogden filter" around the rim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0096.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	21214   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0097.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	21215  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0098.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	21216  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Mine is a Land Yacht, S-026410559. However my owners manual did mention a filter under the kitchen sink (long gone). That makes sense. The second faucet was probably there for exactly that reason. - BUT there's also a filter/faucet in the bathroom - what is the point of a filter at the bathroom faucet also? (see picture) This actually says "Ogden filter" around the rim.
G P'kin: That upright Ogden water filter on the bathroom sink counter is an extra cost option for your Land Yacht. It also is the slightly earlier version of the Ogden in line water filter that may have orignally been installed underneath your kitchen sink in the extra faucet line. These Ogden filters are used to purify water for drinking. Neat accessory!

Go to R.J. Dial's great trailer resource web site:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...suppliers.html

and click on "General Ecology", a source for replacement filter elements for your Odgen water filters. As R.J. notes, the replacement Ogden filters are not listed on the GE website, so inquire about them. Explore R.J.'s web site while you are there, and revisit often.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Thanks, you've been a big help!

2001 Honda XR650R