Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

1977 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
outlets

We have a 1977 Trade Wind and right now 2 of our outlets dont have power coming through. They used to work fine. I tried looking for a blown fuse but done see any fuses blown? does anyone know anything else I could try or ??
Any help is appreciated!
colleen hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Two possibilities: one is a GFIC has tripped. Look for any outlet with a set of little buttons on it and press the reset on.

Second is to turn all the circuit breakers off fully then back on. Sometimes they trip without looking like they are off. If it is a GFIC circuit breaker, that will reset them also.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
If the circuit breakers are not the problem, I'd go next to removing the outlets to see if there is a wire that has broken or or come loose from a wire nut. This could either be at one of the outlets that doesn't work, or one of the ones that does. If you're not comfortable with working with AC circuits get help from someone who is. Make sure your trailer is unplugged from shore power and any power inverters are disconnected. If in doubt, use a circuit tester to check for current before touching any bare wires.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Many of the outlets on an Airstream of that era were wired in series parallel, or daisy chained. If you have a couple of outlets not working, open the one closest to the breaker box and check for loose or burned wires.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
1977 did not have GFIC beakers - unless a PO installed them. I have had beakers go bad on me - the only way to know is to get a circuit tester and check them or replace them with one you know is working - one at a time.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I had a 72 Trade Wind and them wires had been through a lot. The previous comments all good. My power inverter had been replaced but the old housing and fuse block was kept. And possibly somewhere down the line before we have the internet and this forum someone could have retired things. I would take some time to track down all of your wiring ad best you can and document the circuits. That way when you're camping in cold weather and the furnace stops working or a breaker trips you'll know where to tap the wall.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote