Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
High point , North Carolina
Powdery substance cuts down condensation?

Having water (condensation?) Drip down from a/c unit...not much, but aggrevating. Another camper said they bought a round plastic bowl with some type of powdery substance that helps prevent comdensation in AS..anyone know what this is called and does it work for a/c drip??
Gmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Water condensate is a normal byproduct of air conditioning Some models just drip down the outside of the unit, some have a discharge tube that usually discharges in the wheel well, some have a collection pan.The powder you are describing sounds like a desiccant. I have not heard of it being used in air conditioners. What kind of air conditioner do you have?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Sounds like Damp-Rid. Available at Camping World, Amazon, West Marine, and other fine purveyors of RV and/or boating equipment.

It will not work for A/C drip. If the A/C is dripping inside the trailer, you have a leak somewhere, and no desiccant will dry the drip fast enough to keep it from dripping. Damp Rid is best used when your trailer is in storage to prevent condensation while you're away. Also works inside your fridge to prevent mold, by the way…
Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Garden City , Alabama
Probably dri air z. Stuff works great. I use it in my AS and my MH. You won't believe how much water it will collect out of the air.
jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Agree with Protag - if the AC is dripping inside the trailer, it sounds likely that there is some sort of problem with it - cracked condensate tray? blocked drain line? other?

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything that sounds like a bowl of silica gel or similar being of any help for that sort of situation.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Garden City , Alabama
Drain stopped up on my old raptor toyhauler a/c and it dripped water like crazy in the floor. Got up on roof and unstopped it then all was good. My AS drain is in front of passenger tire.
jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
At least once a year dirt dobbers stop up our 3/8 inch condensate tube where it drains under the trailer. A plastic soda straw inserted into the end of the tube always starts the flow. Apparently the dirt dobbers don't insert themselves more than about 6" into the drain.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
If the drip is inside, check the drain hoses to make sure they have clamps on them.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmutt View Post
Having water (condensation?) Drip down from a/c unit...not much, but aggrevating. Another camper said they bought a round plastic bowl with some type of powdery substance that helps prevent comdensation in AS..anyone know what this is called and does it work for a/c drip??
Like others have said, your neighbor camper was most likely talking about DampRid. I doubt it will help with condensation while you occupy the trailer. It's more for storage situations where you are not there, (breathing, sweating, taking showers, opening and closing doors). I use 3 large pales when I leave my 34' trailer in storage. It's available at Walmart.

If you let moisture in and/or produce it by your activities, there will be condensation. From those places that condensate forms and drips, which are not drained otherwise, it will drip inside.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I had a leaking cracked A/C condensate tray and I just used some RV "Goop" which I purchased from Walmart. (Probably the same as Shoe Goop or any other "Goop"s. except it does have UV inhibitors in it). I did make sure the drain tube was clear so that wasn't a problem. It was far easier to Goop up the drain pan than to yank the heat pump (air conditioner) and then replace the pan.

It's been working fine ever since (for over two years).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
At least once a year dirt dobbers stop up our 3/8 inch condensate tube where it drains under the trailer. A plastic soda straw inserted into the end of the tube always starts the flow. Apparently the dirt dobbers don't insert themselves more than about 6" into the drain.
When the trailer is in storage, stick a golf tee in the drain as a plug. That will keep the bugs out.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Agree with Protag - if the AC is dripping inside the trailer, it sounds likely that there is some sort of problem with it - cracked condensate tray? blocked drain line? other?

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything that sounds like a bowl of silica gel or similar being of any help for that sort of situation.

Brian.
Sorry, but I disagree with this diagnosis. If it is like what I experienced yesterday it is not a problem with the A/C drain, but rather that the unit chills everything inside too cold. If it is very humid (100% yesterday) the moisture in the air is not extracted, but condensed on the cold surfaces, including the inside skin of the trailer. In my experience this indicates that the A/C unit may be too large for the space and is not able to run long enough between cycles to extract the humidity.

Check out Eva-Dry for small dehumidifiers.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmutt View Post
I didn't know that cocaine could be used to reduce humidity...

There are products you can use that involve silica to help keep humidity down, as long as there are no underlying causes for the drip. Loose drain connections, cracks in the drain pan/cups, crushed drain tubes, blockages in the drains or even a rusted-out base pan can cause the drip.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with this diagnosis. If it is like what I experienced yesterday it is not a problem with the A/C drain, but rather that the unit chills everything inside too cold.
My and Winegeezer's "diagnosis" wasn't based on your experiences. It was based on what the OP, Gmutt, said— specifically "Having water (condensation?) Drip down from a/c unit...not much, but aggrevating."

Gmutt knew he had a drip from the A/C, but was unsure if it was condensation. In your case, you know it's condensation, and it's not dripping from the A/C but rather forming on the walls/windows. Not the same symptoms at all.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My and Winegeezer's "diagnosis" wasn't based on your experiences. It was based on what the OP, Gmutt, said— specifically "Having water (condensation?) Drip down from a/c unit...not much, but aggrevating."

Gmutt knew he had a drip from the A/C, but was unsure if it was condensation. In your case, you know it's condensation, and it's not dripping from the A/C but rather forming on the walls/windows. Not the same symptoms at all.
Sorry to disagree again, but after careful reading of the OP, I'm pretty sure he stated (and meant) condensation not condensate - totally different symptoms. The condensation that I see forms on every cold surface and as the A/C is the coldest that is where the largest drops of condensation form.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Sorry to disagree again, but after careful reading of the OP, I'm pretty sure he stated (and meant) condensation not condensate - totally different symptoms. The condensation that I see forms on every cold surface and as the A/C is the coldest that is where the largest drops of condensation form.
Doesn't much matter anyway. As long as the OP gets a usable answer, our agreement or disagreement is immaterial.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Hey, no need to be so sorry - different views are good - who knows, Protagonist and I may be wrong!

Always good to keep an open mind!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
No clarification from Gmutt leaving us to guess. Are you out there?