Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I put a blue lens on mine... my friends know it's OK to knock if the Party Light is on!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
LOL. Oh Airstream. So I am camping right now with 7 other Airstreamers, and just looked outside. The Classic and the FC don't have lights above the door. But all of us with Signatures do.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I've always felt that AS missed the boat on lighting at the back side of the trailer.Most SOBs have a light up high that shines down on the utility area so you can troubleshoot water/electric and even sewer problems.
I agree that a light under the awning is a very helpful idea.
JCW
That's interesting--our 2010 28' International does have a push button light over the sewer valve area that has been very helpful. Otherwise, we're camping guys--a good flashlight is a must, with the iPhone filling the bill if we're too lazy to go back inside to get it!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
My '70s trailers have a light above the door that shines down toward the step. I've replaced the incandescent bulb with LED and find that it's a very useful light in a dark campsite (my unit boondocks a lot, and both on our own and with the unit we also do a lot of dark state parks.) The "scare light" needs a deflector, I think. Since it's bright and right around eye-level it blinds you walking toward that side of the trailer. My '75 doesn't have one and I've never wished for one. The '76 has one and I have an LED replacement for it, but I'm also thinking about some sort of deflector to direct light more up and down rather than directly into the eyes.
Our 2010 28' International has the same light fixture. We switched it to LED, but the "bulb" emits very little light and is directed towards the trailer. We just found another online that looks much better--more LED's, and at least some directed downward away from the trailer.

Not only is this useful if you leave the LED's on before you leave so it's on when you come back after dark (the LED's draw very little power, of course), it's also a nice (you should excuse the expression) highlight and makes the Airstream look even more welcoming when you come back from a hard night out--say from a local restaurant!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: light output of the fixture above the door: I wasn't impressed either, and found a big LED bulb that just barely fits and spray painted the inner surface of the fixture gloss white. It made a big difference.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On ours the lens appears to be warped. At first, I thought the lens had melted but after seeing some other AS I think the lens focuses the light down at an angle, not straight out the side. It's very helpful if you're sitting outside under the awning, draws the bugs in quite well. If you're inside, leave it off until you hear the raccoons going through the cooler you left outside, then turn it on so you can see them eating all the chocolate your wife brought along. They didn't come back, we think 4 bags of chocolate may have done them in.

We're still learning. That was our first extended trip and now we know that a.) raccoons can get into your cooler and most other things you leave outside and b.) they aren't scared of your 'scare' light.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote