Old 07-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Portable Solar Panel Battery Charger

Northern Tool offers a 15 watt portable solar panel, alligator clips, controls etc to keep up to 4 parallel batteries charged. I like the idea, $159 dollars solves that problem while in storage. I figure I could secure the panel on top of my LP cover. Anybody tried this?

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For $130 more you can get the 100 watt Renogy portable system

Amazon.com: Renogy*Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger, 100W: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thats an overkill for what I'm looking for.
TAC FL-47
Old 08-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Not much power, seems to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Thats an overkill for what I'm looking for.
15 watts of PVC power is 1 amp because the panels make 15VDC then goes through the power controller if there is one and hits the batteries at around 14.4 VDC if the controller is a good one.

When you think about it, you will only have about 0.25 amp @ 13 to 14 VDC for each of your 4 batteries. It may not make much of an impression on them.

By that, I mean, the batteries may self discharge at a greater rate than the PVC power charges them. BTW, w/o a charge controller - the batteries may heat the PVCs at night. You don't want that.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Got the power

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

Amazon.com: Renogy*Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger, 100W: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Chief, I have a Nature Power suitcase that I bought on Amazon. It is so powerful that it is almost scary. It's 120 watts. It can do a good job.

I expect the one you mentioned will also provide a lot of clean power.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
15 watts of panel power is virtually nothing, especially since you are going to use it horizontal, and the sun angle will be off most all of the time. It will keep your batteries charged only if nothing is on. It will essentially not recharge at all, especially with multiple batteries.

But that may be all you want or need.

For $150 you can get a Grape Solar 100 watt panel. Add a charge controller for another $100 and you can have a real solar system with the capacity that Airstream puts on their original equipment system. Still a bit puny but better than 15 watts.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
15 watts of panel power is virtually nothing, especially since you are going to use it horizontal, and the sun angle will be off most all of the time. It will keep your batteries charged only if nothing is on. It will essentially not recharge at all, especially with multiple batteries.

But that may be all you want or need.

For $150 you can get a Grape Solar 100 watt panel. Add a charge controller for another $100 and you can have a real solar system with the capacity that Airstream puts on their original equipment system. Still a bit puny but better than 15 watts.
Ok, the idea here is to keep the two batteries charged in storage, not during use. I did purchase a small solar panel unit that fits horizontal on top of my LP tank cover, secured loosely by bongie cords & guess what, for less than $70 it does the job very well. I'm not looking to charge while boondocking as I have a generator for that.
TAC FL-47
Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wolf, I see that their system does not come with a charge controller. What controller are you using?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

Chief,

Are you not concerned about theft of the unit when you are not at the camp site? This unit makes a lot of sense and significantly more reasonable than the roof mounted.

>>ron<<
Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Chief,

Are you not concerned about theft of the unit when you are not at the camp site? This unit makes a lot of sense and significantly more reasonable than the roof mounted.

>>ron<<
These days theft is always a concern. Things can be locked to keep honest people honest. Professionals laugh at locks of any kind. I am still considering what type solar set up I am going to use. I like the portable systems for easy adjustment to best collection direction and angle. Roof mounted would certainly be more secure but are next to useless when park under shade and possibility of storm damage is increased over portable. Like most subjects here people have differing opinions.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
15 watts works fine in my northern sun exposure for storage, provided the store switch is off. (I did move my co detector supply wire to the downstream side of the store switch)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote