Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Power Cord Recommenations

Hoping to leverage off your experience on your power cord and related accessory inventory. I'm picking up a 27FB International Signature from the dealer this coming weekend and haven't yet purchased any power cords. Can you recommend a good combination of cords, adaptors, dog bones etc to have on hand…including make/vendors and what I should expect to spend. Also interested in what I need to run some awning lights…just an ordinary extension cord? All opinions and expertise much appreciated!
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Can't offer any help with lights for the awning but should be relatively easy if you have the outside plug on the awning side. As to the other stuff I suggest that you have the
"dog bone" adapters for the 30a - 20a. That will allow you to plug into a normal household plug for 15a or 20a service. Will power the converter but may not be sufficient for AC or microwave. But when you're parked it will charge your batteries so you can run most everything else. ALSO useful but somewhat less essential is the dog bone for 30a - 50a. You may encounter some more recently upgraded campground services that have only a 50a plug available at the post. This has only happened one time to us. ALSO on the less essential side would be an extension to the 30a power cord. Again only one time did we need one. Could have moved the trailer closer but since I had one life was a little easier. These should all be available through Camping World so easy to check their website for pricing. The adaptors are pretty cheap but the cable could be pricey.

Good luck with your shopping.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Congrat on your new AS.
When we purchased our AS it came with a power cord for the electrical boxes at the camp site. We did have to buy an adapter that we could use on a regular outlet and on our generators. Don't remember the cost of the adaptors but you should be able to find them at Lowes or Home Depot.
Although I do not use awning lights I have used a regular extension cord, designed for out door use, for other electrical devices.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you are going to use the extension cord when it is below 40 degrees, I would recommend you buy a blue jacketed one, They do not get stiff like the orange ones do when it is cold.
You should buy one with 12 gauge wire not the cheap 14 gauge ones, unless you are just going to use it for Christmas lights.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Congrat on your new AS.
When we purchased our AS it came with a power cord for the electrical boxes at the camp site. We did have to buy an adapter that we could use on a regular outlet and on our generators. Don't remember the cost of the adaptors but you should be able to find them at Lowes or Home Depot.
Although I do not use awning lights I have used a regular extension cord, designed for out door use, for other electrical devices.
Even with 30 amp service, which is everywhere, the 50 to 30 amp dogbone has been useful to me more than once. In both cases the 30 amp outlet on the post was old and worn. Once the power cord literally fell out of the outlet if the post cover wasn't closed tightly, in the other I just found that the outlet face had heavy damage to the plastic, and I didn't want to have a shocking connection. 50 amp outlets have less wear and tear most places.

Carry at least 1 LONG heavy outdoor rated extension cord. A couple of 10 to 20 footers are useful too. I had a 30 amp cord stolen (I left it unattended while I went to dump my tanks. Lesson learned.) and we kept the trailer warm by popping the screen out of the Fantastic fan, threading a cord out to the post, and plugging it in to my Dyson Hot/Cold. New 30 amp cords aren't cheap, so in a strange campground you might want to run it through the spokes of your wheel, then padlock the loop shut. Unless you have a neighbor you know and trust, keep temptation out of the way of strangers by locking down everything or leaving someone to watch all of your possessions. A rottweiler with and attitude will do nicely.

Paula
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have ordered all the 50amp power cords and adapters for our new Classic directly from Furrion. They are a top line quality manufacturer for both marine and RV power cords. They are not cheap knockoffs like in some camping stores. I also had their products for the 25FB International Serenity.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
First, every camper I've ever seen comes with a power cord. Check that before you spend money on something you don't need.

Second, we carry a 30 amp extension cord. I think we've only used it once or twice, but I've lent it to friends at rallies on more than one occasion. It's nice to have when you need it. (I also carry two water hoses even though I rarely need the second one.)

Third, I'd like to get a 50 amp dogbone adapter, but just haven't gotten around to it. It's a good idea to have one.

Fourth, a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter is a must-have; up until very recently we used ours at home all the time (we now have a 30 amp outlet at home). Don't pay more than $5 or $10 for one. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. all carry them (here's one on Amazon. I also have a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, but I've never used it, so I wouldn't bother with it (I got it for a rally at a VFW where we had 20 amp power available, but the outlet was too far from the camper to use anything but a long 15 amp extension cord).

Fifth, if you do have to buy a cord for the camper, I recommend that you find one of the ones that stays flexible in cold weather. The standard ones that usually come with the camper do not, and it's annoying. Even above freezing, when it's cold, they get stiffer and hard to manage. I don't have any recommendations on brands - we still have the annoying cord. The Furrion cords probably remain flexible in cold weather, but make sure you get one with the correct RV male end.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Fourth, a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter is a must-have
Shouldn't that be a 15-to-30 adaptor instead?

Also, if you have one with a short section of cord between the 15-amp plug and the 30-amp socket, that will work best. The really cheap adaptors are cylindrical, with a 30-amp socket on one end and a 15amp plug on the other. The dealer gave me one, but when I plugged mine in, I had to use a bungee cord to suspend the 30amp cord— or wedge a length of 2×4 under it if there's nowhere to hang it— to keep cord, adaptor, and all from being pulled out of the socket by gravity. I gave up on it and bought this:
and haven't had any trouble since. It doesn't try to unplug itself under the influence of gravity.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
If you are planning on using awning lights you might want to consider a wireless on/off switch. They are usually offered this year as an item to use on a Xmas tree. I have one and like the ability to turn the awning lights on/off from inside the trailer. They are 120v and plug into an extension cord.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
If you are planning on using awning lights you might want to consider a wireless on/off switch. They are usually offered this year as an item to use on a Xmas tree. I have one and like the ability to turn the awning lights on/off from inside the trailer. They are 120v and plug into an extension cord.
I bought one intended for use with a shop-vac; the remote is attached to a Velcro band, which made it easy to stick up where I won't lose it. But I made one miscalculation. It's not intended for outdoor use, so if rain starts up I have go go out and unplug it, even if there's not enough wind to require retracting the awning.

So I just bought another one, specifically intended for outdoor use. The remote has a keychain ring, that I can attach to a belt loop on my pants if I'm not schlepping my keys with me.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Furrion has a short gray pigtail that will fasten into the 30 amp power twistlock socket on the Airstream and the other end is a 15 amp plug. It also has a bright power LED that is easy to see in the dark to verify that power is coming to the trailer power input.

Their website price includes shipping and no sales tax.

FP3015-SS

This pigtail could also be connected to their 30 amp 25' extension cord.

F30C25-SS

or 50' extension cord.

F30C50-SS

And this is a short yellow 50 amp to 15 amp pigtail.

FP5515-SY

I used this 30 amp pigtail plus a 25' 15 amp extension cord made with #12 wire at the storage unit rather than having the more expensive 30 amp cord connected with a 15 amp adapter. We are supposed to use less than six amps to just keep the batteries charged.

I will use the 50 amp pigtail on the new trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Shouldn't that be a 15-to-30 adaptor instead?
I'm certain you know the correct specification. But I see a 30 amp plug that I need to put into a 15 amp socket. I just look at the item or the pictures to ensure I have the right thing.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I'm certain you know the correct specification. But I see a 30 amp plug that I need to put into a 15 amp socket. I just look at the item or the pictures to ensure I have the right thing.
I'm like you… I look to see if what I'm buying plugs in the way it's supposed to. But as an engineer by profession, I'm also pedantic by nature. I meant no criticism. Adapters are usually listed as from-to, so from 15-amp supply to 30-amp RV.

The biggest adjustment to retirement— coming up in about a year— won't be the much better working hours, or the much reduced paycheck. It will be learning how to quit using engineering jargon! No more need to call a spade a spade if calling it a shovel is good enough.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I'm like you… I look to see if what I'm buying plugs in the way it's supposed to. But as an engineer by profession, I'm also pedantic by nature. I meant no criticism. Adapters are usually listed as from-to, so from 15-amp supply to 30-amp RV.

The biggest adjustment to retirement— coming up in about a year— won't be the much better working hours, or the much reduced paycheck. It will be learning how to quit using engineering jargon! No more need to call a spade a spade if calling it a shovel is good enough.
Shall we start a betting pool on whether or not you'll be able to mend your ways?

I'm a computer programmer and an obsessive stickler for using the technically-correct word or phrase, even when it's not related to computers. I'm not sure there's any hope for us, even in retirement.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
It will be learning how to quit using engineering jargon! No more need to call a spade a spade if calling it a shovel is good enough.
Well, I have some of that too...for example, I cringe when someone calls my inline skates "rollerblades". Fortunately that happens less and less since Rollerblade isn't as popular as they were.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljsydney View Post
Hoping to leverage off your experience on your power cord and related accessory inventory. I'm picking up a 27FB International Signature from the dealer this coming weekend and haven't yet purchased any power cords. Can you recommend a good combination of cords, adaptors, dog bones etc to have on hand…including make/vendors and what I should expect to spend. Also interested in what I need to run some awning lights…just an ordinary extension cord? All opinions and expertise much appreciated!
The 27FB is wired for 30a power. The dealer will include a 25' long, 30a power cord for use at campgrounds, and an adapter that will allow the same power cord to be used with ordinarily household outlets. Depending on your situation, that might be all you need.

Rarely, you may find yourself at a campsite where the 25' cord won't reach. This has happened to me twice in 3 years of traveling. I carry a 50', 30a extension cord to deal with these rare situations.

I also carry a high-quality, 12 gauge, 100' long, outdoor rated extension cord with ordinary household plugs on it, which is sometimes helpful when staying in a friend's driveway or similar place.

For awning lights, I have a lightweight 24' cord that I use.

I have other stuff that's more specialized that most people don't carry -- a "power squid" which has extra outlets for awning lights, power tools, other trailers, or whatever, and some really long extension cords for staying in fairgrounds and those few remaining festival campgrounds where there's a single pole serving 20-30 trailers.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
New 30 amp cords aren't cheap, so in a strange campground you might want to run it through the spokes of your wheel, then padlock the loop shut. Unless you have a neighbor you know and trust, keep temptation out of the way of strangers by locking down everything or leaving someone to watch all of your possessions. A rottweiler with and attitude will do nicely. Paula
I must be living a sheltered life, in all of the RV parks that I have stayed in over the years including some sleazy ones, I have never had anything stolen. Now, don't get me wrong I don't leave the doors open and and my lap top sitting on the outside table while I am gone. But I normally leave chairs, ice chest, extension cords including my 30 am extension cord when I have needed it all in a neat and organized manner and I have never had anything taken.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Thanks everyone…well, I picked up the Airstream this past weekend and you were right…it did come with a 30 amp Furrion power cord. So I'll go for the 15/20 and 50 to 30 amp dog bones and a 30 amp extension cord for now. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote