Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
capnfinn

1962 22' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Power Converter setup 62 Safari?

Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum and recently purchased a nice 62 Safari 22ft that I am rebuilding. I have a question about the 12V System in these old model trailers. As I read in the forums they do not have a converter or charger setup, just the front battery to run fan and pump. I want to install a converter/charger with the batteries inside. I've seen that some folks have done that.
My problem is, the 110V wires and fuse box are located behind the curbeside wheelwell.The 12V setup obviously under the front window on the outside. How did you guys bring the two together? do I have to rip appart my newly painted interior skin and rewire, or can I just use the 12V wires that are designed to be an outlet close to my breakerbox?
Thanks for any help!
koelbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Adding a Convertor

Welcome to the Forum

Most power convertors plug directly into a standard household 120 volt outlet. If you were to locate it near to your battery, you could run heavy gauge wire, such as 6 or 8 gauge to the battery to charge it. Before running wires to a light, pump, or etc. on the trailer, be sure to have a fuse panel for protection of the circuits.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
capnfinn

1962 22' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
good idea, thanks!
But I still need to get my wires from the inside to the outside battery. Wonder if I need to tear down my interior skin for that
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have the same set up for batteries up front and power behind the curbside wheel too. I plan to move the batteries to where the power comes in and locate everything there in one central location. Safari Tim or Ambassador Tim did something similar in his 1960 Ambassador. He has great pictures of what he did on 1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! He located everything in a closet and under a bed. Running down where all the wires go and what they do can be a challenge, my advise is to get a good continuity tester and and some long jump cables so you can find the beginning and end of each of the wires. I think the ones in the battery box go into the wall and down to an access panel in the belly pan near the front. From there they go out to the trailers 12v appliances. I also think they go clockwise around the trailer from there.That is as far as I have gotten... I will follow what you do so it will be easier on me. Are your batteries the skinny, tractor type? I will be putting in AGM and using Intellapower to convert much like Tim did on his Ambassador. His blog is a great read and I higly recommend listening to Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
capnfinn

1962 22' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
progress

Thanks all for the input! Great site, the Ambassador project. Way more advanced than what I can do, but hey, it´s my first one!
[IMG]file:///Users/iMacG5/Desktop/Email%20Pics/P1000751.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/iMacG5/Desktop/Email%20Pics/P1000732.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/iMacG5/Desktop/Email%20Pics/P1000722.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/iMacG5/Desktop/Email%20Pics/P1000695.jpg[/IMG]
Today I hooked up my converter and fishwired the 12 V cables from the back wall down to the 110V fusebox and connected everything. Then went around and checked the power and...surprise. All 12 V outlets have power! The aluminum interior wall seems to be ground (didn´t know aluminum was a good ground)! So I can go on now and order my batteries and get my 12V lights installed!

By the way, does anyone have a good source for built in halogen spotlights for under the cabinets? I am planning on installing 3 spot lights each side under the overhead cabinets. 12 V or course!

I will post some images once I have figured out how to do that!