Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It will be learning how to quit using engineering jargon! No more need to call a spade a spade if calling it a shovel is good enough.
Well, I have some of that too...for example, I cringe when someone calls my inline skates "rollerblades". Fortunately that happens less and less since Rollerblade isn't as popular as they were.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Ljsydney View Post
Hoping to leverage off your experience on your power cord and related accessory inventory. I'm picking up a 27FB International Signature from the dealer this coming weekend and haven't yet purchased any power cords. Can you recommend a good combination of cords, adaptors, dog bones etc to have on hand…including make/vendors and what I should expect to spend. Also interested in what I need to run some awning lights…just an ordinary extension cord? All opinions and expertise much appreciated!
The 27FB is wired for 30a power. The dealer will include a 25' long, 30a power cord for use at campgrounds, and an adapter that will allow the same power cord to be used with ordinarily household outlets. Depending on your situation, that might be all you need.

Rarely, you may find yourself at a campsite where the 25' cord won't reach. This has happened to me twice in 3 years of traveling. I carry a 50', 30a extension cord to deal with these rare situations.

I also carry a high-quality, 12 gauge, 100' long, outdoor rated extension cord with ordinary household plugs on it, which is sometimes helpful when staying in a friend's driveway or similar place.

For awning lights, I have a lightweight 24' cord that I use.

I have other stuff that's more specialized that most people don't carry -- a "power squid" which has extra outlets for awning lights, power tools, other trailers, or whatever, and some really long extension cords for staying in fairgrounds and those few remaining festival campgrounds where there's a single pole serving 20-30 trailers.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
New 30 amp cords aren't cheap, so in a strange campground you might want to run it through the spokes of your wheel, then padlock the loop shut. Unless you have a neighbor you know and trust, keep temptation out of the way of strangers by locking down everything or leaving someone to watch all of your possessions. A rottweiler with and attitude will do nicely. Paula
I must be living a sheltered life, in all of the RV parks that I have stayed in over the years including some sleazy ones, I have never had anything stolen. Now, don't get me wrong I don't leave the doors open and and my lap top sitting on the outside table while I am gone. But I normally leave chairs, ice chest, extension cords including my 30 am extension cord when I have needed it all in a neat and organized manner and I have never had anything taken.
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Thanks everyone…well, I picked up the Airstream this past weekend and you were right…it did come with a 30 amp Furrion power cord. So I'll go for the 15/20 and 50 to 30 amp dog bones and a 30 amp extension cord for now. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote