Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Parallax 7300 convertor upgrade problem

I just upgraded the Parallax 7355 convertor in my 2009 Flying Cloud with the Ultra III which I bought from BEST CONVERTORS. Installation went according to their helpful instructions (although it took WAY longer than the 1/2 hour they promise). Batteries are now charging again, but when I turn on any lights, the cooling fan comes on immediately. Called Randy at Best Convertor and his response was that the new unit has to "adapt" itself to the environment in your RV, getting used to the pattern of on and off of various lights, appliances, etc. He said this could take anywhere from one day to one week. Seems like a rather odd thing to expect from a unit that is supposed to be one of the best. Any experienced folks out there who might have a different view? Not happy running all the lights, etc. 24/7 because I don't like all the wear and tear on them. Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Jack
JackRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
How low is the battery? If it's really low (so the Parallax converter is putting a lot of current out) and you start using more power, that might be just enough to trigger the fan to keep the unit cool.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud

I had already charged the batteries manually before I changed out the converter. They were at 13.7v when I first fired up the new converter and are holding nicely. Another comment Randy at Best Converters said was that the new unit has to "learn" the system in the trailer and the fan will run all the time until that process is done. Anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I have the same set-up. Unfortunately, I had a shop do the work, so I don't know how long the fan ran after initial installation.

The fan runs a good amount (maybe 5-10 minutes?) when I plug in after a fairly deep discharge, but in general it seems to work as intended.

Are your batteries in good shape otherwise? (You probably know that even bad batteries can show a "good" surface voltage after charging.) If the converter fan is coming on just from turning on a light, it sounds like there isn't much battery oomph...

Hope it sorts out.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tom: Our glass mat batteries are fairly new and in good shape. After two days, the batteries are still at 13.5V with a load on them. Still seems odd that the new converter has to "learn" our RV system and needs. Will keep turning things on until it seems apparent that something is not right with the system. Thanks,Tom, for your comments. Regards, Jack
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Yeah, I agree that doesn't make sense. (My mechanic also found that installation took more time than was expected.) Hope it settles out - we've been happy with ours in the end.

Tom
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am new to this converter/charger thing. Why did you upgrade your three year old system? Just curious, not critical.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My guess is that 13.5V is with the converter running, if it is, that reading doesn't tell you much more then checking the voltage on your tow vehicle. You need to check the voltage with the converter off and again after the converter has been off for at least an hour.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I completed a similar switch. My mechanic charged me 1 1/2 hours to change converters. He said it took him longer. Biggest problem was getting the old converter out. I installed composite flooring and getting the old converter out was a tight fit. It is a possible DIY job. Biggest problem is working on the floor and bending sideways in the small space between two twin beds. My big, old body doesn't bend that way any more.
When the new converter is bulk charging, the fan goes on. When it trickle charges the fan goes off. I can usually get away with one light without the fan going. Two or more, the fan goes on. The noise of the fan depends on the current draw as it is on a reostat. The fan is loud with all of the lights on, barely audible with a few. Any time there is a significant 12 v current draw, the converter puts out more than a trickle charge and the fan goes on.
If your fan is on all the time, even with no lights on, there is probably something wrong, like batteries that are worn out and draw current when they should be fully charged.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
I had the same problem installing my own. Pretty stiff after all done! Fan only runs when lights turned on, and more lights, louder fan. It comes on no matter what is turned on. The old converter ran rarely until recently when it stopped charging and the fan was off and on a lot. Batteries are fairly new, take a charge really well. At rest, after at least an hour of nothing turned on, they show 14.4V, which, as far as I can tell, is exactly where they should be. Going to call the manufacturer tech department tomorrow and see what they have to say. Taking the trailer to Airstream factory in a couple of weeks for some work and will have them take a look if I don't get it figured out in the meantime. Thanks for responding!
Jack
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I am new to this converter/charger thing. Why did you upgrade your three year old system? Just curious, not critical.
A year or so after we bought the trailer, the folks on the forums were suggesting that the original converter was just "adequate" for the job and that you might want to consider upgrading to the unit I installed. I kept that information and when our original converter quit charging and the fan was running a lot, I decided it was time to make the switch. The new converter seems to be charging very well, but the fan should not run all the time something is turned on. Not only do I think it is not correct, it is really annoying! Thanks for replying.

Jack
Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Other reasons: the AS part is a single-stage charger. The upgrade has three stages - a "normal" charge, a fast charge, and a maintenance float mode. Supposedly there's less chance of cooking the batteries. The AS part isn't known for longevity either...

That said, if I did it again, I'd probably install an IOTA converter/charger as detailed on the forum. Not that the UltraIII kit is bad, but the IOTA has a sterling reputation.

Tom
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tom: Called tech dept. at the converter company today and was told that fan running anytime there is something turned on is normal. Guess we are going to have to get used to hearing the fan! As you probably know, the more things turned on, the faster (and louder) the fan runs. Thanks for your wise overview of converters!

Jack
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRenner View Post
Tom: Called tech dept. at the converter company today and was told that fan running anytime there is something turned on is normal. Guess we are going to have to get used to hearing the fan! As you probably know, the more things turned on, the faster (and louder) the fan runs. Thanks for your wise overview of converters!
Wow...I've only ever heard the fan in a PD9260 run once - and that was on a day when it was 100 degrees in the camper (sitting at home, not being used). I've never heard it run in the trailer, but it's under the couch so I might not hear it if it is running.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote