Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Outdoor speakers/phone jack connection...

How about this for a nutty idea:

I've been wanting to hook up a couple of cheap portable speakers on the outside of the coach and trying to figure out how until I came up with this idea: Use the telephone jack that is mounted on the streetside.

Huh? you say. I am hoping that there are four wires, instead of two, that go from the outside phone hook-up to the inside jack that is under the dinette in my '04 Bambi. I was thinking that I could go from the line out from my Sony AM/FM/CD/Ipod to the jack under the dinette. Of course one end from the stereo would either be RCA or 1/8" mini jack and the other end a spliced phone plug-jack-thing to plug into that jack under the dinette.

You audiophiles are going to tell me that the gauge of the wire is not ideal, but then again, this is to get just a little background music at the campsite.

In addtion, I'd need to have about a 10-12 foot line from the streetside phone jack to run on the ground under the trailer to get to the curbside and speakers.

I have not use or never really see a time that I would use a standard telephone hook-up, so that is not an issue.

Make a simular conection for the jack on the outside to go to the remote speakers, and you have Django Reinhart playing!

Can anyone confirm the four or two wire set-up in their coach? If there are only two wires, my only other option is mono instead of stereo.

Jonathan
Old 08-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
How about this

Wireless outdoor speaker system

Then you are not limited to the wire that connects to the coach 2 speakers make it capable of stereo, one speaker would be mono.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
speakers

Home Depot sells wireless outdoor speakers that are impressive. A member of our North Texas units has a pair and the range is extraordinary. They're sturdy and weatherproof. The one's he has are green and domed & rechargable.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Not even an audiophile thing, the gauge of the wire isn't heavy enough for speakers.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Note to self: Run speaker wire to the curbside belly pan during restoration of 1963 Overlander.....
Old 08-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Run a bunch of spares everywhere, different gauges. Never have enough and makes repair easy.

John
Old 08-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Reminds me of the time I pre-wired stereo speaker while my new home was nbeing framed out. Did a real neat job only I accidently ran the right speaker connection to some rooms and the left to to others. Made for very interesting sound.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
AlanSD.

I too roughed in wire for my stereo as I had all the walls open. What I did learn was do not run speaker wire along electrical conduit, ESPECIALLY if there are going to be dimmers on that run!

It would not have been bad if all my music was in the key of G minor, as that was the humming I was getting when I tested the system.

Re-wired. Speaker wire about a foot away from anything electrical.

Jonathan
Old 08-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hey TH,
What if the camper next to you has wireless speakers and is listening to music that you don't like.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I reroute my black water hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Hey TH,
What if the camper next to you has wireless speakers and is listening to music that you don't like.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hey Mando-Dave.

In case I camp next to you and I have those wireless speakers and you decide to use Tin Huts idea, what kind of music do you like!

Jonathan
Old 08-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Use the phone wire - It won't work very well.

I'm with mando Dave on this one.......

I don't want to listen to my neighbors music when I'm on holiday! I camp to get away..... enjoy the peace and quiet, listen to the crickets etc.

My neighbors kids, pets and drying laundry are not welcome in my camp site (although I do like kids, pets and clean laundry) and neither is their noise.

awaiting flames....... J

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I too roughed in wire for my stereo as I had all the walls open. What I did learn was do not run speaker wire along electrical conduit, ESPECIALLY if there are going to be dimmers on that run!
Run a wire for any distance next to an ac wire and you have a transformer. Keep dc and ac as far apart as possible.

John
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Wireless speakers

Tin Hut mentioned the outdoor speakers that we use. I got turned on to these about 7 years ago when they first came out. I bought a pair for use around the pool. Worked great and the battery life was about 2 days of all day usage (overnight recharge). Then I decided to get more and discovered that Recoton (now bankrupt) had discontinued them. Started searching ebay and bought a total of 3 more. All had bad 12v sealed lead acid batteries, but it was a common size and the newer ones were more powerful and had solved the problems of earlier designs. Then earlier this summer Advent (owned by Recton at one time, but now part of Thomson), reintroduced the exact same speaker but minus the battery (Home Depot is carrying them). You have to install 8 D cells (rechargable NiMH or NiCad or disposable). I bought one more so as to have a 3 pairs. We typically carry 4 with us when camping. The transmitter, while it comes with an ac adapter, is actually a 12v unit, so I just wired it in permanently to the audio and power. As Tin Hut mentioned, the range is pretty incredible especially considering that the transmitter is inside a dual wall aluminum shell (ie the A/S). The cost of the new units that HD is carrying is about $100. You can get 8 rechargable NiMH (much better than NiCad) for a bit over $50 if you search the web.

We really enjoy the speakers as you can move the sound close to you so that you don't have to turn it up if the trailer is a distance from where you want some tunes. The sound is also pretty impressive as the current sourcing capacity of the battery(s) allows the 20w amp to produce very nice bass as well a good upper frequencies from the seperate tweater also mounted in the unit. These are water resistant (ie rain, okay, dunking not okay). If there should be someone else using this system in the vicinity, the transmitting freq can be changed to avoid conflicts (at least at the technical level)...nothing can be done for conflicts over tastes in music.

BTW, don't confuse the earlier white shelled version that Advent sold. Those had no bass and only used disposable batteries. The ones that I have discussed are a green plastic unit model # ADVW801

David
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I will say that after camping with David and his speakers I've developed a fondness for Wayne Newton's Donkashayne, and when the party really gets going he breaks out the Slim Whitman stuff.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks

Tin Hut,
Thanks for loaning us that great Wayne Newton CD, it was what we had been lacking at our summertime rallys

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

I camp with a Bluegrass camping club. We usually go to music festivals, and
it is acceptable behavior to play live music pretty much around the clock.
Stereos are perceived to be noise and a close cousin to the generator.
But you've got me thinking....Wayne Newton Bluegrass style ?????????????

PS....I don't think even Summerkid can spell Danke Schoen. It's German
for Thanck you. In French it means Shut up Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:16 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Not even an audiophile thing, the gauge of the wire isn't heavy enough for speakers.

John
Second that. You'll most likely wind up cooking the wires if you do the telephone jack thing....but I like your thinking....very outside the box.

Three suggestions.

Run some wire somehow.
Open the windows and turn up the volume. I can wake the neighboorhood with ours.

Do the wireless bit.

Don't use the phone wires, as tempting as it may be.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Janet and everyone.

I have to make it clear that I am not a real PITA when it comes to music in the campsite. I absolutely love outdoor sounds with out the use of artificial mechanisms as a stereo, boom-box, what have you. Most of the time, music is contained to within the wall(s) of our AS. To give you an idea of how loud (or soft) we play our out-door music, you really can't hear it much, if at all, by the time you walk to the edge of our campsite.

This is not only common sense, but also being mindful of other people around you.

I only wish others who blast (c)rap, hiphop, or other non-sense would be as polite. And quiet those kids down. Thant's what duct tape is for.

Jonathan
Old 08-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
wie geht's, dave?

oh yes i CAN spell danke schoen

Und Danke für die Subkultur Airstream uber alles because i don't know the dingdongest thing about stereo wiring.

Auf Wiedersehen,
SK
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote