Parker , Colorado
Deleted.. no issue

I deleted my question as I figured it out

Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you get 12.7V at the fan with the existing power input *and* with the fan turned on?

A loose wire nut could give you a high resistance connection and you would get the symptoms you describe.

If you do get 12.7 with the existing wires and the fan turned on .... look elsewhere. The fan *is* getting power. It may be blocked in some way or it may not be fully connected. If there is voltage ( with the fan on / loading the circuit ) , it's got power.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Do you get 12.7V at the fan with the existing power input *and* with the fan turned on?

A loose wire nut could give you a high resistance connection and you would get the symptoms you describe.

If you do get 12.7 with the existing wires and the fan turned on .... look elsewhere. The fan *is* getting power. It may be blocked in some way or it may not be fully connected. If there is voltage ( with the fan on / loading the circuit ) , it's got power.

Bob
Bob, really, really stupid.... it turned out to be a blown 15 amp fuse. I didn't check the fuses because I was reading 12.7 Volts. I have heard of phantom voltage befire, that was throwing me off.

Even with the fuse completely removed, killing all potential for power, I still read 12.7 on the meter. Strange.....

when I put new fuse in, it worked fine..... always check the basics....
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you take a look at the fuse, it likely is all black on the inside. Essentially the fuse metal vapor plated the inside of the fuse holder. What's *really* fun is when one uses a 12V fuse on 120V ( my excuse is that I was 15 years old at the time ). The same "plating" process creates an arc lamp. It glows a neat blue color for a bit before it explodes .... Lots of fun

Bob
Old 06-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Metal plasma does look cool, until the container overheats and sprays shrapnel, huh?

Larger sizes of low voltage fuses have ceramic bodies and are filled with sand to suppress the arc...and they can still blow apart under the right (really, really, wrong) conditions.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Metal plasma does look cool, until the container overheats and sprays shrapnel, huh?

Larger sizes of low voltage fuses have ceramic bodies and are filled with sand to suppress the arc...and they can still blow apart under the right (really, really, wrong) conditions.
Hi

Needless to say, it *was* a learning experience. I've been very careful with fuse types ever since.

Just as there is an issue with low voltage / high voltage, fuses have different ratings for AC and DC. A 250V fuse may only be 250V on AC ....

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
When I first started working with electricity (1996), it was at an industrial manufacturing facility with huge motor control centers, fuses the size of tennis ball tubes. My happiest day was about a year in, when the crew stopped using the nickname I had earned a year earlier, “sparky”.

Great knowledge learned, but lucky to be alive.....
Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
When I first started working with electricity (1996), it was at an industrial manufacturing facility with huge motor control centers, fuses the size of tennis ball tubes. My happiest day was about a year in, when the crew stopped using the nickname I had earned a year earlier, “sparky”.

Great knowledge learned, but lucky to be alive.....
Hi

At one point in my years of playing at work , I "plated" a pair of safety glasses with the decomposed remains of one of the lugs on a rather large switch. Seems somebody downstream of the switch (not I ) had gotten confused about the neutral and one of the hot legs. Bottom line -- don't get lazy about closing the door on the switch before you turn it on.

I really should have had those glasses mounted as a trophy. Both as a reminder about electricity *and* about eye protection. ( it also did a number on the shirt ...). It only took a few years before the daily comments about the event dropped back to weekly ....

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob