Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Power Converter Died??!!

Hi All,

I'm in a bit of worry here...I was using my trailer Saturday and all worked well. When I left, I turned the a/c/heater unit off on the switch in the ceiling, but forgot and left the thermostat set to heat.

I go out today and there is electrical power in the coach at all and I no longer hear the hum of the converter.

Did I BBQ the unit by leaving the thermostat on and turning the actual HVAC unit off? I wouldn't have thought this would hurt it. Could it just be concidental?

I know I have power coming to the cord.

I'm inclined to think the converter died. Is it fixable? Or is it like most electronics and you throw it away and replace? How much do they cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jim.

Your converter has nothing to do with the AC.

The converter (univolt) is for 12 volt circuits "only".

If your using an extension cord, form city power to the trailer cord, it quite well is too small for the current drain, causing a circuit breaker within the trailer to blow.

Or, if the trailer is plugged in direct, then check you 120 volt circuit breakers.
Flip them to off, and then back to on.

Try that. If that does not work, then please post a reply.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Exactly...

I'd check your circuts. The univolt plugs into the 120v system, making 12volts from that. #1, make sure that the power outlet that the trailer is plugged into is really live.

#2, check all of your circuts (reset your circut breakers),
#3, the univolt has it's own fuses (open the door at the end of the box) and check those fuses also.
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Let There be light!

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Actually I'd tried the breakers yesterday but it seemed to make no difference. However I had to leave for a business trip and couldn't mess with it much. I just got back, read your posts, and went out to the coach. I took an electrical tester with me. First checked the garage outlet; it was good. Checked the end of the extension cord, it was good. Got a flashlight and went inside the trailer, checked an outlet. It showed power. Hmmmm, checked another one, no power. OK, I've got power to some circuits and not others. I went back to the panel again, hit the red "reset" button just for kicks, then turned off the two lower ones and then flipped them back on. The lights came back on!

I don't really understand why it worked today and didn't yesterday. All I can figure is the lower right breaker (a 15 amp) didn't have the right "feel" when I clicked it back on. Like it's worn out or something. I tried turning off each of the bottom two individually; each time the lights went out. I'd unplug the right hand one (the 15amp that doesn't feel right) and the lights went out, I turned it on and they came on. I then turned off the left lower one (I forget the amperage of that one) and the lights went out and came back on again when I turned it on again.

So at any rate, the univolt still works OK. I might have a faulty breaker.

Are univolts something that do generally last forever or should I look at replacing it? My trailer is a '77...

Anyway, thanks again guys. I appreciate your help. Even though I don't have it roadworthy yet, at least now I can play with my kids in it again until I do get it roadworthy. She'll hit the highways this summer though!

Thanks!

Jim
Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Ps

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...

Andy, I have pulled a 30 amp circuit to an RV plug off the end of my garage so I can plug the right sized cord up. I just haven't gotten it wired into the main panel of the house yet...so I am unfortunately using a 20amp circuit now with a plug adapter. Maybe this weekend I can get the right plug hooked up.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jim,
Sounds like you might have a breaker going bad. I replaced one of mine because I found I could turn it off, turn it back on and sometimes it would not make a complete circuit.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote