Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
wilmington , North Carolina
Pink wire short

Im having trouble finding a short
in a 79 Sovereign center bath AS. Its the pink wire in the fuse panel.
Ive looked at the wiring Diagram in the service manual but its not very helpful for me. I was wondering if any Sovereign owners could suggest a place to start. Im not really sure what its supposed to power. Ive had the AS for a few months and not tried to fire up Furnace or the oven. There is a 12v light near the centerbath that doesnt work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
What kind of problem are you having? How do you know you have a short are you blowing fuses?
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Pink wire #3: 1977 schematic shows 12 volt outlet street side, oven light, overhead galley light kitchen, middle ceiling light fan, and furnace.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
Pink wire #3: 1977 schematic shows 12 volt outlet street side, oven light, overhead galley light kitchen, middle ceiling light fan, and furnace.
And it could be almost any of those. A kid might have stuck a penny in the 12v outlet, the three way switch for the light may be shorted or wired incorrectly, the fan motor may be burned up, or the furnace may have a short. The furnace would be easiest to check off the list. Simply make sure the thermostat for it is "off".
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
making two assumptions here
  • when you put a new fuse in the Pink circuit slot, it blows
  • you have the original Blue Whale 120V-to-12V converter (it might say 'Univolt' on it).

Leave the system for 12 volts shut down (unplug the heavy black wire you keep in the rear 'trunk' when you travel). If that isn't plugged in, make sure the 120V plug from the Blue Whale is not plugged into anything.

Go around to all the appliances that Silverhawk listed for you, and with a simple VTVM (can be had for $5 at Pep Boys, etc), find which one has continuity between the + and the - connectors in it.

As you do this, look closely at all the sockets and see if you can see any strands of wires making contact with both the positive an negative of all given lights, etc.

If what I am saying sounds like Greek or Russian to you, you need to find somebody to help you out.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Thank you for the replies. Im finding them very helpful even though I havent yet been able to find the short. I didnt know I had an exhaust fan over the stove for instance. Is that fan activated by opening the outside vent or is there a switch Im missing?
Ive checked all but the furnace and stove light. Thats next. Ill post the results. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamper View Post
I didnt know I had an exhaust fan over the stove for instance. Is that fan activated by opening the outside vent or is there a switch I'm missing?
On our '74, when you open the locker above the stove, you see the 'Master Control Panel' (or some name similar to that). You'll know it as a bunch of meters and dials. On ours, at the far right is a vertical slider that opens the outside vent and turns on the fan.

Open it careful, since, if it hasn't been used in a while, may need a lube job to work without getting bending things happening in it.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Look at the main control panel above the microwave. This is assuming you have a microwave and fridge on the street side. My center bath 81 excella had a loose wire on that panel that would short against ground and blow a fuse. You should be able to see any loose wires by opening the cabinet just under the control panel and look up. Just put the wire back on the blade lug it came off of.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Thanks Perry. The problem seems to be the furnace wiring. Stove exhaust fan, hall light and dc outlet check out. After disconnecting the the stove and furnace the fuse could be reset. Continuity checked out on the stove. That leaves the furnace on that circuit. The NT-30 looks in ok shape, some surface rust. Ive taken it to a service center for a bench test. Assuming it checks out, does anyone have a problem reinstalling a 24 year old propane furnace?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Assuming it checks out, does anyone have a problem reinstalling a 24 year old propane furnace?
I wouldn't reinstall it, these furnaces have a tendency to have the combustion chamber rust from the inside out and start letting poisonous gas into the trailer somewhere around 20-35 years old, depending on use and environment.

Very hard to see the inside of the combustion chamber to tell if it really is OK.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The furnace may or may not be fixable. If the combustion chamber has a hole in it then it could be a problem.

Perry
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Ok that sounds like good advice. Apparently I still cant find the short. About 12 hours after a new fuse was installed it blew again. Ive never encountered an "eventually"
blowing fuse. Stove , furnace ,exhaust fan and hall lite were disconnected. Very strange
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get an amp meter and put in series with the fuse and see what the current draw is. Then you can start unhooking things off that circuit. If you have everything unhooked and you are still drawing current you have a short to ground somewhere. You could also unhook the supply positive lead and measure resistances.

Perry
Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Merry Christmas
I found the short finally. In this sovereign the "pink wire" powers
the galley fan, furnace, hall light, stove light/ignitor, water pump and tank sensor board above the stove. The short disappeared when I disconnected the boards ground wire and positive pink. The black and grey water tanks were removed at some point. Still looking for those.
Is it possiple to re-establish the sensor board without the original univolt?
Thanks again for everyones input.

Happy Holidays
Kevin
Old 12-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Glad you found the short!

Zepellinium has a lot of good info in this post for replacing the shunt and wiring tank monitors:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tml#post851643
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think you are going to have a hard time finding all the correct parts to make everything work as stock again. Mine had the control panel and it still took a fair amount of work to get it going again.

Perry

Quote:
Merry Christmas
I found the short finally. In this sovereign the "pink wire" powers
the galley fan, furnace, hall light, stove light/ignitor, water pump and tank sensor board above the stove. The short disappeared when I disconnected the boards ground wire and positive pink. The black and grey water tanks were removed at some point. Still looking for those.
Is it possiple to re-establish the sensor board without the original univolt?
Thanks again for everyones input.

Happy Holidays
Kevin